Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone use nutserts when installing their side skirts

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Anyone use nutserts when installing their side skirts

I am considering adding side skirts but would like to be able to remove them if damaged without having to drill out all the rivets. Has anyone put their skirts on with nutserts?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,283 Likes on 928 Posts

Just use 3m tape - the good stuff tho. Do it the whole length and you are good to go. No drilling into the body.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I would not use 3m tape to hold on your side skirts. Not only is gravity pulling down on them but the sideskirts themselves generate a small amount of downforce that further contributes to their tendency to want to fall off the car. This tendency is further exacerbated by going over bumps in the road and/or improper surface preparation when using tape. Install them using rivets, which fastens them to the rockers squarely and securely. In this application you want a mechanical fastener.

Good companies like C7 Carbon and ACS ship them with rivets for a reason. It takes literally 2 seconds to drill out a rivet, which is as much time as it took the OP to make this post questioning drilling out rivets and as much time as the next poster suggested to use 3m tape.
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (03-19-2019)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

If drilled out, won’t the remnants rattle around inside the rocker panel?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

When I drilled my side skirt rivets out, most of the rivet stayed on the drill bit and the remaining I was able to remove on the bottom/back side of panel.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Mordeth - I understand where you are coming from however remember that the front of the skirt is bolted at stock location and the rear of the skirt is riveted in place to the wheel arches. The only part unsupported is the middle. If by some reason the tape let go those 2 solid mounting points would still hold the skirt up.

I felt this was perfectly fine and went 3m in the mid section - others may not feel the same and they are free to do as they wish. However I am using the strongest tape they offer - i would not trust cheap shitty stuff.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Mordeth - I understand where you are coming from however remember that the front of the skirt is bolted at stock location and the rear of the skirt is riveted in place to the wheel arches. The only part unsupported is the middle. If by some reason the tape let go those 2 solid mounting points would still hold the skirt up.

I felt this was perfectly fine and went 3m in the mid section - others may not feel the same and they are free to do as they wish. However I am using the strongest tape they offer - i would not trust cheap shitty stuff.
Understood. And that does work. But if he has to drill out the end rivets and unscrew bolts and his intent is to avoid drilling out rivets then the implication of his initial post is that he is trying to avoid drilling ANY rivets. So your initial response suggests he use tape instead of rivets, which isn't even avoided in your second more thoroughly explained scenario that uses tape, rivets and bolts/screws.

OP: Just use rivets and properly secure the entire length of the piece to the car as the manufacturer intended. The part is designed (even from GM on the ZR1) to be entirely supported by mechanical fasteners. If they need to be drilled out then drill them out and don't fret over this task. This is not difficult work, I assure you. If you have a drill and a bit set and aren't disabled then you can accomplish this simple task. You use a bit that is just slightly larger than the hole in the pop rivet and drill just enough to remove the head. The rivets will come right out and anything left behind can be extracted.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:36 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

I used screws to attach my side skirts. They have been on for almost 10 years with out any issues.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:42 AM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Did it this way 2 times myself, best 3m adhesive, screws with captive nuts and 10-32 SS screws and nuts in the rear, no problems at all!
Also keeps debris from getting between the rocker and skirt and takes up any gap between the front fender and rocker.
And if you ever wanted to remove them there would be no evidence at all. No paint scuff, holes or possible cracking.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm still thinking NUTSERTS or RIVNUTS might be a good way to go on securing ZR1 skirts to Rocker Panels

Were ALL the Years of C6ZR1's Riveted (Skirts) or did any use those Plastic SCRIVETS
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM
StingrayJL
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rocker side skirt

Really I'm surprised some of you are just using a 3M double-Sided tape because is really exerting a downforce and gravity will always pull a down force as well. I have my blade spoiler using double sided 3M tape and some silicone adhesive and the 3M tape is not holding it well smh!!!

Just use 3m tape - the good stuff tho. Do it the whole length and you are good to go. No drilling into the body.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

3m makes a lot of different tapes - if you do it right there are no issues. Do it wrong and they will fly off. Plus...there really is not much downforce acting on them at all.

Plus - they are bolted at the front and rear...so the tape just supports the middle.

Last edited by Apocolipse; 03-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
Were ALL the Years of C6ZR1's Riveted (Skirts) or did any use those Plastic SCRIVETS
They were riveted from GM. Follow the links in the posts below to find sources for the rivets.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598255513

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592490261

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592490261
Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

I've decided to use ALUMINUM 3/16" Rivets with 5/8" Dia Heads...

I have a MARSTON Rivet Gun that takes a pretty good bit of force to pop
the Rivet But can be done.
I mocked the KAPALINI (Ebay) Skirt in Place with a couple of Rivets on
Each Side and then easily removed them by drilling a bit of the center out
and then using a thin putty knife and hammer the 5/8" Head sliced right off.

I found that any remaining (drilled out) Remnants will exit the rocker panel
thru misc opening if you back up and apply the brakes hard...

Notice that Im using the OE/GM Flares that I bought online for $216 as I dont
like the unfinished side of ANY of the Reproduction Flares (Mudflaps)
Flare Hardware in the one picture is just temporary. Ive found some nice GM fasteners
and U Nuts in salvage yards vs the Incredibly high on line prices

Old 03-07-2019, 05:50 AM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

If you doubt the hold of the tape try taking the front emblem off.
Mine has not blown off yet.
Would I use tape on a front spoiler? NO
Do whatever makes you feel good, I prefer not to drill holes and rivet, etc.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:05 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I used plastic rivets from BMW to attach mine.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:08 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Has anyone used a specific type, size, part number of SCRIVET
to Hold Skirts onto Rocker Panels tightly.....

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use nutserts when installing their side skirts

Old 03-16-2019, 09:19 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Has anyone used a specific type, size, part number of SCRIVET
to Hold Skirts onto Rocker Panels tightly.....

do not use those. Use these, you can get the plastic rivet tool from harbor freight. I work for Bmw and these little ******* are strong. I used them on my z06 and my skirts are solid.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232745188880
Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

HouseS2k, Asking IF youve removed/drilled the plastic Rivits Out vs The 3/16" x 5/8" Dia Head
ALUMINUM Ones Im ready to use now......

The Aluminum Heads Drill Out and Shear off easily but I was thinking the Scrivets would be better yet...

Share more knoledge about applying and REMOVING the Plastic Rivets that LOOK very much like the
Aluminum Ones

Last edited by CamarosRus; 03-16-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

HouseS2k, Asking IF youve removed/drilled the plastic Rivits Out vs The 3/16" x 5/8" Dia Head
ALUMINUM Ones Im ready to use now......

The Aluminum Heads Drill Out and Shear off easily but I was thinking the Scrivets would be better yet...

Share more knoledge about applying and REMOVING the Plastic Rivets that LOOK very much like the
Aluminum Ones
The application is the same, removal is 100 times easier. When we remove them from the fenders on bmws, we use a skinny putty knife that is sharpened. Push under the head and small tap slices the head off. Blow out the part that falls in with air and done.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone use nutserts when installing their side skirts