Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Upgrading to a C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM
StephenZ16
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Upgrading to a C6 Z06

Im looking at upgrading to a C6 Z06. Besides the cylinder head issues, is there anything i need to look out for? I test drove a 2007 Z06 with 42k miles and the clutch had very little pressure to it. Would it be the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder?

I have a 2004 C5 Z06 but i dont know that much about the C6.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:23 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Love the Z16,,, A lot of guys in here came from the C5Z platform ( including myself). C6Z is a whole other animal. Although 42K isn't considered high... It is enough ( depending on how it was driven) to warrant replacing the clutch. If its me looking at that car... I am having about $5K in reserve for heads, clutch. Unless of course you wrench on it yourself.

My advise would be to drive 2 or 3 and compare...GL w search..
Old 12-12-2018, 10:27 AM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I think they're easy cars to maintain. You're already aware of the head issue, and if you have basic tools and a little know-how it's a very easy job to swap them. Plus, it lets you spend some quality time with your new car.

Outside of the heads, I replaced the brake rotors and pads (crazy good deal on PowerStop Z26 kit), changed all the fluids, and replaced the sway bar end links. I keep her on a battery tender when not in use and just drive the heck out of it on nice days. My clutch doesn't have a lot of pressure to it, so not sure if that's just how these are? Motor mounts, axle nuts and fan connectors are some other maintenance items that tend to surface from time to time. This forum is great for information on any issues you may encounter down the road.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenZ16
Im looking at upgrading to a C6 Z06. Besides the cylinder head issues, is there anything i need to look out for? I test drove a 2007 Z06 with 42k miles and the clutch had very little pressure to it. Would it be the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder?

I have a 2004 C5 Z06 but i dont know that much about the C6.
Without seeing and more importantly, feeling it, tough to tell, but very often a simple change in fluid fixes that. The headlight lenses on these things fog badly. There are two or three vendors that make replacements. Eventually they all have a problem with the top of the driver's side fuel pump cracking and leaking. GM extended the coverage on that to 10 years but a 2007 will be over. When it happens, and eventually it will, that can be a couple hundred in parts and if you cannot do it yourself probably 2 grand in labor. While the suspension is moved out of the way replace the right tank venturi pump and fuel level pickup. Some go bad, some don't but if you have the suspension out of the way that is the time to do it. The harmonic balancer wobble of doom is the next thing to check for.

Then the usuals, electrical system a mess from a wannabe stereo installer? Brakes OK? Suspension worn? Interior clean?

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading to a C6 Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Upgrading to a C6 Z06