Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Head choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 PM
Z064me2enjoy
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Head choice

2010 Z06 48K, no problems to date! Just decided to go ahead address the potential valve guide issues. I’ve found these repaired heads on the forum vs possibly just going through AHP and purchasing there heads. The repaired heads listed is priced without swapping out stock LS7 heads which I can resale for around $1,000.00 to recapture some of the expense. I don’t foresee me drag racing the Z, but would like to feel comfortable about the heads and possibly do a mild cam upgrade for the streets. What’s the pros and cons of purchasing a quality heads as mentioned below vs heads from AHP or possibly sending my heads off to Total Engine Airflow for rebuild?

1) LSX-LS7 6 bolt heads fresh from the shop with Ti intake and new Stainless exhaust valves. New guides/seals. Chamber size 57cc. BTR spring kit. $2500
OEM rockers with trunion upgrade $250

2) LME fixed LS7 headsHeads have, roughly, 2500mi since they were done by LME. PAC .660 lift springs, stainless exhaust valves, OEM intakes, new guides, ported, and milled to roughly 64.5cc. $2500 plus shipping and fees
TSP 7.750" pushrods. Have the same mileage as the heads. $75 shipped
ARP headbolts. Torqued twice. $100 shipped

3) SPS ported/Fixed ls7 headsFresh stock casting ls7 heads from SPS. They have stainless exhaust valves and powder metal valve guides as well as their CNC porting program. They have not been bolted on an engine yet since all work was done. $2200.00

4) AHP heads....Package 4 LS7 Cylinder Heads

$1,573.00
Read moreAHP Hardened PM Valve Guides
  • AHP Hardened PM Valve Guides (+$0.00)
  • Moldstar90 Valve Guides (+$600.00)
AHP Hardened PM Valve GuidesMoldstar90 Valve Guides
New Stock LS7 Springs
No Porting
  • No Porting (+$0.00)

Last edited by Z064me2enjoy; 01-28-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

It all depends on who these so called quality heads are built by. I trusted AHP and that's who i went with. To me I feel better knowing they have done countless heads for the LS7 and for that reason I feel comfortable with their work. You can get fixed heads from them for under 2k. It's a no brainer to me. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 PM
Z064me2enjoy
Racer

Your right at least going with AHP you know what your getting!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Z064me2enjoy
Your right at least going with AHP you know what your getting!
Yup! Big fan of AHP! Outright superior customer service and they are probably the number one shop doing LS7 heads. MS90 Is also and nice feature almost exclusive to AHP. My Z made some serious power with there set up too! If your on the fence about which one give Khole a call.....I have a feeling it’ll push you on the right direction. 🇺🇸
Old 01-29-2019, 09:15 AM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

You will probably have an over welming response to going with AHP heads. Like I said they do hundreds of LS7 heads per year and I havent heard of any that have failed. I recommend you give Kohle a call and just chat. He is very friendly and easy to talk to and will be happy to answer any question you have. He will even make a recommendation on what head setup is best for you without trying to upsell you to something you won't need. I planned to stay relatively stock so he recommended his package 4 heads with powdered metal guides and no additional add ons. That still includes the new ferra exhaust valves and tumble finished intake valves and a performance valve job. I the end it's your decision on what you do but I recommend looking at all options before you pull that trigger. I would rather spend a little more now than regret it later.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:21 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Don't put used heads on your LS7. Unless you pulled them straight out of the box from someone you'd literally trust your motor with, I'd suggest you send used heads out to a competent machine shop for inspection.

Me personally, I'd go with AHP for their Moldstar 90 valve guides alone; I'm a big fan of the Beryllium-free copper alloy and it's thermal-conductivity properties. Look up the links below and educate yourself more on it, it's pretty fascinating. There are handful of different companies who offers great heads that you probably couldn't go wrong with, but what set AHP apart from the pack for me was their knowledge of the LS7 specifically. The LS7 cylinder head is the beauty behind the entire motor, and it's not simply just another LS cylinder head. AHP has a great new CNC porting option now that rivals the best out there, and regardless of whatever heads you do choose, I'd suggest you to consider PSI or PAC valve springs and Ferrea exhaust valves.

http://www.moldstar.com/MatlApplications.html

http://www.moldstar.com/MotorsportApplications.htm
The following users liked this post:
Formula8 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:19 PM
Z064me2enjoy
Racer

Thanks for all your personal experiences and recommendations with LS7 heads. I will take your suggestions and chat with Kohle at AHP for his guidance. Like Allstate I think I will be in good hands! Happy Motoring......
Old 01-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Edbon
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoiler

1 ahp
Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all your personal experiences and recommendations with LS7 heads. I will take your suggestions and chat with Kohle at AHP for his guidance. Like Allstate I think I will be in good hands! Happy Motoring......
Call some other places too man! It’s always good to have some comparisons and it will give you a better understanding of why all these guys on here are constantly going on and on about AHP! I know sometimes it may look like we’re all a bunch a dudes on Kohle’s payroll or some ****, we definitely aren’t just extremely pleased with how they do business.

Ill give a good example: when I spoke with Kohle and gave him a run down of my goals the build and my cars intended use I let him know I’d also be changing cam’s and asked if they could do that as well. He replied of course we can and told me about the cams they offer and explained picking the right cam for my car. After he did that his next response really surprised me.....he straight up said to me, we can provide a cam for you and our cams are great! How ever in your situation with you build and goals there is a “best” option out there and that may not be us. He gave me a few recommendations and I went on my quest!

Last edited by 73DBG; 01-30-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Z064me2enjoy
Racer

I’m pretty convinced for my needs this is the way to go:

Go with AHP’s Package 4 Cylinder Heads (includes):
- Disassemble and Assembly of LS7 cylinder heads
- Performance Valve Job (show to add 5hp+ over the stock valve job)
- Resurface Heads (or milling of heads)
- Clean and Bead Blast entire head (so they look brand new)
- Hardened Aftermarket Powder Metal Valve Guides (Harder than aftermarket bronze guides)
- Stock Titanium Intake Valves Treated and Polished
- Ferrea Competition Plus Exhaust Valves F2042P (85 grams)
- New Viton Valve Seals and machined valve locks
Total price for American Heritage Package 4 LS7 heads: $1,358 (plus return shipping W/insurance)

Plus upgrading to to the MS90 guides. Using there head install kit.

Last edited by Z064me2enjoy; 01-30-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:53 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

I’m pretty convinced for my needs this is the way to go:

Go with AHP’s Package 4 Cylinder Heads (includes):
- Disassemble and Assembly of LS7 cylinder heads
- Performance Valve Job (show to add 5hp+ over the stock valve job)
- Resurface Heads (or milling of heads)
- Clean and Bead Blast entire head (so they look brand new)
- Hardened Aftermarket Powder Metal Valve Guides (Harder than aftermarket bronze guides)
- Stock Titanium Intake Valves Treated and Polished
- Ferrea Competition Plus Exhaust Valves F2042P (85 grams)
- New Viton Valve Seals and machined valve locks
Total price for American Heritage Package 4 LS7 heads: $1,358 (plus return shipping W/insurance)

Plus upgrading to to the MS90 guides. Using there head install kit.
That will definitely take care of you, now if I may....help you spend a little more of your money lol(this forum is great at that!) doing the CHE trunion upgrade is smart “while your in there”(that phrase pops up a lot) and if you can swing it scrap the GM lifters and upgrade. I’d recommend the Johnson 2110’s personally. If you add those two upgrades to the package 4 you’ll be looking real good man! Kind of a preemptive strike on some known weak points, take them out before they have an opportunity to get you.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Z064me2enjoy
Racer

Thanks for the recommendation! I think that would be a wise addition....
Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 PM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG

That will definitely take care of you, now if I may....help you spend a little more of your money lol(this forum is great at that!) doing the CHE trunion upgrade is smart “while your in there”(that phrase pops up a lot) and if you can swing it scrap the GM lifters and upgrade. I’d recommend the Johnson 2110’s personally. If you add those two upgrades to the package 4 you’ll be looking real good man! Kind of a preemptive strike on some known weak points, take them out before they have an opportunity to get you.
This. Man I wish I'd checked the lifters or better yet, replaced them and looked at the cam for wear. I was right there. Now I have to cam the car to justify pulling the heads again and swapping lifters...
Old 01-30-2019, 03:39 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Those LME's sound like Jayyy's heads, I would run them. LME builds some great things.

Johnson 2110's are the least in lifters you should do.

Get notified of new replies

To Head choice

Quick Reply: Head choice