Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

2 piece rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 2 piece rotors

In my quest to get the car under 3k lbs I've been looking at getting some 2 piece rotors to help drop some weight, and in a good place as well....I was wondering if there are any other places that carry the Coleman's aside from Zip and another place called Modified Corvettes?....Both come in around $1600 shipped for a full set.

As of this posting Zip is "out of stock" while Modified Corvettes is showing stock.

The car currently weighs 3064lbs....with 17" Welds on order along with the tires and then 2 piece rotors as well as front sway removed it's looking like a 90lb weight loss, with most of all of that being unsprung weight at that....I may also do some other little stuff like wiper delete and drain the washer fluid, the car never sees rain.

Thx, Sean
Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

There are plenty of other options besides the colemans. DBA, Gyrodisc, etc etc.

I run the zip fronts, the rears are just not worth it IMO and you can get just as good or better results IMO going to base brakes.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:44 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Used to hear good things about a place called Performance AFX selling them back when I was interested. I believe they used Coleman rings but machined their own hats.

AMT Motorsports does something similar IIRC...I think they use DBA rings and machine their own hats.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:14 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
There are plenty of other options besides the colemans. DBA, Gyrodisc, etc etc.

I run the zip fronts, the rears are just not worth it IMO and you can get just as good or better results IMO going to base brakes.
I looked at those others u named and they were heavier than the places that use the Coleman's, although cheaper as well....I looked into the base brakes swap but I can't pull myself to do it cuz I love the way the stock brakes look.

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Used to hear good things about a place called Performance AFX selling them back when I was interested. I believe they used Coleman rings but machined their own hats.

AMT Motorsports does something similar IIRC...I think they use DBA rings and machine their own hats.
Performance AFX is still there but their prices are higher than all the others....and from what I was able to find they only carried the floating and HD rotors....not the regular 2 piece ones
Old 05-31-2019, 05:03 PM
RobGOV-DCZ
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

I actually have a set off my car I will sell you. Approx 1500 miles on them. I bought them from Zip Corvette. Around 9lbs lighter than factory rotor. PM me if interested.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 AM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
That's what I have on my car:I did a brake job recently and put new rotors on the hats.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Get ahold of Ken @KNSBrakes
The following users liked this post:
Sean_C (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

If I recall correctly, there's a "standard" set which is thinner than stock, and a "heavy duty" set which is the same thickness. Yes the standards are lighter, but even say on their page they're not recommended for track use. I'd never put those on my car, but hey you do you.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

The DBA and Girodisc rotors are intended for road racing so the weight savings is much more minimal.
The following users liked this post:
Sean_C (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Base model rear calipers with 2 piece rotors will save at least 10 lbs per wheel
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Get ahold of Ken @KNSBrakes
Thx, I'll give him a shout when I'm ready to pull the trigger on them and see what he can do for me.

Originally Posted by freddyvette
If I recall correctly, there's a "standard" set which is thinner than stock, and a "heavy duty" set which is the same thickness. Yes the standards are lighter, but even say on their page they're not recommended for track use. I'd never put those on my car, but hey you do you.
Yea I don't track the car or anything like that....cars a cruiser and part time Mexican citizen....while the base brakes would save me a couple more pounds I'm not willing to give up my stock brakes for it.

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
The DBA and Girodisc rotors are intended for road racing so the weight savings is much more minimal.
Yea from what I've seen and read the sets that use the Coleman rotors are the lightest ones out aside from the super expensive titanium ones.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:14 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sean_C
Yea I don't track the car or anything like that....cars a cruiser and part time Mexican citizen....while the base brakes would save me a couple more pounds I'm not willing to give up my stock brakes for it.
Again, your car, your choice. However, your preferences are not making much sense.

A weaker rotor up front will worsen your braking performance and resilience much more than base calipers in the rear. I know exactly what happens in Mexico and you've got to be prepared for a 170-20 stop. Good luck with those thin rotors.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Originally Posted by freddyvette
Again, your car, your choice. However, your preferences are not making much sense.

A weaker rotor up front will worsen your braking performance and resilience much more than base calipers in the rear. I know exactly what happens in Mexico and you've got to be prepared for a 170-20 stop. Good luck with those thin rotors.
Well I have yet to see anything where any accident or malfunction was reported and these "weak" and "thin" rotors were the root cause.... Many ppl seem to be running them with no issues aside from the heavy track guys at which they make the heavier duty rotor for.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sean_C
Well I have yet to see anything where any accident or malfunction was reported and these "weak" and "thin" rotors were the root cause.... Many ppl seem to be running them with no issues aside from the heavy track guys at which they make the heavier duty rotor for.
I'm talking about rear base brakes, not front.

You won't likely experience a failure apart from warping the rotors without sufficient cooldown. Then your wheel will shimmy during every stop. It's annoying but not the end of the world.

Last edited by freddyvette; 06-10-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I have them on my car, and rings need replaced after an event, because it tore through them so quickly. So if you don't mind the added cost of $400+ in rotor rings every event or every 10-20 hard stops, go for it.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
I have them on my car, and rings need replaced after an event, because it tore through them so quickly. So if you don't mind the added cost of $400+ in rotor rings every event or every 10-20 hard stops, go for it.
That bad huh?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Pretty much whats expected. Your welcome to come look at mine and how they have a huge lip after not much use. The slots are almost gone.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 piece rotors

Quick Reply: 2 piece rotors