Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Doug Rippie shock Install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Doug Rippie shock Install question

So I installed my Rippie shicks and was wondering how much you guys collapsed the upper shock bushings?.When I did mine I tightened the top shock not until the bushing started to just compress and the nut started to feel tighter.
Is this correct for this application?
Also has anyone noticed since the install that the lower air dam seems to scrape more going over speed bumps or hitting potholes?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by zblackz06
So I installed my Rippie shicks and was wondering how much you guys collapsed the upper shock bushings?.When I did mine I tightened the top shock not until the bushing started to just compress and the nut started to feel tighter.
Is this correct for this application?
Also has anyone noticed since the install that the lower air dam seems to scrape more going over speed bumps or hitting potholes?
tightened mine about same as you did. I checked again (about 300 miles later) and they're the same...ever so slightly compressed. Should be ok

Not sure if I noticed any change in scraping, although initial 'impact' absorption does seem milder (better ride?), while further stroke seems a bit more buttoned down and firmer than OE. But, this is just from mildly puttering about on street/highway. First on-track experience with them will be this Friday
Old 06-05-2019, 03:29 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Thanks man, I have just driven it slightly around town so far but plan on road tripping her up to Watkins Glen at the end of the month and want to make sure everything is o.k.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:38 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Yeah that sounds about right. I over tightened mine and it broke. Made a hell of a racket to get home. Just slightly compressed works.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:25 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Years ago I worked for a suspension parts manufacturer, then the procedure was to tighten the nut until the rubber bushing was the same diameter as the washer that held it in.
Maybe this will help you.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I read a thread a few weeks back that said the DRM's lower your car like 3/4" due to how they are built? Not sure how much truth there is to that, but a lot of people seem to believe it.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Premiumspeed
I read a thread a few weeks back that said the DRM's lower your car like 3/4" due to how they are built? Not sure how much truth there is to that, but a lot of people seem to believe it.
They’re shorter overall but they did not visibly lower my car.
it’s the springs that support the car.
I can guess that if their gas pressure would be lower than OE (they were easier to compress by hand) it may make a tiny difference, but not on mine.
Anyway, just in case, I had mine re-aligned

Last edited by tommyc6z06; 06-05-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:21 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Years ago I worked for a suspension parts manufacturer, then the procedure was to tighten the nut until the rubber bushing was the same diameter as the washer that held it in.
Me to and I thought that was standard practice but if I do that I am seriously compressing the Delrin bushing and that's not even close to the size of the supplied washers.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:23 AM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Premiumspeed
I installed some recently and they made zero difference in ride height, even after several thousand miles.

They ride better than the factory shocks for sure, but in my opinion they were nowhere near all the hype I had read about them. I don't regret the purchase, but if you're expecting shock and awe as this site can sometimes lead one to expect, you might be disappointed.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 06-06-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

My DRM shocks have been on the car for like 7-8 years now, where I used to live I had no issue going up the driveway to park in the garage then after the shock change I would drive in as before and my front air dam would scrap lightly. It turns out from my research back then that the DRM Bilsteins do lower your car slightly (like 1/8" or so). In most cases it's not an issue the majority of the time but in my case it was slightly since I didn't want to keep scraping my air dam.

I ended up angling the car into the driveway to avoid the contact, and I have to do that too now at my current residence.

Tony
Old 06-06-2019, 10:22 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

New control arms, amt spherical and arm shocks. Car is definitely lower and first two items wouldn't have made a difference. Looks better lower anyway.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
This is what I did and believe drm recommended.

Get notified of new replies

To Doug Rippie shock Install question

Quick Reply: Doug Rippie shock Install question