Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

AutoX Damage: Front Bumper Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default AutoX Damage: Front Bumper Question

So evidently I'm not the greatest AutoX driver ever and managed to hit a cone fast and hard enough to cause some damage. The pictures show the driver side fender liner separated from the front bumper. I have had this issue on passenger side and the fender liner can easily be repositioned and refastened. This damage is more severe and I cannot move the fender liner to the front bumper. Looking at pictures you can see the brake duct cracked and dislocated from its correct position. You can see the plastic fingers of the bumper so the brake duct is shoved up from mowing down the cone at AutoX. I also included a picture showing that the bumper is sagging so that you can see the ground through the cap between bumper and headlight.

I do not care about the crack in the brake duct. I am not road racing so some air escaping doesn't matter.

My question is can the brake duct/bumper be repositioned without removing the whole bumper assembly.

DH

Old 06-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

yes !!!
Old 06-09-2019, 01:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Pounder
yes !!!
Great. How long do you think the job would take so I can get a fair deal on fixing it?

DH
Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I’s like a 10 minute job. No front bumper removal. Although it looks like that clipnut might have pulled through the bumper so you’ll probably need to repair that first once the wheel liner comes off.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:11 AM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

But was the cone still upright and in the box?

Sorry about the damage, I pegged a cone at 75 mph at an autocross last month but only had to polish the clear coat on the front bumper. I have removed the brake duct without removing the front bumper. If you don’t want to replace the cracked duct just drill some parallel holes and zip tie the crack shut.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ttx350z
I’s like a 10 minute job. No front bumper removal. Although it looks like that clipnut might have pulled through the bumper so you’ll probably need to repair that first once the wheel liner comes off.
For sure the clip broke the fender which as you know is very common. I just have no idea how the components come together so was worried it might be a big job. Do you know exactly what needs to be taken apart? I'm have a new chin spoiler thats going on at the same time so hopefully just a few more minutes of labor.

That must have been a hard cone I hit

DH
Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 03Zcrit
But was the cone still upright and in the box?

Sorry about the damage, I pegged a cone at 75 mph at an autocross last month but only had to polish the clear coat on the front bumper. I have removed the brake duct without removing the front bumper. If you don’t want to replace the cracked duct just drill some parallel holes and zip tie the crack shut.
Thanks glad to know that the bumper does not need to be removed. Its just hard to tell how that assembly gets repositioned by lookin under the car.

The cone was not upright .......... it wasn't even on the track anymore........I'm surprised it didn't come home with me

DH

Get notified of new replies

To AutoX Damage: Front Bumper Question

Quick Reply: AutoX Damage: Front Bumper Question