Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Minor rotor chip, should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 08:23 PM
Lights ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Minor CC rotor scrape/chip(?), should I be concerned?

I think this has been there for years, certainly before my ownership. It has a filed down appearance. There’s no low spots if that makes sense, it’s just rough. No cracks. And the side of the rotor after this is smooth. No balance issues up to 188~ mph. 70-85 is perfectly smooth. Initially I had a slight vibration when I got the car, it came and went away at times, a road force took care of most of it, and over time it went away. These are original rotors with no balance holes. Certainly have never been replaced.

Any cause for concern?

Last edited by Lights ZR1; 09-01-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:05 PM
CamayroZ
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I have probably 110k mi now Porsche’s version of CCB (PCCB) since 2003. I think that our ZR1 and the Porsche are both made by Brembo.

In the Porsche world they allow rotor tip damage of 2mm depth, 10mm length and up to 3 per rotor. Damage usually happens by stone flying in the wheel, or, when mounting wheels. For the latter always use 2Xmounting wheel dowels.

If this were my car, I would not worry about it but keep a close eye on it.

Ask your GM dealer what is the maximum allowable CCB damage?
The following users liked this post:
SivaSuryaKshatriya (09-10-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 10:07 PM
Lights ZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CamayroZ
I have probably 110k mi now Porsche’s version of CCB (PCCB) since 2003. I think that our ZR1 and the Porsche are both made by Brembo.

In the Porsche world they allow tip damage of 2mm depth, 10mm length and up to 3 per rotor. Damage usually happens by stone flying in the wheel, or, when mounting wheels. For the latter always use 2Xmounting wheel dowels.

If this were my car, I would not worry about it but keep a close eye on it.

Ask your GM dealer what is the maximum allowable CCB damage?
I believe they are the same, 15.5 in front 15 rear. I know these are the same rotors as the Ferrari Enzo also.

I found a document on these forums about that, apparently it’s 20mm long and 4 or 5 mm wide/deep, 3 maximum chips.

I can’t even get anything to flake off this area unless I really try. I will monitor it. These brakes performed flawlessly from a 188-75 mph HARD stop.

GM’s guidelines:
Damage to the brake rotor edge and friction surface at 3 or more points exceeding the following specification:
Specification
Maximum width 4 m m (0.16 in)
Maximum depth 3 m m (0.12 in)
Maximum length 20mm (0.79in)
Chips to the brake rotor friction surface exceeding the following specification: Specification
Maximum number of chips 3
Maximum friction surface affected (length x width x length) 40 cubic mm (1.57 cubic in)

I’m not sure this is for carbon ceramics, the page is for a 2015 Corvette. I’d imagine steel and carbon brakes will be similar for damage.

Last edited by Lights ZR1; 09-01-2022 at 10:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lights ZR1:
CamayroZ (09-01-2022), SivaSuryaKshatriya (09-10-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 10:18 PM
CamayroZ
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I think that you are OK, just be careful when wheel mounting. I always use dowels and slide insulation foam over the rotor tops to protect the rotor and inside my wheels.

Where you did 188mph shall remain undisclosed…I do miss going to MT 20 years ago…
Old 09-01-2022, 10:21 PM
Lights ZR1
Burning Brakes

I think that you are OK, just be careful when wheel mounting. I always use dowels and slide insulation foam over the rotor tops to protect the rotor and inside my wheels.

Where you did 188mph shall remain undisclosed…I do miss going to MT 20 years ago…
The HUD said 186, I know it was more than that, it was over 5500 rpm in 6th, that’s 188~. I know at these speeds our speedos start to understate and gear ratio calcs agree with me. Even at normal highway speeds, say 75-80, not totally uncommon to see GPS to read exact or 1 mph over. Yes location will remain undisclosed , the speedo was climbing FAST and 200 would’ve happened shortly after. It was a year ago at this point but it was quite an experience.
CamayroZ (09-01-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 11:03 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,170 Likes on 611 Posts

At first I used the factory, foam rotor protectors, but then I switched to Reverse Logic's 200-mm, extended lug guides but, sadly, they are currently not available. I have found those lug guides much easier to use than the lengths of split pool noodles GM gives you with a car having CCM brakes.
CamayroZ (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 11:04 AM
Lights ZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
At first I used the factory, foam rotor protectors, but then I switched to Reverse Logic's 200-mm, extended lug guides but, sadly, they are currently not available. I have found those lug guides much easier to use than the lengths of split pool noodles GM gives you with a car having CCM brakes.
Yup, I ordered the updated gray noodle GM kit. Same ACDelco part number they’re just gray instead of blue now.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:55 PM
DEANDOLLA
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Hib, i talked with FRED, he owned reverse logic and a great guy but he sold out, just search on ebay and you will find them or here is the link he gave me, i ordered them and had them in a few days and a must https://www.ebay.com/itm/16539498920...3ABFBMqtr1q7dg
CamayroZ (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 03:37 PM
DEANDOLLA
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

i might over reacted after using the guides i dont think the noodles is a must but i used them once anyway
Old 09-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,170 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by DEANDOLLA
Hib, i talked with FRED, he owned reverse logic and a great guy but he sold out, just search on ebay and you will find them or here is the link he gave me, i ordered them and had them in a few days and a must https://www.ebay.com/itm/16539498920...3ABFBMqtr1q7dg
Since I posted #6, I also communicated with Fred and learned he's retiring and that the M12x1.5F-200-mm guides are available from an eBay seller at the URL above. That tool is now marketed by JS Products under its "Steelman Tool" brand.
My bad on this.
When I posted earlier, I didn't know Fred was closing his company.

Since I have two Corvettes with carbon brakes I have two sets of the Reverse Logic/Steelman Tool 200-mm lug guides. They are one of my key C6/C7 tire and wheel tools.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:56 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

The location of that would not bother me in the slightest.......well ok I might monitor it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it......you could also blend and radius it delicately and manually with some sandpaper, and that would probably insure it would never grow, and relieve any stress points.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:04 PM
Lights ZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
The location of that would not bother me in the slightest.......well ok I might monitor it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it......you could also blend and radius it delicately and manually with some sandpaper, and that would probably insure it would never grow, and relieve any stress points.
I thought about that, best to just leave it as I have no vibrations.

Get notified of new replies

To Minor rotor chip, should I be concerned?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Minor rotor chip, should I be concerned?