Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Opinions on LS7 replacement engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 11:59 AM
Blomman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your replies and support!

My plan is to go with an LS7. Not due to resale value (I see sports cars as toys and not investments), but rather my affection for this engine. All in all, I think it’s a great engine.

If GM doesn’t sell the LS7 anymore, I have no problem taking my business elsewhere.

@Tony @ Mamo Motorsports : You have mail!
The following users liked this post:
hiznhrz (05-17-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 12:25 PM
KennyPowers
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

My .02 is the DART LS NEXT 427 is just a better block, since we are talking engine, top and bottom ends. Dart utilized priority main oiling which the GM block doesn't. RHS also makes 427 blocks, not very familiar but I did see an 08 Z with the replacement RHS block sell for about a $10K premium. When you move up to a better block real buyers know the difference.

You wont by using the GM crank or rods, since the crank really doesn't work well without the rods.. supposedly is a fast rotating assembly but if you start digging around you'll see from many posts re oil analysis that the setup doesn't really like additional power, aka heads/cam.. TI levels rise due to crank flexing(my .02) then you are back to where you started

So if you want mo powa than stock go aftermarket block/crank/rods (bottom end)..

When my 09 lost its LS7 the PO just went to the chevy dealer and dropped $20k on a replacement (he must have been content with the factory power levels).. my $20K would be starting at the BOTTOM and working up.. GL
Old 05-23-2024, 11:34 AM
Blomman
Intermediate

Thanks KennyPowers for your input!

Update: It would of course have been nice to go with a fully built engine, but I eventually managed to find a new OEM LS7. If I had passed on this deal I most likely never would have gotten another opportunity to buy one. Apparently, it's cheaper to fly an LS7 from the US to Sweden than it is for a person to fly the same route. I assume it's because the LS7 doesn't require peanuts and other personal services :-)

So I'll be going with an OEM LS7 and of course a good set of aftermarket heads, perhaps along with some mild performance upgrades. I think I'll be able to put together a decent package for a street car that will suit my needs, with focus on reliability and drivability.

Can't wait to get back on the road!
Old 05-23-2024, 02:27 PM
KennyPowers
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Been noticing comments on replacing the oe harmonic balancer with something aftermarket, ATI etc, might be a good time while everything is out.. (the underdrive ATI have been known to throw belts but the stock replacement are ok supposedly)

Ill probably make this mod on my fully stock before i get serious about lots of track time..

GL and great news about the new LS7!
Old 05-23-2024, 03:24 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I have more opinions than brains but I have enough brains to impromptu rationalize anything. In other words I win both sides of every argument with myself or lose every argument with myself. Just depends on perspective...

I'm going to say the problem is you have an original and amazing naturally aspirated 500 Hp 427 today. I don't know about you but driving a 500Hp 427 were the first and most significant attraction for buying a C6 Z06 rather than other interesting choices and/or opportunities.

Anything you build that has a minimum of ~425 rwhp and is a naturally aspirated 427 and I for one would be pleased. The only other proviso, for me, would be when you pop the hood, I would want it to look like or similar to an OEM engine. If it isn't a 427 any longer, perhaps it doesn't need the Tupperware engine covers that say LS7. I'm wouldn't be interested in inviting a conversation about what engine I built. It's an amazing car for the money to drive and has nothing short of a timeless look. If someone wants to strike up a conversation about the car, I'm all in. The source of my personal enjoyment is the car and its 427 cubic inch engine. The fact that it might output well more than the OE developed 500Hp is no longer relevant to me. The car has always demonstrated it was capable of more.

Last edited by hiznhrz; 05-23-2024 at 09:54 PM.
tommyc6z06 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 08:40 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 917 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Been noticing comments on replacing the oe harmonic balancer with something aftermarket, ATI etc, might be a good time while everything is out.. (the underdrive ATI have been known to throw belts but the stock replacement are ok supposedly)

Ill probably make this mod on my fully stock before i get serious about lots of track time..

GL and great news about the new LS7!
When your ready look into the custom 10% U/D unit I designed working with ATI.....basically I increased the height of the belt guide by 250% (essentially copying OEM) and that eliminated the belt tossing issues

Good thread below with pictures that do most of the talking really

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ac-belts.html

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 05-23-2024, 10:41 PM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by blomman
thanks kennypowers for your input!

Update: It would of course have been nice to go with a fully built engine, but i eventually managed to find a new oem ls7. If i had passed on this deal i most likely never would have gotten another opportunity to buy one. Apparently, it's cheaper to fly an ls7 from the us to sweden than it is for a person to fly the same route. I assume it's because the ls7 doesn't require peanuts and other personal services :-)

so i'll be going with an oem ls7 and of course a good set of aftermarket heads, perhaps along with some mild performance upgrades. I think i'll be able to put together a decent package for a street car that will suit my needs, with focus on reliability and drivability.

Can't wait to get back on the road!

congratulations 🎈🎊🎉
Old 05-26-2024, 02:33 PM
Blomman
Intermediate

@KennyPowers : Yeah, I will definitely be swapping to an ATI balancer while the new engine is still out of the car. Perhaps an upgraded clutch also makes sense while everything is apart. Decisions decisions, the rabbit hole is deep...

@hiznhrz : I agree completely! It's an amazing driver's car with enormous potential that can still stand its ground against new sports cars! And it's also great fun in comparison to new sports cars that more or less drive themselves. So it’s a car worth investing in, which is at least somewhat comforting in my situation :-)

@Dj_or_dj : Thanks! The engine is now in Europe on its way to me. Now I just need to buy some miscellaneous items before I can go ahead with the install. Not bad considering the mishap happened only three weeks ago!
hiznhrz (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 04:35 PM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Blomman
@KennyPowers : Yeah, I will definitely be swapping to an ATI balancer while the new engine is still out of the car. Perhaps an upgraded clutch also makes sense while everything is apart. Decisions decisions, the rabbit hole is deep...

@hiznhrz : I agree completely! It's an amazing driver's car with enormous potential that can still stand its ground against new sports cars! And it's also great fun in comparison to new sports cars that more or less drive themselves. So it’s a car worth investing in, which is at least somewhat comforting in my situation :-)

@Dj_or_dj : Thanks! The engine is now in Europe on its way to me. Now I just need to buy some miscellaneous items before I can go ahead with the install. Not bad considering the mishap happened only three weeks ago!
you’re most welcome bud. Trust me when I say I understand.

This is a VERY accurate description between the rabbit hole and modifying an LS7.

get all new gaskets you will be happy you did.

look through my thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-z0hhhh6.html

I know I have listed everything needed parts included

Quick Reply: Opinions on LS7 replacement engine