Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: What should i add to my build.
Dont add
50.00%
Add from now
50.00%
Add later when you blow something
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

[Z06] Bulletproof build

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 06:57 PM
Moesam427
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulletproof build

Hey there guys,
found a lot of info about the obvious mods, but struggled a bit to find what ill need vs what i wont for my build, so excuse the questions if they are previously asked.

i have a 2013 Z06 and the first owner of the car apparently blew the motor and rebuilt it so its still a 427 but with aftermarket crank, pistons, and rods and i have no idea what brand are they.
had a cam, reinstalled the stock cam and it has the basic bolt-ons plus a katech oil pump and bigger fuel injectors and some aftermarket bushings (hoping they are the derlin bushings) and thats pretty much it.

i got the LG carbon fiber driveshaft and their GT2 coilover kit on the way, also some forged apex wheels on the way and planning on going AP racing brakes front and backs by the end of year, the goal is a car thats comfortable to drive and fun but also capable of some hill climb + time attack events competitively.

the questions here is what else do i need to build a bulletproof LS7 that i can use and not worry about a thing, here is a list of what i gathered over the past period researching:MGW short shifter

CHE LS7 trunnion kit

DEI transmission tunnel heat shielD

Avi Aid dry sump tank insert

Improved racing Crank Scraper & Windage Tray Kit

ATI super damper

Ferrea exhaust valves

Ferrea intake valves

improved racing oil barbell

CP ls7 timing cover

CP ls7 rear cover
SKF bearing with ARP studs

Recaro pole positions

any other advice or suggestions ? Rockers ? Lifters ? Lifters trays ? Heads ?
anything but the cam, im pretty happy with the OEM cam and im looking to keep the drivability as friendly as possible, i am even adding some sound deadening material to enjoy the ride a bit more, wont mind an 8lb gain on the car.

thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2024, 11:11 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 123 Posts

Just a comment, there is no such thing as a 'bulletproof build'. You can upgrade things to make the engine more reliable, but there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it bulletproof, except not to drive it.
The following 3 users liked this post by dmuellenberg:
Landru (05-18-2024), Moesam427 (05-18-2024), Undy (05-20-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:34 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 166 Posts

Rework the heads for sure. Also confirm what kind of rods you have. If they are OEM you might want to swap them out while you are in there. Like the above poster said, nothing is bulletproof but that’s a start.
The following users liked this post:
Moesam427 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 02:30 PM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Moesam427
Hey there guys,
found a lot of info about the obvious mods, but struggled a bit to find what ill need vs what i wont for my build, so excuse the questions if they are previously asked.

i have a 2013 Z06 and the first owner of the car apparently blew the motor and rebuilt it so its still a 427 but with aftermarket crank, pistons, and rods and i have no idea what brand are they.
had a cam, reinstalled the stock cam and it has the basic bolt-ons plus a katech oil pump and bigger fuel injectors and some aftermarket bushings (hoping they are the derlin bushings) and thats pretty much it.

i got the LG carbon fiber driveshaft and their GT2 coilover kit on the way, also some forged apex wheels on the way and planning on going AP racing brakes front and backs by the end of year, the goal is a car thats comfortable to drive and fun but also capable of some hill climb + time attack events competitively.

the questions here is what else do i need to build a bulletproof LS7 that i can use and not worry about a thing, here is a list of what i gathered over the past period researching:MGW short shifter

CHE LS7 trunnion kit

DEI transmission tunnel heat shielD

Avi Aid dry sump tank insert

Improved racing Crank Scraper & Windage Tray Kit

ATI super damper

Ferrea exhaust valves

Ferrea intake valves

improved racing oil barbell

CP ls7 timing cover

CP ls7 rear cover
SKF bearing with ARP studs

Recaro pole positions

any other advice or suggestions ? Rockers ? Lifters ? Lifters trays ? Heads ?
anything but the cam, im pretty happy with the OEM cam and im looking to keep the drivability as friendly as possible, i am even adding some sound deadening material to enjoy the ride a bit more, wont mind an 8lb gain on the car.

thanks in advance
if you want a bulletproof trouble free engine get rid of the stock heads and valve train.

a head fix fixes nothing bud
The following users liked this post:
Moesam427 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 11:58 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_or_dj
if you want a bulletproof trouble free engine get rid of the stock heads and valve train.

That still doesn't guarantee a bulletproof trouble free engine.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:20 PM
Burntoutaccountant
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Mamo heads. Link bar lifters.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Moesam427
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Burntoutaccountant
Mamo heads. Link bar lifters.
this is my best attempt on a reply lol.

thanks for this! Read a whole thread about them and AHP heads was mentioned there but not going to lie once you option them out they are close to 5K and thats above my budget, wouldnt mind saving up and delaying the purchase if its worth it but mamo's seems solid.
any suggestions on the link bar lifters ? Given that im gonna keep on running the stock cam ? Saw Johnson come up quite a bit.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:33 PM
Moesam427
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dj_or_dj

Yeah this seems like it needs to be top priority
Old 05-19-2024, 11:35 PM
Moesam427
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Just a comment, there is no such thing as a 'bulletproof build'. You can upgrade things to make the engine more reliable, but there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it bulletproof, except not to drive it.
bulletproof in the sense of minimizing damage not in the literal sense i guess, but yeah your reply is on point gotta say lol. Just trying to get as close as possible to a perfect ratio between enjoying the car and having it available for performance if that makes sense
Old 05-19-2024, 11:37 PM
Moesam427
6th Gear

Originally Posted by racerx3317
Rework the heads for sure. Also confirm what kind of rods you have. If they are OEM you might want to swap them out while you are in there. Like the above poster said, nothing is bulletproof but that’s a start.
i am sure they arent OEM but unfortunately wont find out what they are specifically anytime soon.

i honestly read a couple of threads about the OEM rods being superior given the weight save and if recoated then they are good to go, any opinion on that ?
Old 05-19-2024, 11:38 PM
Burntoutaccountant
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Moesam427
this is my best attempt on a reply lol.

thanks for this! Read a whole thread about them and AHP heads was mentioned there but not going to lie once you option them out they are close to 5K and thats above my budget, wouldnt mind saving up and delaying the purchase if its worth it but mamo's seems solid.
any suggestions on the link bar lifters ? Given that im gonna keep on running the stock cam ? Saw Johnson come up quite a bit.
Johnson 2116. I think that’s what they are. What I’m running on mine if I got the number right. Call Texas speed. They’re very expensive though.

mamos heads are also like $5000 just so you know.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:43 PM
Moesam427
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Burntoutaccountant
Johnson 2116. I think that’s what they are. What I’m running on mine if I got the number right. Call Texas speed. They’re very expensive though.

mamos heads are also like $5000 just so you know.
ill check with Texas, thanks a lot for the recommendations and directions man, much appreciated.

would you still go with mamo if they are priced nearly the same ? Does Katech have a role in this conversation ? I cant seem to role them out of anything honestly they make top shelf stuff.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:51 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
That still doesn't guarantee a bulletproof trouble free engine.

Well then there you go …

Get notified of new replies

To Bulletproof build

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bulletproof build