Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Same body style as the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:53 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Same body style as the C6?

I have read here and Dave Hill's statements in RT about the Z06--"it ...distinctive in appearance from todays car" ---is that a hint that the body style will be distinctive from the C6 ? A whole new look prehaps?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Re: Same body style as the C6? (ghostRder)

Check out the styling sketch on page 59 of the Feb R & T. That's one way to keep the family resemblence and still make it different. :cool:
Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It could mean nothing more than "C6 Z06 will look different from C5 Z06," which on the surface is eye-rolling obvious, but can also be taken to mean that C6 Z06 won't have a ballcap roof, black brake ducts, or a mesh grille insert.

I don't think that's all it means, but Dave Hill has a way with words, especially with making them seem more significant than they are. How many people were fooled by Dave Hill's comments about the 2003 Anniversary Edition into thinking it would be something huge like a more powerful engine or a different body? All along he was talking about migrating Cadillac's magnetic shocks to Corvette, which is a significant advancement technologically but nonetheless a punch-pulling disappointment to many.

I think it means Z06 gets a distinct profile and some unique body panels, with probably a hood, roof, deck, and diffuser of carbon fiber, unique wider wheels and unique exhaust. I bet it keeps all the same body hardware, stuff that's more expensive to change like doors and mirrors and lights. The fascias might also be the same.

The big question from me is whether Z06 will get unique fenders (and perhaps unique gills). I think it's too much to ask that the fenders be carbon fiber, both for fabrication and collision-repair cost reasons (the thing will be expensive enough to insure with 500hp, it doesn't need big-buck replacement panels too), and I don't think they want to make the car wider, at least not up front where it hurts. But who knows? Z06 isn't a top-speed car, and C6R may remain coupe-based.

.Jinx
Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM
veXati0n
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Same body style as the C6? (I Bin Therbefor)

Check out the styling sketch on page 59 of the Feb R & T. That's one way to keep the family resemblence and still make it different. :cool:
pics?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Same body style as the C6? (veXati0n)

I'm betting that the visual differences will remain modest in an effort to keep the car with a price in the $60K area. That also means minimal use of carbon fiber (hood). The new Al frame, additional power, and other weight saving measures will boost the price enough without dramatic changes in the body style beyond what is needed for the frame and perhaps tires.

There will be the usual use of screens, badges, etc. but I don't consider those as significant changes in the body style.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Same body style as the C6? (Zivnuska)

I'm betting that the visual differences will remain modest in an effort to keep the car with a price in the $60K area. That also means minimal use of carbon fiber (hood). The new Al frame, additional power, and other weight saving measures will boost the price enough without dramatic changes in the body style beyond what is needed for the frame and perhaps tires.

There will be the usual use of screens, badges, etc. but I don't consider those as significant changes in the body style.
:cool: :cool:
Old 01-26-2004, 09:24 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be trick if it had C6R bodywork, even if its not in carbon to keep the price down, but to get the agressive look of the R, and the aero benefits.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:34 AM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Default Re: Same body style as the C6? (TLGunman)

Thanks gentlemen for all your responses, I just we'll have to wait and see, but if there are spy photos--I wonder if they will be hidden? :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Same body style as the C6?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Same body style as the C6?