Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Could you afford a $60K+ Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 PM
vegas4x4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Given the fact that most cars are going to run to 200k miles if they are well taken care of now days makes me wonder why anybody is buying a new car.

The biggest problem with being young and buying anything like a corvette (I am 23 myself) is that it is so easy to buy one even if you can't afford it. They'll damn near finance anybody if you have at least some credit and are willing to take a six year loan out.

I hope to have a C5 vette soon enough, I just have to get over the fact I'm spending 30k that will be 10k in 5 years.

On a side note, I'm curious what everyones opinions are on the amount of money one should be bringing down before considering buying a 60k car? Of course it varys considerably based upon where you're at and living expenses, but IMO unless your bringing down six figures with no kids (and not living in CA), you don't make enough to be driving a 60k car.

-Jeff

Originally Posted by ilovecorvettec5's
Do what I (an 18 year old man) will do, buy a good babied used one when iam out working after university :p:.....Its going to be hard waiting so long though lol. Its hard for an 18 year old to enjoy the corvette hobby when he cant afford one at his age . Oh well, any suggestions on how I could enjoy the hobby at my age.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vegas4x4
I hope to have a C5 vette soon enough, I just have to get over the fact I'm spending 30k that will be 10k in 5 years.
That is one way to look at it, I doubt that the resale value will drop that fast. But you can always justify it by the amount of fun you have in the car. Or you can just keep it when you buy your next vette.

Originally Posted by vegas4x4
On a side note, I'm curious what everyones opinions are on the amount of money one should be bringing down before considering buying a 60k car? Of course it varys considerably based upon where you're at and living expenses, but IMO unless your bringing down six figures with no kids (and not living in CA), you don't make enough to be driving a 60k car.

-Jeff
It is what you find as being reasonable. The way I am looking at it is that i will save up as much money as possible and put 5-10k down on my Z, and keep the rest in a mutual fund or some other investment that will earn me a higher interest rate then what the loan is for. All you have to do is think about your options at your disposal.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:22 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

All I know, before I take a beating on my '04 Z in a trade in, the new one will really have to be outstanding!

Before I buy one, it will need the following:

1. minimum 500hp (no 3 valve engine design)
2. meaner looking than the C5 Z06
3. 335 or bigger tires on rear
4. weigh in about 3k

Its funny, I never thought I would consider paying 50 or 60K for any car, but after driving the Z, I didn't even think about the price.

I'll probably have to sell a few of my toys to raise the cash.

We'll see.

augydog
Old 09-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Chief Pontiac
Racer

Originally Posted by augydog
All I know, before I take a beating on my '04 Z in a trade in, the new one will really have to be outstanding!

Before I buy one, it will need the following:

1. minimum 500hp (no 3 valve engine design)
2. meaner looking than the C5 Z06
3. 335 or bigger tires on rear
4. weigh in about 3k

Its funny, I never thought I would consider paying 50 or 60K for any car, but after driving the Z, I didn't even think about the price.

I'll probably have to sell a few of my toys to raise the cash.

We'll see.

augydog
But you will have the best and fastest toy on the block.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 AM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

I know that there are going to be a lot of sacrifices in my life but I believe that it will all be worth while. I just want to fast forward to January already.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:08 AM
Chief Pontiac
Racer

Originally Posted by Outsider
I know that there are going to be a lot of sacrifices in my life but I believe that it will all be worth while. I just want to fast forward to January already.
I think their are a few more that feel the same way as you.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Ferrari430GTC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeo
as a 18 year old who is about to enter college as a freshman, a corvette of my own (my dads is lots of fun) is a very long term goal unless one of you out there wishes to donate to a young man with a need for speed that cant be satisfied with any Japaneese 4 banger. -Jeo
I am the same way! I will not drive anything anything less than a V-8... Unless it is a Porsche! I just sold my C4 and am about to buy a C5.

I think $65K would be a good price. Considering a Ferrari is $225K.

Last edited by Ferrari430GTC; 10-24-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I spent more than that modding my car..........the Corvette should be this way from the factory.....I'm waiting to see it. Hopefully I can sell my car (if anyone wants more power than the C6 Z06 )
Old 10-24-2004, 04:31 PM
98Pacecar
Pro

I'm kinda suprised by all the folks who think that 60K is a lot of money for a 500 HP Z06. Think back to the folks who paid 75K for a ZR-1 fifteen years ago....and GM sold all of the ZR-1's they made. I'm willing to bet that the new Z06 will be over 70K and GM will sell every one of them.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:45 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Steele
You endowment guys are killing me here! I won't even make small donations to my alma mater because of a financial dispute when I attended!

I graduated from David Lipscomb University in Nashville TN. It is a Christian sponsored school.

While I was there as a poor starving student I worked various odd jobs at the minimum wage of $3.35/hr and saved up like crazy for my first stereo system. Literally a few weeks after making the purchase, the dorm roof leaked badly during a rainstorm. The water ruined the speakers. I filed a claim with the school, but I had purchased the speakers on sale (something like $69 each) and they were now available at a $10 (each) higher cost.

They told me that they could only re-imburse me for what the speakers cost, not what they cost to replace.

I arranged a meeting with the dean in charge of the issue and explained my situation. I told him I wasn't trying to rip him off, but I honestly couldn't replace the speakers at that price. He told me "tough nuts" - in so many words.

I said, "Well, you've got me over a barrell, I have no choice but to take what you give me. But I cannot believe $20 can matter to an institution as large as this college, but it matters a lot to me right now."

I then told him the only way I could see to make things right was to take away from any future contributions I might have made to the school, and I swore to him that I would never donate a penny to the school after I graduated. And I haven't!

The best part was not too long ago (keeping in mind I graduated in 1988) I got a call from the college asking me to donate. I told the nice young lady on the phone my story. I explained that if I donated, I would be going back on my word and I was sure she would understand how I couldn't do that. She agreed that if I were to donate, I would be breaking my promise to Dr. Goodpasture and she promised to make a note of my situation on her records.

I can only IMAGINE the story she told her friends!

So... no endowments with my name on them after I die!
FWIW: Your speakers were used. No different than anything else and I think their offer to you of giving you what you paid was quite generous.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:55 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Pacecar
I'm kinda suprised by all the folks who think that 60K is a lot of money for a 500 HP Z06. Think back to the folks who paid 75K for a ZR-1 fifteen years ago....and GM sold all of the ZR-1's they made. I'm willing to bet that the new Z06 will be over 70K and GM will sell every one of them.
Well put. Also - remember that almost half of the ZR-1s sold were done so in 90 when everyone thought it was to have a distinct rear end with square tail lights and the standard vette would keep round tail lights - made it unique. And many folks dished out 100K for that car, and chucked it into storage - only to find out today that it will barely bring back a quarter of the price. But they paid it back then, when a standard vette was about 32K. Today, a standard vette is about 45K, so an equivalent comparison would be a vette around 90K list - and I still think it would sell - Ford's GT is selling like hotcakes!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:02 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,183 Posts

60 grand plus a few thousand for a 500hp C6 Z06 with dry sump oiling system...19 or 20 inch rims...and a 36K mile/36 month warranty is a killer deal.

Not sure what I'll do but it will definitely be a great way to go!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Jeo
Racer

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Ford's GT is selling like hotcakes!
While it is true ford is selling every single GT they are making many times for much more than MSRP they would never be able to sell as many as they could make. for 2 reasons:limited market not everyone has 150k to spend on a sweet car and secondly it would lose its "limited" appeal.

And please correct me if im wrong but didnt they stop making the ZR-1's because of bad sales? -Jeo
Old 10-25-2004, 03:38 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,841 Likes on 662 Posts

Wow, this thread is half sociological experiment and half Z06 discussion. FWIW, I would pay $60k for the new Z, but definitely not $70-75k. There are limits to my insanity and I have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:09 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeo
And please correct me if im wrong but didnt they stop making the ZR-1's because of bad sales? -Jeo
No - they ceased production because of NO sales!

Seriously - in 93, 94, 95 you could buy a 70K ZR-1 from Tom Henry or the like for 53K - that's right, over 17K in discounts. Also, remember, that this is the same time we lost the Supra, 3000GT, RX-7, 300 ZX etc., etc, etc. Market took a dump, and noone was buying sports cars, by 98, everything did a 180!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:26 PM
C6MagRed
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

no way to know how much I would pay because we don't know what it will be, yet....no doubt the new Z06 will be a significant improvement over the old just like the base C6 is over the C5....$60K, probably not unreasonable, but would bet that the "elusive blue devil", if there ever is one, will be $70-80K.....hope we have the choice
Old 10-25-2004, 05:57 PM
RacerXq
Advanced

Why not buy a used 2001/02 Z06 and have nationally known tuner build a 427 for you?

2001 - $30,000
427 - $20,000
------
$50,000

You will have a brand new motor and save $20,000 to $30,000!

Get notified of new replies

To Could you afford a $60K+ Z06?

Old 10-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Hot4c6
Instructor

Vert was going to cost 68k that makes the zo6 a better deal anyway!
I'll have the roof modded and into an aircar for summer and still spend less than for a vert!
Old 10-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Red Vamp
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Desirider
I can afford the new C6 Z06 vette, if it is at the 60K price range, but will probably wait and pick one up after a year or two of production.
I don't like paying sticker for a car. Hopefully it will be like the C5 Z06's where you could get a pretty good deal on one after about the second year of production. Pretty tuff to pass up 500 HP.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I could afford it, but only if I sold my C5 'vert... And have you SEEN the resale price of those things? OUCH!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Could you afford a $60K+ Z06?