Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] on the topic of the "super vette" being a mid-engined design branded as "vette"

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:07 AM
boxerperson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on the topic of the "super vette" being a mid-engined design branded as "vette"

i believe it. why? we all know that Cadillac badly wants to produce it's Cien concept. It's a mid engined supercar....

the regular vette already shares a chassis with a caddy vehicle. I'd be willing to bet that GM will push both the "blue devil" and the Cien out, since it makes much better monetary sense to platform share.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:08 AM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: on the topic of the "super vette" being a mid-engined design branded as "vette" (boxerperson)

I agree. I've been saying this from the beginning and the pressure is on GM now more than ever. Why build a Middy super car? .....

1. Bob Lutz is a car guy and he wants it.
2. Cad wants a Cien based middy to halo its line with its V12 and thumb its nose to those high end Mercedes. In case no one here has noticed, GM is serious about making Cad a world class leader again. If the a Middy chassis is available (if Cad gets the go ahead), Hill would be nuts not to do a vette version with the 600+ HP twin turbo small block - lighter and simpler than Cad's V12.
3. As great as the C5r is ( and I am a big fan), the required frontal area of the car places it at an Aero disadvantage to other GTS class competition. Also , please note that the Saleen S7 has now met the Homogulation (sp?) requirements and will re-enter the fray with Ferrari and vette next year. This could be another argument for the middy - an even MORE capable platform than the C5r.
4. GM hates Ford. We all know that there would not have been a '55 vette (or any thereafter) if Ford had not brought the T-bird to the market. With about 95% of the '54 production on dealer lots unsold, GM would not admit defeat by cancelling the vette - thank God. Ford is building the GT and that new V10 Cobra will be right behind it. Chrysler has a Viper that hasn't lost a magazine performance run off yet ... and they are threatening to produce that ME-4-12 thing. GM can't be left out of this market - it will be too embarassing. A Super Vette could kill a lot of competitor's birds with one stone (model).
5. Bob Lutz is a car guy and he wants it.
6. Bob Lutz is a car guy and he wants it.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:44 AM
painrace2
Intermediate

Default Re: on the topic of the "super vette" being a mid-engined design branded as "vette" (boxerperson)

Long Timer, I certainly hope you are right. I really like what I saw in the ME 412. I think GM could do as much with a mid engine Corvette and it could be a better car. I am leaning toward a ME 412 unless GM makes the Blue Devil.

Get notified of new replies

To on the topic of the "super vette" being a mid-engined design branded as "vette"

Quick Reply: [Z06] on the topic of the "super vette" being a mid-engined design branded as "vette"