Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Motor Trend Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by YukonCornelius
I am... slightly, however. It is a concern that the cylinder walls are that thin...
I dont know why they wouldnt have just used the C5-R racing block. Tried and tested.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:46 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kewlbrz
The majority of the world is LHD because its the correct way to drive a car. You could always get a center drive Enzo (or is that McLaren?)
Yes, it's the McLaren that's center drive.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Where are the high performance grounding cables?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 334 Likes on 141 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

I am still pissed it doesn't have a removable top, for only 44lbs there could have been one. Where's the titanium exhaust?? That would make up most of the difference!!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Old 12-29-2004, 07:13 PM
YukonCornelius
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scissors
Now THAT'S Funny!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Hurricane

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by Scissors
Old 12-29-2004, 07:49 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What scares me is with the price being printed, the reaction to Scissors nicely redone highlights of the Z06 may become the reaction to the Z06 itself and end in a familiar to GM way....death.

I guess I am hoping GM puts the aluminum frame on the Z-51 model(weighs 130lb less), making it 130lbs lighter and lighter than the Z06, adds an optional 450 - 460hp 6.3/6.4L and calls it a track model or similar...It is a great car, or appears to be, but 75K will kill it within 4 years(my bet).

Todd
Old 12-29-2004, 08:41 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

RE: "Not different enough from "regular" Corvette". I think this is a plus. I'm selling a 355 to get a car I can drive and park and not worry about. I think it's a plus for the car.

Ken
Old 12-29-2004, 08:43 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
What scares me is with the price being printed, the reaction to Scissors nicely redone highlights of the Z06 may become the reaction to the Z06 itself and end in a familiar to GM way....death.

I guess I am hoping GM puts the aluminum frame on the Z-51 model(weighs 130lb less), making it 130lbs lighter and lighter than the Z06, adds an optional 450 - 460hp 6.3/6.4L and calls it a track model or similar...It is a great car, or appears to be, but 75K will kill it within 4 years(my bet).

Todd
Yeah i think it won't be long before somebody asks Dave Hill if the AL frame is going to make it to the base C6.....

3,179 lbs -136 lbs = 3,043 lbs.....

A C6 Z51 with 3,043 lbs would be fabulous......
Old 12-29-2004, 08:57 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Wow that car awesome..... just look at the list of cars they put it into. I would have liked to see a stripper version of the Z06 for more bragging rights on GM's part but 3100lbs with all the luxury stuff is amazing. They are really did a great job.

Is it me or did GM leave teh front door open again for a 2nd year improvement in the Z06. A little more power, some further weight loss, addition of ceramic brakes?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:08 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeneCamaro
Wow that car awesome..... just look at the list of cars they put it into. I would have liked to see a stripper version of the Z06 for more bragging rights on GM's part but 3100lbs with all the luxury stuff is amazing. They are really did a great job.

Is it me or did GM leave teh front door open again for a 2nd year improvement in the Z06. A little more power, some further weight loss, addition of ceramic brakes?
Yeah Ceramic brakes are coming is just a matter of time......

That would save another 32-35 pounds of unsprung weight......

I am still surprised that they are not using the Ti muffler that would have saved 18-20 pounds........
Old 12-29-2004, 10:21 PM
stingray454
Drifting

I'm a bit perplexed as to why they chose to go with certain exotic components that don't really add much in weight savings or durability, yet are very expensive. For example, the carbon fiber front fenders saved only 2.2 lbs?!? That much carbon fiber must cost at least $2k, probably more when you add the special paint process needed.

And the titanium connecting rods and intake valves? Are these really necessary? There's no talk of how much weight they save in the MT article, and I can't imagine they are needed for strength, given that tuners have been building 427s with considerably more power without using titanium rods. Those parts must cost another $2k as well.

I don't know about you all, but I could certainly do without the carbon fiber fenders (I'll go on a diet to save 2.2 lbs.), and the titanium rods and valves, and be happier with a $5k lower sticker price.

The other thing that concerns me about this car is they mentioned the aluminum frame has the same geometry as the steel frame. I'm very surprised at this, considering how much more flexible aluminum is versus steel. How did they get the same chassis stiffness with aluminum without changing the frame design?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by YukonCornelius
In regards to the Motor Trend article I posted earlier... Here is a link to the mag pics. They're not the best quality, but feel free to grab 'em. I'll have them up for a day or two.

http://www.graciano.com/mt

Enjoy!
OMG THAT THING IS SICK! DAVE HILL YOU ROCK!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:45 PM
pariah
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by stingray454
The other thing that concerns me about this car is they mentioned the aluminum frame has the same geometry as the steel frame. I'm very surprised at this, considering how much more flexible aluminum is versus steel. How did they get the same chassis stiffness with aluminum without changing the frame design?
From the Motor Trend text:
Hydroformed structural side rails are geometrically identical to their steel counterparts.
1. Use heavier gauge aluminum. To a point, thicker aluminum sheet is still lighter than steel.

2. Change the geometry at strategic locations where strength would be a concern.

They could have made a drop-in replacement part that is different in size and shape (compared to the original steel part) except where it needs to be to join with other original parts.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by COAndy
Great info. I just hope and pray it is not $75,000. Does anybody agree with me that a price increase of approx. $23,000 in one model year seem like something GM would actually do, despite the improvements? I still see a price of about $59,000.
Well,

I'm getting more concerned about the price point. I'm a big believer in overwhelming evidence. But I do NOT understand the economics and marketing logic of thinking they are going to sell 5,000-6,500 at that price.

I was really expecting something more along the lines of $62k max.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneCamaro
I think that I could have survived without HEATED SEATS!!! Good grief. At least make some of that crap an option. The reason the car is heavier than it should be isn't battery relocation and bigger wheels, it is because they added luxury crap to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend Pics

Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 PM
ROUTE 66
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
Thanks for the pics and article...

Is anyone worried that the LS7 is on the hairy edge of reliability? I'm no expert so I really don't know - asking an honest question.

Thanks!
If I were to buy one I would be!!! Sooner or later the motor will need a overhaul. When only .05 mm can be removed from the bore, most likely your going to need a new block. Then you are stuck with a vette & the # don't match. There went the value of your $75'000 vette.
Nice pic's Yukoncornelius. Thank You E.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:00 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by stingray454
I'm a bit perplexed as to why they chose to go with certain exotic components that don't really add much in weight savings or durability, yet are very expensive. For example, the carbon fiber front fenders saved only 2.2 lbs?!? That much carbon fiber must cost at least $2k, probably more when you add the special paint process needed.

And the titanium connecting rods and intake valves? Are these really necessary? There's no talk of how much weight they save in the MT article, and I can't imagine they are needed for strength, given that tuners have been building 427s with considerably more power without using titanium rods. Those parts must cost another $2k as well.

I don't know about you all, but I could certainly do without the carbon fiber fenders (I'll go on a diet to save 2.2 lbs.), and the titanium rods and valves, and be happier with a $5k lower sticker price.

If you read closely it saids Carbon Fiber fender LINERS.....LINERS is the key word that means that is not the whole fender.....

The whole CF fender weight saving has go be greater than 2.2 pounds.....

Reducing the weight of the engine internal moving parts is always important although for you guys it may not sound that important......

Weight is the enemy of basically everything in a car including the internal moving parts of an engine......

The reasons why the Vette Team used the hollow Sodium Valves in the C5 Z06 was to dissipate heat better and because of their lighter weight it eliminated unwanted valve float from the more aggressive cam...

C6 Z06 has an aggressive cam an it needs very light valves to avoid any float,Ti and Sodium Filled valves reduced mass makes them the ideal choice....

Ti Rods is probably the primary reason why the Z06 can rev up safely and reliable to 7,000 RPM's and lighter engine parts enable the engine to rev up quicker......

With regard to the AL frame the gauge of it has to be thicker in certain areas to achieve the strenght and rigidity of a comparable steel frame.....

I am pretty sure that this AL frame is stiffer than the base C6 steel frame......

The Vette Team engineers know what they are doing.....

Last edited by ivan111; 12-29-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:18 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Separated at birth ( as are the base C6 Pillsberry Doughboy and Malibu steering wheels - same core ) . Shoulda just left the multifunction buttons on it .

XLR

C6 Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Motor Trend Pics