C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Vortech vs Procharger question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:02 PM
ayousef
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Vortech vs Procharger question

Again, I still cannot understand this simple thing.

scenario 1:

Vortech supercharger LS7 @ 6.5 PSI = 585RWHP

Procharged stock LS7 @ 4.5 PSI = 585 RWHP.

those numbers are not only backed up by what was displayed on Vortech's and Prochargers websites, but we did test them on two different vehicles.

Boost pressure measured at the intake manifold is boost no matter what supercharger you are using, there can only be two differences:

1- cooler intake air temperatures

2- less parasitic loss

however the difference is huge, and I think that if true one should have gone out of business by now.

A sidenote is the Procharged motor seems to fry the water temps for some reason, although its got a thermostat and the fans were programmed to start early, even at high speed cruise where the fan is inactive, the temps dont seem to drop. This might suggest that the procharged vehicle comes with a larger intercooler, able to cool IAT more than the Vortech LS7, but at the cost of higher water temps, MUCH HIGHER.

I cannot comment on parasitic loss, what do you guyz think?

I thought the V2 T-trim was bigger than the P1sc1 head unit, and thus had a bigger parasitic loss figure, at the cost of letting you run higher boost levels, however turns out both are in the same size range.

Whats concerning me is, a guy who just said his car did xxx rwhp on the dyno @ 8psi, had me wondering that I have to run 11PSI to get the same rwhp figure.

NOTE: both vehicles were tuned by different tuners, one more aggressively than the other, but still does not justify the huge variation in power output.

Ideas?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:04 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the ProCharger. The intercooler is hugh, and unless the Big Bolas mod is included with the install, coolant temps will be high, very high. The Big Bola mod moves the bottom of the intercooler away from the ac evaporator, allowing air from below the car to cool the radiator, and air entering the front of the car to cool the intercooler. This simple mods works. For the record, I also installed a Ron Davis 57mm radiator, Meziere electric water pump, oil cooler, and 160 degree stat, all along with the ProCharger. Initially the car was running, what I considered, too hot. Summer cruising temps were around 225 coolant, and 235 oil. Pushing the car into boost would skyrocket both temps into the danger zone after only one hard run. I performed the Big Bolas mod and the temps dropped 40 and 50 degrees respectively. The car now rarely exceeds 200 coolant temps and 210 oil temps, even running hard in extreme summer conditions. In cool winter seasons, the car runs consistantly around 168 coolant and 174 oil temps. Search this forum for tips and pics on the mod. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Is there a link to Big Bolas mod ??
Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 AM
jnel04
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet the difference is in the tune and testing conditions..I'd rather run 8psi on a conservative tune than lesser boost on a much more aggressive tune...my personal preference is to keep the engine intact than have xx more RWHP. There are lots of stupid tricks to inflate hp numbers, the real test is how they perform in real life.

Just my opinion
Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnel04
I bet the difference is in the tune and testing conditions..I'd rather run 8psi on a conservative tune than lesser boost on a much more aggressive tune...my personal preference is to keep the engine intact than have xx more RWHP. There are lots of stupid tricks to inflate hp numbers, the real test is how they perform in real life.

Just my opinion
im talking about independant testing on the same dyno, same day etc...

I undetstand the difference the tune plays, maybe it is, but im sure both supercharger manufacturers designs differ as well.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I have the ProCharger. The intercooler is hugh, and unless the Big Bolas mod is included with the install, coolant temps will be high, very high. The Big Bola mod moves the bottom of the intercooler away from the ac evaporator, allowing air from below the car to cool the radiator, and air entering the front of the car to cool the intercooler. This simple mods works. For the record, I also installed a Ron Davis 57mm radiator, Meziere electric water pump, oil cooler, and 160 degree stat, all along with the ProCharger. Initially the car was running, what I considered, too hot. Summer cruising temps were around 225 coolant, and 235 oil. Pushing the car into boost would skyrocket both temps into the danger zone after only one hard run. I performed the Big Bolas mod and the temps dropped 40 and 50 degrees respectively. The car now rarely exceeds 200 coolant temps and 210 oil temps, even running hard in extreme summer conditions. In cool winter seasons, the car runs consistantly around 168 coolant and 174 oil temps. Search this forum for tips and pics on the mod. Good luck.
A friend of mine that has a procharger and tried to do the big bollas mod, found out that Procharger has already incorporated that design into their systems, without saying a word about it. Car still runs hot, and this is in winter, its gonna burn in summer.

ex:

my car in winter: 92 celcius
in summer: up to 103 CRUISING in 48 degree celcius weather

his car in winter: 98 celcius cruise, 103-105 after a "little" WOT
in summer? Well have to find out, but that things gonna explode

Hats off to the Vortech for this acheivement, I am also dropping in a DeWitss radiator, and ill fiddle around with the coolant mix, say 1/2 distilled water/ and 1/2 coolant with two bottles of redline water wetter or something.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Vortech vs Procharger question

Quick Reply: Another Vortech vs Procharger question