C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA cam + Blower - Will this combo work

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:09 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NA cam + Blower - Will this combo work

Well, Since I dont want to go through the process of buying and re-installing a blower cam on my car, at least for the time being.

So, im wondering if say an LG X3 cam or a QM600 would work with a Centrifugal SC. I understand its not the best option, but will the combo make more power than using the stock cam?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn
Well, Since I dont want to go through the process of buying and re-installing a blower cam on my car, at least for the time being.

So, im wondering if say an LG X3 cam or a QM600 would work with a Centrifugal SC. I understand its not the best option, but will the combo make more power than using the stock cam?
Wrong grinds I believe. I also believe the stock cam works great.
For the best deal I've seen buy an A&A kit during Andys 4 hour sale monday, You'll be glad you did.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:14 PM
RICKEY BOBBY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn

I have heard Arun from champion performence said in a thread look it up If it works Na it work Fi it might be perfect but will be better then stockthe QM600 is a ok with a blower ,Also the cost to tear down once the blower is installed is more so if your going to change nows the time
Old 12-25-2008, 08:21 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not sure what the specs are on those particular cams (I believe the X3 is a pretty big stick isn't it?) but if they are high in valve overlap, they're going to be counterproductive on a boost car. Overlap costs you boost by allowing pressurized air to escape out the exhaust valves while the intake valves are still allowing it to enter the combustion chambers.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:19 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever proved the "lot's" of overlap doesn't work?

Well I'd like to "disprove it"

Here's a cam with over 80 degrees of overlap, 238/248 on a 112

Notice this graph only goes up to 5500 rpm-just image the numbers at 6500. Now look at the torque-this a 402 and through a auto on pump gas. This is with a tiny little F1A blower amking 17 psi at 6800 rpm. Look at the torque at 3000, 3500 and 4000 and look up other dyno graphs of centri blowers-compare the torque?

Here is a cam-very similar to a G5X2(232/240)-stock short-12psi-I guess it doesn't make much power either? BTW-this is with LS1 heads and a LS1 intake.

Here's another car, he has an aggressive N/A cam-only 12 inches of vacuum at idle, he was told he won't make anypower with a blower with that cam. This is a A&A kit, stock short 8 psi, no meth. This thing will pick up 50 rwhp and 50 rwtq when he ups the boost!

There must be alot money being made in "blower cam" market-man it's too bad I don't buy into it.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Mein Blower
Racer

I'm running a reverse split 232/228 114 LSA with my P1SC Procharger. Everyone told me not to do it because it's a "turbo cam." I think I'm in good shape with only 7 psi.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It'll work fine (a QM600) but it's not optimal.

You'll still make killer power!!! Enjoy!

Let us know how she turns out!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Arun@ChampionMotors
Has anyone ever proved the "lot's" of overlap doesn't work?

Well I'd like to "disprove it"

Here's a cam with over 80 degrees of overlap, 238/248 on a 112

Notice this graph only goes up to 5500 rpm-just image the numbers at 6500. Now look at the torque-this a 402 and through a auto on pump gas. This is with a tiny little F1A blower amking 17 psi at 6800 rpm. Look at the torque at 3000, 3500 and 4000 and look up other dyno graphs of centri blowers-compare the torque?

Here is a cam-very similar to a G5X2(232/240)-stock short-12psi-I guess it doesn't make much power either? BTW-this is with LS1 heads and a LS1 intake.

Here's another car, he has an aggressive N/A cam-only 12 inches of vacuum at idle, he was told he won't make anypower with a blower with that cam. This is a A&A kit, stock short 8 psi, no meth. This thing will pick up 50 rwhp and 50 rwtq when he ups the boost!

There must be alot money being made in "blower cam" market-man it's too bad I don't buy into it.

I didn't say a big cam with lots of overlap wouldn't make any power...I just said it wasn't the best choice for a blower car. I'm not at all surprised an F1A (most people don't consider that a "tiny little" blower ) huffing 17 pounds makes a train load of power with ANY cam...that's a pretty beastly combination.

The other two cars make good power too, but I would like to see back to back results with the N/A cams vs. purpose-ground FI cams....I think there's power left on the table...

The physics of it seem irrefutable to me. A boost leak somewhere in the intake tract is going to cost you power isn't it? what's a big overlap cam other than a boost leak right in the combustion chamber?

I'm sure you have a bunch more experience with FI than I do, so don't take this to be argumentative...I just like conversations that might teach me something.

Last edited by JSB LS3; 12-26-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 AM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
I didn't say a big cam with lots of overlap wouldn't make any power...I just said it wasn't the best choice for a blower car. I'm not at all surprised an F1A (most people don't consider that a "tiny little" blower ) huffing 17 pounds makes a train load of power with ANY cam...that's a pretty beastly combination.

The other two cars make good power too, but I would like to see back to back results with the N/A cams vs. purpose-ground FI cams....I think there's power left on the table...

The physics of it seem irrefutable to me. A boost leak somewhere in the intake tract is going to cost you power isn't it? what's a big overlap cam other than a boost leak right in the combustion chamber?

I'm sure you have a bunch more experience with FI than I do, so don't take this to be argumentative...I just like conversations that might teach me something.
Theories, etc, would tell you otherwise-overlap is bad. Most of those theories were made up before centri blowers were ever around. When you want to see what works-all you gotta do is look and see what the guys who are crossing the finish line are using.

F1A, is a tiny blower-it's the same size physically as a D1SC-hold it next to a YSi or Novi 2000.

Take the first graph, it's a F1A, it's a 402, it's got AFR heads but it' still breathing through a LS6 intake and stock 75mm TB-compare that graph at each point to some of the "other" big power blower graphs with "blower cams" and see how they compare-don't forget this is through a auto as well.

Last edited by Arun@ChampionMotors; 12-26-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:09 AM
mr slow
Advanced

Hey Arun, have you ever seen a N/A cam with a Whipple or other roots/pd blowers? I know super old thread lol
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Dudeeee
Old 10-15-2015, 02:08 PM
mr slow
Advanced

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Dudeeee
Lol sorry just curious, I know it will work. I was just wondering how well, I saw a article that hotrod mag did and as far as that one test went it looked great.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:19 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

As long as you like the operating characteristics of the cam, go for it. So, you can make 700 hp with a rowdy n/a cam at 10 psi or change to a milder/better mannered boost cam, and make the same power with a little more boost with no other changes. Whatever blows your dress up...your choice.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:15 PM
mr slow
Advanced

Originally Posted by old motorhead
As long as you like the operating characteristics of the cam, go for it. So, you can make 700 hp with a rowdy n/a cam at 10 psi or change to a milder/better mannered boost cam, and make the same power with a little more boost with no other changes. Whatever blows your dress up...your choice.
Got cha, cool thank you. I like the cam I already have. It's not super crazy for a 408 but makes great power and I was just wanting to reuse it. I'm shooting for around 700-750 with a 2.9 Whipple.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The whole big cam thing is a big Mith. I made 837whp 6psi with the LG7XX cam which has 40* overlap BTW same setup with headers made 623 all motor.

Last edited by C6 Curtis; 10-15-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NA cam + Blower - Will this combo work

Quick Reply: NA cam + Blower - Will this combo work