C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Default A&A Supercharger Install

It has been a while since anyone put up a thread documenting a basic A&A supercharger install so I figured we are due.

Background: About a month ago three forum members (AWARE02, Tally Ho and Motorhead-47) were given the opportunity to give something back to a military service member who has been deployed to Baghdad for the past year. New forum member "TheTrooper73" came up on the forum asking about FI and finally settled on an A&A kit. His time line to get the install done was very tight with only a two week window of opportunity while he is home on leave prior to deploying yet again; this time Afghanistan!

The car: A daily driver 2007 A6 LS2 Coupe

How: The install will be done in a home garage with typical hand tools and the aid of a Kwik-Lift for convenience.

The installers: The three of us (all retired military) combined have over a hundred years wrenching experience and three A&A supercharger installs under our belts. Last one completed in July.... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...r-ordered.html.

Stay tuned as we get started...should take about 12 hrs start to finish working at a casual pace. We are going to knock this out over the New Year's weekend working 3-4 hours per session.

Step #1... Wait anxiously for the arrival of the 92lb box from A&A

Step #2... Inventory contents of well packaged box...It's all there! And in spite of FEDEX's best efforts (see large crease in box) everything inside is undamaged.

Stay tuned for updates....

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 01-01-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i tell u what.. the inventory is the most important part!!! hands down.!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I will stay tuned. Look forward to your install thread. I'm a sucker for a good DIY documentary.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I stand corrected....AWARE02 informed me this morning that in addition to the three C6 superchargers that we've done as a team, he has installed four C5 kits over the years making the total supercharger experience level seven installs rather than three.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, and most importantly, I want to say 'well done' for what you are doing for a military member. I have been deployed there myself, so trust me when I say he will always remember what you guys did for him.

Looking forward to your install since I hope to do the same install soon.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These guys are great! Here's a shot of these guys from the last install:

Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Attaboys to you all. I appreciate your service to our country and I know TheTrooper73 appreciates the help. I wish you all the best and hope the intall goes smoothly. Hope all his expectations with the f/i setup are exceeded!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Looking forward to your install
Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Update #1

We were just going to meet at the garage this evening and think through our game plan for this install and one thing led to another and 2.5 hrs later the car is up on the Kwik-Lift and we are well on our way.

As you can see in the next photo the hood is off and although removing it is certainly not required for the A&A install we find leaning over the nose much preferred to leaning over the fenders for a lot of the install steps. This is especially true on a Kwik-Lift which puts the car at a good working height for standing upright. A quick mark on the hinge lines with a Sharpie and the hood R&R is a 15 minute job at most and alignment on re-install is a non-issue.

We also have the nose off (just a lot of push pins and maybe 10 fasteners) and before we turned out the lights the cooling fan came out, the air filter assembly came off, the fuel rail with injectors are now off, the tie rods were disconnected, the steering shaft unbolted and the two large bolts holding the steering assembly to the chassis are out. We are just two 18mm power steering lines away from sliding the steering out so we can get the crank pinned.

We called it a night (about the same time "someone" tipped over the pan of used power steering fluid) but I did want to point out one unique find with this car. It appears that "TheTrooper73" has not been running an entirely stock motor. There are signs under the hood that he has added an unconvential power adder to the tune of 2-3 squirrel power...

We are taking New Year's Eve off and will hit the rest of the tear down beginning on Friday and will keep keep you updated on the install.

I neglected to mention in my first post that "TheTrooper73" must have had access to a fat wideband internet connection while deployed. He happened to mention to me that he wanted to add a few more things to his car so I offered up that if he'd ship them direct to me we'd try and get everything installed before he returns to pick up the car on the 13th. Well I gotta say that it has been a steady parade of UPS and FEDEX trucks at my house over the past couple of weeks with new wheels, powder coated calipers, a new rear spoiler, a box full of DSVettes interior pieces, a set of Racemesh grills, a GM PAL unit is going in, new color matched console and gauge bezel and a full set of LED lights. We are going to be busy!

Happy New Year Everyone...

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 01-01-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Attaboys to you all. I appreciate your service to our country and I know TheTrooper73 appreciates the help. I wish you all the best and hope the intall goes smoothly. Hope all his expectations with the f/i setup are exceeded!
Thanks for the kind words. Sure we are doing it as our gearhead way of giving something back to the troops but truth be told we just like working on Vettes! This owner has slightly different goals than most of us with a simple desire to up the performance of his Vette with the most bang for the buck while still maintaining 100% of his emissions equipment (yes stock manifolds and quiet exhaust) with no loss of driveability. We'll get him there. The car is eventually headed for Germany when he returns from Afghanistan.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,436 Likes on 780 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I, too, thank you for the kind words. As Motorhead-47 said, we like doing this and as veterans ourselves we know how it can be. For us it's a show of gratitude for those serving our great nation.

Taking a break tomorrow then it's time to get cranking. Stay tuned to this thread as it should be both informative and entertaining.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 AM
TurrizT
Racer

Good job guys.... Wish you were my neighbors haha
Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TurrizT
Good job guys.... Wish you were my neighbors haha
Buy you kit, ship it down here, plan a week's vacation to either Destin or Sandestin that spans a 3 day holiday weekend and it could happen if you are willing to get your hands dirty. We meet new "neighbors" all of the time!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 PM
TurrizT
Racer

Awfully nice of you. Gotta love this country!
I got my a&a kit put on by IPS about a month ago and loving it!
I solute what you are doing for one of our troops... You guys need a paypal so we can buy you a beer or lunch every time you do this haha
Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Stand by for day two pictures coming soon. We just finished for the day a couple of hours ago.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

We wrapped up a 6.5 hr session today. The crank was pinned before lunch, the injectors swapped out, the new plugs are in, the Boost-A-pump installed and the oil pan was tapped for the oil return line from the supercharger (V-2 Si-Trim head). After lunch we reinstalled all of the steering assembly, the power steering cooler bypassed, assembled the s/c brackets and loosly installed the intercooler. Here are a few photos of our progress.

Why the steering has to come out to pin the crank

This is the inspection hole in the bellhousing. That coupler is exactly 2 1/4" on one side

One very large combination 2 1/4" "BFW" is perfect for holding the crank on an automatic transmission car

The roll pin that pins the crank to the balancer. I've seen several recent threads where people attempted to shortcut the install by not going thru the motions of pinning the crank...big mistake! You absolutely must pin the crank.

Crank pinned

37lbft of torque is all the new bolt gets.....followed by 140 degrees of rotation

Intercooler is loosly mounted...we'll get everything plumbed up and aligned tomorrow

Head unit is loosly mounted

This car should be running tomorrow!!! Maybe one of us will remember to bring the instructions

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 01-01-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
EOD_Tech Infidel
Racer

its been too long since i posted here but wanted to say; these guys are great!!! their kindness is an amazing testiment to their support of our military members. as retirees they understad the stresses and commitment to duty overseas they put a huge smile on my face everytime i get into my car and exercise my right foot my car has turned out great and continues to perform better than expected. I appreciate everything u guys did for me and i know trooper will be pleased with his car as well. Thanks again and God bless you guys for all you do.

-SSgt Dunham USAF Explosive Ordnance Disposal tech

Get notified of new replies

To A&A Supercharger Install

Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SSGt USAF
its been too long since i posted here but wanted to say; these guys are great!!! their kindness is an amazing testiment to their support of our military members. as retirees they understad the stresses and commitment to duty overseas they put a huge smile on my face everytime i get into my car and exercise my right foot my car has turned out great and continues to perform better than expected. I appreciate everything u guys did for me and i know trooper will be pleased with his car as well. Thanks again and God bless you guys for all you do.

-SSgt Dunham USAF Explosive Ordnance Disposal tech

Thanks Cole. We're glad you're happy.

1000+RWHP
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 PM
EOD_Tech Infidel
Racer

Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Pack Leader
Racer

Just like the picture of the MOAB behind the Vette you guys are installing the Mother Of All Blowers. Good job guys....

Quick Reply: A&A Supercharger Install