C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Question (Supercharged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 PM
outbackfarmer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thermostat Question (Supercharged)

I have a 2006 Z06 with a Vortech supercharger installed by zip performance. According to the invoice they put in a 180 degree thermostat. Right after I purchased the car, I had the oportunity to have Chuck from Corvettes of Westchester (Chuck COW) tune the car. With his reputation I could not pass the oportunity up. So I had him tune it. He suggested I put a 160 degree thermo and tuned it like it had a 160. So I purchased a MR Gasket 160 Thermostat and was going to install it tonight. I was also going to change the dexcool while I was at it. Well the problem is the thermostat housing is going to be hell to get to. The supercharger sets right over and almost against the housing. So this is actually three questions.
Is it really worth the trouble to go from a 180 to a 160?
If it is any pointers on installation?
Is the Mr Gasket brand thermo ok?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by outbackfarmer
I have a 2006 Z06 with a Vortech supercharger installed by zip performance. According to the invoice they put in a 180 degree thermostat. Right after I purchased the car, I had the oportunity to have Chuck from Corvettes of Westchester (Chuck COW) tune the car. With his reputation I could not pass the oportunity up. So I had him tune it. He suggested I put a 160 degree thermo and tuned it like it had a 160. So I purchased a MR Gasket 160 Thermostat and was going to install it tonight. I was also going to change the dexcool while I was at it. Well the problem is the thermostat housing is going to be hell to get to. The supercharger sets right over and almost against the housing. So this is actually three questions.
Is it really worth the trouble to go from a 180 to a 160?
If it is any pointers on installation?
Is the Mr Gasket brand thermo ok?
The stat change was so easy pre blower. I put the stock in the winter then the 160 in the summer. Now the 160 stays in. Glad I had in before
I added the blower. Now it would be hard. just change that blower belt at the same time if you do!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I added the 160 degree thermostat after the Vortech was installed and I think that the head unit had to be removed in order to get to the housing to make the swap. It would have been MUCH easier to do before the supercharger was installed. That said, I wish that I had installed a 170 or 180 degree thermostat instead of the 160. It's only been in there for a couple of months so I haven't driven it yet in hot weather with the 160. It runs a little too cool for my tastes in 40-50 degree weather here in Northern CA. At a 70 mph cruising speed, the coolant temps run between 155-158 which is a little cooler than I would like to see. I'm hoping that when the weather warms up to 80 or so, that the cruising coolant temps will increase to around 180 or so.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would leave the 180 in for now. See what the temps are in the summertime.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
outbackfarmer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies....they are music to my ears.
I was not wanting to go to the trouble of removing the head unit. And it looked to me like that would be the only way to change the thermostat. What should my temps be running with the 180? Ambiant temp around 45 degrees.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I'd prefer the 160.....

Originally Posted by outbackfarmer
Thanks for the replies....they are music to my ears.
I was not wanting to go to the trouble of removing the head unit. And it looked to me like that would be the only way to change the thermostat. What should my temps be running with the 180? Ambiant temp around 45 degrees.
I'd prefer the 160..... But, if it's difficult, take A&A's suggestion and wait and see how things are in the summer.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat Question (Supercharged)

Quick Reply: Thermostat Question (Supercharged)