C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged and supercharged with oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM
glad2hver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged and supercharged with oil loss

Just noticed car was down ~ 1.5 qt. I also see a small bit of metal filings on the dry dipstick. Oil was changed ~ 3,000 miles ago. Motor is only ~ 4,500 old. Car is supercharged.

Also.. pressure drops slightly on aceleration (about 2 psi or so) and goes up 5 - 9 psi on deceleration? Even throttle shows ~ 40psi, on gas = 38psi, off gas goes to ~ 47psi. All recorded at 6th gear and ~ 75mph. Strange..........

With the issues I've had I always fear the worst.

I drive easy but have on ocassion given full throttle, hoping that the oil loss is normal, or that the motor is still breaking in. My fear is that oil is blowing through the rings (low pressure on throttle). As for the added pressure at off throttle...I have no idea......
Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

check your pcv system?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

I'd be worried about the metal on the dipstick. If I were you I'd cut open the oil filter and see what's inside.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Since you're supercharged now, are you still using the stock oil pump?

Don't forged pistons knock around in the bore a little more on cold startups?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How long did you drive the car with the new engine before you changed the oil?

I agree with cutting the filter open. Make sure and be careful, if you use a hacksaw or similar, it will be tough to discern if any metal objects were created by the hacksaw or not.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 PM
glad2hver
Instructor

This was the 3rd oil change.
1st one after 500 miles with petroleum based
Second at ~ 1500 with petrol base
Then third with Mobil 1
Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Oil pressure on idle should be around 30 + PSI and go up progressively with RPM till it tops out at 60 or so PSI.

My guess based on the lower oil PSI readings that you're showing above is that your your main or cam bearings are on there way out.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Oil pressure on idle should be around 30 + PSI and go up progressively with RPM till it tops out at 60 or so PSI.

My guess based on the lower oil PSI readings that you're showing above is that your your main or cam bearings are on there way out.
The normal oil pressures are dependent on the bearing clearances as set up in the new shortblock as well as oil viscosity used as well as the way the pump is set up. I'm not sure you can say on a non stock shortblock that one reading is correct or not.

Cut open the filter, see what it looks like. LOTS of shiny silver bits are bad. LOTS of shiny copper bits are worse. If you see copper, and it's not the thrust bearing, it's main, rod, or cam bearings.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by aweil
The normal oil pressures are dependent on the bearing clearances as set up in the new shortblock as well as oil viscosity used as well as the way the pump is set up. I'm not sure you can say on a non stock shortblock that one reading is correct or not.

Cut open the filter, see what it looks like. LOTS of shiny silver bits are bad. LOTS of shiny copper bits are worse. If you see copper, and it's not the thrust bearing, it's main, rod, or cam bearings.

That's why I put the + sign, or so after the figures. Mostly I wanted to convey that the oil pressure should go up progressively until the relief (bypass) would open up.

And yes if you're seeing copper it's really over. From the OP's generalization and descriptions, it seems that it is at the beginning stages.

I would think if the thrust bearing was going out the OP would be getting some vibration and or other mechanical noise.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
glad2hver
Instructor

Thanks all.
I f this @$#% car has a bad engine rebuild on top of all the other issues (far too numerous to name here) then I'm at my end. I simply cannot deal with more frustration and $$ outlay. The time alone that this car is taking is hardship.
I work and cannot afford days off during the week to drive to a trustworthy mechanic. I need to be at work. That is how I was able to afford this nightmarish luxury to begin with!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by glad2hver
Thanks all.
I f this @$#% car has a bad engine rebuild on top of all the other issues (far too numerous to name here) then I'm at my end. I simply cannot deal with more frustration and $$ outlay. The time alone that this car is taking is hardship.
I work and cannot afford days off during the week to drive to a trustworthy mechanic. I need to be at work. That is how I was able to afford this nightmarish luxury to begin with!

I totally understand your frustration, that is why I'm thinking very hard about do any kind of performance mods to my vette. Been through thos a few times with my brother's cars and once with one of my project cars.

Hope it all works out for ya .
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 AM
c4mako
Advanced

Get a beater for a daily driver. I've got an 05 Trailblazer - something with some tow capacity. Trust me, I've been where you are..........
Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM
glad2hver
Instructor

This car is recreation only. But I did drive to work today...just to monitor those readings. If the motor is shot (bottom bearings) I'm not sure how to go forward. Too much time wasted....way too much $$ spent.
Oh yea.....my PFADT coilovers are in need of fixing.....for the 4th time!
nice.
and I thought my Audi was crap
Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

This car is recreation only. But I did drive to work today...just to monitor those readings. If the motor is shot (bottom bearings) I'm not sure how to go forward. Too much time wasted....way too much $$ spent.
Oh yea.....my PFADT coilovers are in need of fixing.....for the 4th time!
nice.
and I thought my Audi was crap
Can't agree with you more about the Audi My wife loves her A6 but the dang thing is always having one thing or another break on it.

Not sure what is wrong with your coil-overs but Pfadt stands behind their products so give them a call and hopefully that will take care of that problem.

Can't help ya much with the engine as it's tough to figure out these problems from so far away. Who built your motor ? Have you tried to contact them about your problems ?

Don't know if you spin your own wrenches, but if you don't now may be a good time to begin. The coil overs are easy to remove and service.

The engine is a little more work, but find yourself a buddy to come over and give you a hand. Just do it slowly and take your time. It's not like you need the car since this is your fun car.

Take you time and fix everything right and be done with it.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Sorry to hear you have more problems Peter!

Boy the modding game has not been friendly to you to say the least. If there's anything we can do to help you out just let us know.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

If you are running a line from the valve cover to the air intake, I would pull the air bridge and check for oil. Boosted engines will push a lot more oil that you may expect. If it was less than 10psi and you had very high oil tems, I would look at bearings, but 30-47psi sounds normal to me. If you are pushing oil, add a catch can with a quick drain.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
glad2hver
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Can't agree with you more about the Audi My wife loves her A6 but the dang thing is always having one thing or another break on it.

Not sure what is wrong with your coil-overs but Pfadt stands behind their products so give them a call and hopefully that will take care of that problem.

Can't help ya much with the engine as it's tough to figure out these problems from so far away. Who built your motor ? Have you tried to contact them about your problems ?

Don't know if you spin your own wrenches, but if you don't now may be a good time to begin. The coil overs are easy to remove and service.

The engine is a little more work, but find yourself a buddy to come over and give you a hand. Just do it slowly and take your time. It's not like you need the car since this is your fun car.

Take you time and fix everything right and be done with it.

Thanks. I used to turn wrenches. Actually a lot of suspension & motor work on an old sports car. I'm not too bad...and have zero tolerance to things out of whack. I agree.... I need to get this new garage suited up with some equipment

Get notified of new replies

To Forged and supercharged with oil loss

Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
glad2hver
Instructor

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Sorry to hear you have more problems Peter!

Boy the modding game has not been friendly to you to say the least. If there's anything we can do to help you out just let us know.
Thanks Doug.
Actually, I am working with Chris to get car to ECS later this week for oil drain and filter examination.
Thanks for your help on all my issues
But I cannot express enough how disappointed I am with this experience
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks Doug.
Actually, I am working with Chris to get car to ECS later this week for oil drain and filter examination.
I'm in the same boat. Just found out my #7 cylinder is down on compression. This is after having a new fuel pump installed. I've put about 300 total miles on this car. I have a call in with Cris also. Sorry for your bad luck and lets hope it turns around for both of us.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Thanks Doug.

Yeah I can see where it would be disappointing, but at least now the engine has been replaced already, if there is an issue, I would have to assume that it would be covered under a warranty? Hopefully it is nothing.

Originally Posted by d.medic
I'm in the same boat. Just found out my #7 cylinder is down on compression. This is after having a new fuel pump installed. I've put about 300 total miles on this car. I have a call in with Cris also. Sorry for your bad luck and lets hope it turns around for both of us.

I'm sure we can get you sorted out, sorry to hear about your troubles as well.

Quick Reply: Forged and supercharged with oil loss