C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APS-Twin Turbo sucked water---bang goes my motor.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:25 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Default APS-Twin Turbo sucked water---bang goes my motor.

On a recent trip to WV with our Vette club, we ran through a real hard thunderstorm and some standing water. My Silver 06/A6/Z51 started to miss then a loud "pop" and large cloud of white vapor blew out of the tail pipes. If you know anything about where the air filter's are placed there are no openings at all for water to get to them. The only thing the Vette mechanic and I can figure is when I went through the standing water it forced its way in beside the ducts where they go through the inner fender. Will probably never know for sure. But any who have the APS system beware of hard rain and especially standing water.

Pryor to this I have had almost no issues with this system and was very happy with it. The car has 46,000 miles, 32,000 with the turbos.

Anyway I am putting the car back stock and selling it. I have purchased a 09 Z06 since I like to go to VIR a couple of times a year and the NA car is better for tracking.

I am having the turbos checked by Garrett and will be posting the complete system on the parts forum. So if anyone is interested please email me (kenw76@starband.net) I also have a Dewitts radiator/cooler, Basani exhaust and a transparent top that I will be selling.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks to hear man.. But if it makes you feel any better, I'll take the dewitts!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:41 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you know the extent of the damage. Hard to imagine how water got in those air filters unless it was really deep.

BJK
Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The motor would start and run but had a upper end knock. Checked the lifters, none were bent. I did not want to pull the heads since insurance covered most of the repair. Ordered a new long block from GM so the car has a new motor with 2 year warranty.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
socalzo6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pm sent
Old 08-07-2010, 07:00 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
The motor would start and run but had a upper end knock. Checked the lifters, none were bent. I did not want to pull the heads since insurance covered most of the repair. Ordered a new long block from GM so the car has a new motor with 2 year warranty.
Wow, that's pretty good to get a boosted engine repaired by insurance, most will walk away.

BJK
Old 08-07-2010, 07:59 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Any who want to reach me please email, my pm box shows full even though I have deleted all in it.

And yes I was surprised the insurance covered it given the "non-stock" air filter. But I have a really good insurance company (Selective) that I have been with 25+ years. They considered it a "road hazzard" incident and I did not argue.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:50 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kenw
Any who want to reach me please email, my pm box shows full even though I have deleted all in it.

And yes I was surprised the insurance covered it given the "non-stock" air filter. But I have a really good insurance company (Selective) that I have been with 25+ years. They considered it a "road hazzard" incident and I did not argue.
How deep was the water? It is possible the water came in through the exhaust.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry to here that.... But it sure seem to turn out well.

As for water coming through the exhaust, that is very unlikely. There is a lot of piping the waterhas to go through, not to metion the fact that the car was billowing smoke so the water was ingested and burned in the cylinders. It would have to go through the turbo(s) up the manifolds and then into the combustion chamber.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
rol23and1
Instructor

email sent!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by obzidian
Sorry to here that.... But it sure seem to turn out well.

As for water coming through the exhaust, that is very unlikely. There is a lot of piping the waterhas to go through, not to metion the fact that the car was billowing smoke so the water was ingested and burned in the cylinders. It would have to go through the turbo(s) up the manifolds and then into the combustion chamber.
The water was only a couple of inches deep on a bridge, a strip about 30 feet long. The water definatly got in through the air filters. When they took the filters off they poured water out of them.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

FWIW, I have the APS kit on my C5 car. I run screens only directly on the turbos and I have been through several down pours with standing water with no ill-effects. I know its stupid to do so, but I had no choice. I just drove careful and all was well. My whole body was sweating the entire drive though because I know the consequences....

Get notified of new replies

To APS-Twin Turbo sucked water---bang goes my motor.

Quick Reply: APS-Twin Turbo sucked water---bang goes my motor.