C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Root or centrifugal

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 PM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Interesting thread, even being 4 years old.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP.

I want a street supercharger setup as I have no intention of going to the track. I would be fine with 550-600 to the rear wheels as anything more inevitably means additional mods or upgrading drive train.

The other critical thing to me is permanent modifications to the car to install. I want to be able to return the car to stock with no evidence of previous installation some time down the road which means no cutting of bumper covers or radiators, etc. Both the A&A and ECS kits requires those kind of modifications (and in some cases more) where the E-Force kit does not.

Obviously I also want the setup to fit under the stock hood and want a turnkey kit.

I'm still researching Whipple kit options but it looks like not an option with stock hood.

Last edited by RC4G; 06-12-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RC4G
Interesting thread, even being 4 years old.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP.

I want a street supercharger setup as I have no intention of going to the track. I would be fine with 550-600 to the rear wheels as anything more inevitably means additional mods or upgrading drive train.

The other critical thing to me is permanent modifications to the car to install. I want to be able to return the car to stock with no evidence of previous installation some time down the road which means no cutting of bumper covers or radiators, etc.
Both the A&A and ECS kits requires those kind of modifications (and in some cases more) where the E-Force kit does not.

Obviously I also want the setup to fit under the stock hood and want a turnkey kit.

I'm still researching Whipple kit options.
What about the Magnuson Heartbeat? I don't know a ton about it, but it does look like some guys are getting great results with them
Old 06-12-2015, 04:50 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
There certainly haven't been any complaints from me. I just see the more torque down low argument over and over every time this debate comes up. Personally I've never tried to race anyone at 2500 rpms. Downshifting works so much better.
Simple, big heavy cars like Camaros, Challengers =PD Blower. Corvette = Centrifugal or Turbo.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:19 AM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For a street car and highway killer I'm a tvs 2300 guy all the way. I'm pushing mine far beyond the norm but I absolutely love it. It's like driving a go cart with a 600ci big block. And for all the people saying that a PD blower falls on its face up top, it depends on the build. Cam specs, intake throttle body upgrades, porting of the blower, ect ect. Both blowers have their benefits. But I for one would never take off my magnuson for anything less than two big a## turbos. And some nitrous.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:47 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm looking at the Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger now as well even though I'm not wild about removing the hoodliner. Their site mentions you can use the Lingenfelter .25" frame spacers as an alternative to removing the liner though.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:22 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RC4G
I'm looking at the Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger now as well even though I'm not wild about removing the hoodliner. Their site mentions you can use the Lingenfelter .25" frame spacers as an alternative to removing the liner though.
Pretty sure one of the vendors here has motor mounts that are slightly shorter, just as another option. Hinson maybe?
Old 06-15-2015, 03:37 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I still have the hood liner on my GS with a Heartbeat under it. There's a clamp that rubs the liner just a little. I think it's the clamp that holds the rubber flex tube to the throttle body. You can see a very slight indentation in the hood liner. It doesn't really bother me. It would have to get way worse for me to think I need to remove the liner. I'd probably do that before lowering the motor.

My last Vette had an aftermarket hood (to clear a jackshaft Maggie TVS2300) without the liner. I didn't really miss it. You could hear a little more motor music, but only at WOT. The Maggie TVS2300's (including the Heartbeat) make very little noise when not in boost.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I'm more than happy with my Heartbeat!
I just came back from a hour long drive with my car in 91 degree weather, and even driving in traffic with 190+ ECTs, my IATs never went over 102 degrees and mostly stayed around 99 degree once I was cruising at 40+ mph. So much for these blowers being "heaters" and "heat sinks"!
The other myth is that these blowers only produce low end power and fall off on the top. If you compare the dyno sheets (the whole power curve, not a "cutoff" version like I've seen on some websites) you will see that it's actually the opposite. These blowers, even with low boost and a stock cam, tend to have a more linear HP curve at the top, and pound for pound of boost, these blowers will produce similar power to the centrifugal kits. They're prohibited from making big (700+WHP) numbers because they are (currently) pulley limited, IMV.
There was an A6 guy (monsta01) on here that ran a 9.98 @ 140 with a stock converter, albeit with the highest blower speed available at that time for the HB. He's since taken the kit off to go in search of bigger numbers with a centri kit. To me, a 140mph trap speed with an automatic is proof that these blowers make good top end power.
I researched this website and many others for about 2 years before I settled on buying the Heartbeat. I was looking at the Edkebrock, then I decided I was going with an ECS, then I looked into a whipple, but after some careful consideration I went with this kit, even though Magnuson has probably the lousiest reputation for after sale support on here, IMHO.
BTW: I don't see any evidence that the clamp touches the hood liner on mine. I think that might be because I had cut open my radiator shroud for the CAI I had on it before, and had to cover that up with a flat piece of aluminium, and so, instead of using the Magnuson supplied template to bore the holes to mount the air inlet assembly, I just shoved it down into the front cavity as far as it would go and drilled the holes there. I think that puts my inlet a little lower down than what the template would dictate. Whatever it is, mine doesn't touch as far as I can see.
I will probably do the Hinson 3/8" lower mounts at some stage, but for other reasons.
The best part is that, with the guidance of the very able "Heartbeat" guys (my god, that sounds gay! WTF was Magnuson thinking??) on here, I was able to install my kit by myself in my garage, and I don't have one complaint about how it turned out. When I lift the hood and one of my friends looks under it, the first thing they usually say is, "****, that thing looks factory installed!"
Old 06-15-2015, 06:36 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
I just came back from a hour long drive with my car in 91 degree weather, and even driving in traffic with 190+ ECTs, my IATs never went over 102 degrees and mostly stayed around 99 degree once I was cruising at 40+ mph. So much for these blowers being "heaters" and "heat sinks"!
The other myth is that these blowers only produce low end power and fall off on the top. If you compare the dyno sheets (the whole power curve, not a "cutoff" version like I've seen on some websites) you will see that it's actually the opposite. These blowers, even with low boost and a stock cam, tend to have a more linear HP curve at the top, and pound for pound of boost, these blowers will produce similar power to the centrifugal kits. They're prohibited from making big (700+WHP) numbers because they are (currently) pulley limited, IMV.
There was an A6 guy (monsta01) on here that ran a 9.98 @ 140 with a stock converter, albeit with the highest blower speed available at that time for the HB. He's since taken the kit off to go in search of bigger numbers with a centri kit. To me, a 140mph trap speed with an automatic is proof that these blowers make good top end power.
I researched this website and many others for about 2 years before I settled on buying the Heartbeat. I was looking at the Edkebrock, then I decided I was going with an ECS, then I looked into a whipple, but after some careful consideration I went with this kit, even though Magnuson has probably the lousiest reputation for after sale support on here, IMHO.
BTW: I don't see any evidence that the clamp touches the hood liner on mine. I think that might be because I had cut open my radiator shroud for the CAI I had on it before, and had to cover that up with a flat piece of aluminium, and so, instead of using the Magnuson supplied template to bore the holes to mount the air inlet assembly, I just shoved it down into the front cavity as far as it would go and drilled the holes there. I think that puts my inlet a little lower down than what the template would dictate. Whatever it is, mine doesn't touch as far as I can see.
I will probably do the Hinson 3/8" lower mounts at some stage, but for other reasons.
The best part is that, with the guidance of the very able "Heartbeat" guys (my god, that sounds gay! WTF was Magnuson thinking??) on here, I was able to install my kit by myself in my garage, and I don't have one complaint about how it turned out. When I lift the hood and one of my friends looks under it, the first thing they usually say is, "****, that thing looks factory installed!"
I have a centri because i have an Ls2. Happy with it. ..but after seeing the install and driving it, i would do a head swap and heartbeat blower next time as i spend way more time under 4k rpm than above it.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:41 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 PM
monsta01
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys I gotta say I loved the Heartbeat. But now that I have finished my Procharger build there is no comparison. My IAT never goes above 80-90 with meth even with 90+ degree ambient temps.

My car made 800whp through an auto in 90 degree shop temps with conservative timing. The noises this thing makes is soooo much fun and I don't feel like it is sluggish down low. Yes it makes less tq down low but I still ran a 9.96 in the heat with this blower.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 PM
chaver450
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old motorhead
A waste would be having a supercharger that only boosts power in an rpm band that you rarely visit on the street
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I'd give up my A&A kitted, methanol injected, 3.42 geared 600 rwhp "revver" for some more boost down low. All about the fun factor me. I'd swap to an edelbrock or heartbeat in a minute if it was free. But I'm afraid there's no turning back...too far down the centri road.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:17 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by monsta01
Guys I gotta say I loved the Heartbeat. But now that I have finished my Procharger build there is no comparison. My IAT never goes above 80-90 with meth even with 90+ degree ambient temps.

My car made 800whp through an auto in 90 degree shop temps with conservative timing. The noises this thing makes is soooo much fun and I don't feel like it is sluggish down low. Yes it makes less tq down low but I still ran a 9.96 in the heat with this blower.
Hey Joe. Glad to hear that your back on the road again.
It would be great if you did a thread on your build so we can see what you've done with that monsta.
What kind of speeds are you trapping??
800hp is a big gain over the 660 that you made with the Heartbeat, but since you're running meth on the Procharger setup then it's not really an apples to apples comparison. I appreciate of course, that you were running the HB with race gas, but you still weren't getting the full benefit that meth gives you in terms of lower IATs. As I see it, the problem right now with putting meth on the Hbeat (or EForce) in the conventional throttle body location is that the meth will have to go through the rotors and up into the plenum before getting to the CICs, so whilst you might get the benefit of the high octane effect from the meth, you don't get the cooling effect of spraying it directly onto the CICs.
If someone could come up with a simple system to inject the meth into the plenum onto (or after) the CICs, that would probably produce much better results, I think.
And of course, the HBeat is pulley limited to ~12psi, as I think you've proven.
Nitrous outlet says they're working on something for the Hbeat, which should be interesting. A nice plenum mounted methanol-augmented nitrous spray bar system would be very interesting...

Quick Reply: Root or centrifugal