C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fans Wont turn On

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fans Wont turn On

Hey guys, I am having an issue with my cooling fans. This is the 2nd time since Supercharging my car that this has happened. I was driving home last night and noticed my coolant temps in the 205-210 range which I knew was not normal with an outside temp of 56 degrees. I suspected my cooling fans were not working. I know my fans are set to come on when the coolant reaches 196 degrees. Since it was so cool out I was able to make it home with no issues. The car ran around 183 degrees once I was on the highway. But my check engine light also came on. I had a problem with my fans last year because of the fan relay melting. Since then the fan wires have been hard wired and I was told I wouldn't have this problem again. Well lo and behold I have the problem again. I am trying to figure out what would have triggered the check engine light. I thought it may have been a blown fuse for the fans but when I got home I checked the fuse and it looked fine. I don't recall the check engine light coming on the last time I had the issue with the melted wires and I can't really see the area where the wires are so I can not confirm that the issue is the wires. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing the check engine light? I don't have a tool to pull the codes so I am going kind of blind here. Just hoping someone else may have had a similar issue and has some knowledge of what might be the cause.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:15 AM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would check the connector for overheating the terminals. If the temp got too hot the check engine light would come on. Most of the connector issues are due to the aftermarket tune, The fan duty cycle.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 AM
fahadzo6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

listen carefully to your fan when you start your engine if it work so nothing wrong with your fan if not just check your fan relay again and your wires and try to connect them directly ,, and the check engine light should appear when the coolant temp gets high don't worry about it ,,, it hapen with me before .
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fahadzo6
listen carefully to your fan when you start your engine if it work so nothing wrong with your fan if not just check your fan relay again and your wires and try to connect them directly ,, and the check engine light should appear when the coolant temp gets high don't worry about it ,,, it hapen with me before .
Apparently you did not read my post in its entirety. I already know the fans are not working and the fan wires are already connected directly as I have had this issue before. The coolant never went above 208 so the check engine light would not have come on for the coolant temps as that is not a very high temp. I do not have a lift so I cannot get under the car and the wires are difficult to see from the top. Just wanted to know if there may be another cause to the check engine light.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Have the code checked out first. Mine did the same thing plug/melt wise but it did not throw a code.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BADZ
Have the code checked out first. Mine did the same thing plug/melt wise but it did not throw a code.
Do you know if a faulty thermostat would throw a code? I am wondering if the thermostat was faulty and caused the fans to overload and fry the wires.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 AM
cvccbum
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJLS708
Do you know if a faulty thermostat would throw a code? I am wondering if the thermostat was faulty and caused the fans to overload and fry the wires.
The water/anti-freeze wouldn't circulate (fans would be doing no good) and it would overheat harshly if the thermostat failed.

Theres two different connectors on the fans that typically fail. I'm assuming you only hard wired the main one (90% of cases) so you may want to check the other. It's connected to the actual fan motor.

If that's not burnt, your tuner could have turned your fans up too high (100%) and burned the motor out?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cvccbum
The water/anti-freeze wouldn't circulate (fans would be doing no good) and it would overheat harshly if the thermostat failed.

Theres two different connectors on the fans that typically fail. I'm assuming you only hard wired the main one (90% of cases) so you may want to check the other. It's connected to the actual fan motor.

If that's not burnt, your tuner could have turned your fans up too high (100%) and burned the motor out?
What's confusing me is that it was very cool out and the fans probably should not have even come on much at all. I'm at my tuners now and they are just opening shop at the moment. Hopefully this is not a big issue. I will report the findings.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It is likely the connector. Some info here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...d-working.html

This is what mine looked like:

Two years later the positive connection became intermittent as well as the PWM controller burning up.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cvccbum

Looks like you are the winner, turns out it was the 2nd connector giving me issues. Everything is hard wired now so hopefully this is the end of my cooling fan issues. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
cvccbum
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJLS708
Looks like you are the winner, turns out it was the 2nd connector giving me issues. Everything is hard wired now so hopefully this is the end of my cooling fan issues. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Fans Wont turn On

Quick Reply: Fans Wont turn On