C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun alternator pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Hum...always thought the clutch'd alternator was tied to cars with the A6 trans
I did too, but when my VIN was entered and the part pulled, it was a clutched unit. That will definitely stop it from spinning the nut off.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ITSGRAND
I did too, but when my VIN was entered and the part pulled, it was a clutched unit. That will definitely stop it from spinning the nut off.
Probably a decision based on only needing to stock a single replacement part number and letting the customer pay the extra cost for the more costly clutched alternator.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:12 PM
ttfanatic
Advanced

Default same here

With only about 1900 miles, I was hard on the car for the first time since the E-Force install. Well, as soon as I backed off I noticed how hard it was to steer and then noticed that my temp gauge was soaring to the red zone. It hit 260 and I pulled it into neutral and shut off the motor, coasting along so I could get it off the highway without blowing it. I cranked it three more times briefly to limp it to the next exit.

Popped the hood and instantly noticed that the belt was off. I started lining the belt back up and had made a call for tools when I noticed the alternator pulley was sitting really crooked. Checked it out and the nut was barely on and the inside of that pulley had been gauged and burred such that it no longer fit well. I smoothed it out as much as possible and tightened it as well as I could to limp it the 4 miles back home. I'm going to try and get the dealer to just swap alternators with me and let me do the work so I don't have to tow it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I just had the same problem, wasn't so lucky thou.. the belt broke and took out the wire harness for the ABS. I notices that the alternator pulley was hanging on by a thread. I installed the e-force about 1500mi ago with no issues..I wonder why GM doesn't use locktite on that nut??
Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably increased belt tension with the SC not allowing for the belt to slip on the alternator and instead backing it out.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:56 AM
v jet
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Happened To Me Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got about 2,000 miles on my E-Force and running it about two miles from home stuck a hard 2nd with my drag radials and the belt came off. Limped home examined the alternator pulley and it was hanging on sideways, but loose!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn GM! What is a clutch style alternator? I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Robls6
What I mean is the centri kits are proven. It seems like quite a few people are having issues with the new Edelbrock kit. (not to mention making less horespower)
And Centri kits had their fair share of problems in the beginning and now as well. Get off of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 AM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Originally Posted by v jet
Got about 2,000 miles on my E-Force and running it about two miles from home stuck a hard 2nd with my drag radials and the belt came off. Limped home examined the alternator pulley and it was hanging on sideways, but loose!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn GM! What is a clutch style alternator? I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
The clutch style alternators will allow the alternator to spin freely faster than the belt is moving so when engine RPMs drop quickly the alternator can spin off the momentum instead of spinning the pulley off. The front pulley is closed off with the clutch mechanism and it does look visually different.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I clearly place this issue at Edelbrocks feet. They designed the system for the C6 Corvette. They should have done all their homework and long term testing to insure that their system is compatable with the Vettes operating systems, and if not, recommended the proper fix to insure the S/C and engine work together properly. They didnt and it seems many have had headaches from them not doing what should have been done.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Autozone kept wondering why I would bring in fried alternators.
Autozone alternators
Old 10-12-2011, 03:11 AM
magls2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Alternator Connector protection

About a month ago i noticed that the alternator connector was sort of close to the supercharger dress-up covers.

Here is cheap insurance

Cable protection Conduit tube: To protecting both the alternator connector and cable (available at most auto stores)

Close up of the install

Birds eye view of install

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

my procharger did the same thing 5 years ago...has nothing to do with the blower type. as said lock tight it and it will be fine
Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 PM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
Autozone alternators
You laugh, but until they started jacking up their prices about 5-7 years ago, it was the best deal running and most of the stuff was of a decent quality. With the prices AZ charges now, I can buy stuff at the dealer with my discount for less.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Ilovemycar
3rd Gear

Just happened to me, took it off applied loctite and it happened again anyway! This time the pulley is damaged! Crazy!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shiza, I better go get some loctite on that pulley!

This could happen to any C6 sc'd or NOT!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Not any CS. Only those with the old school 'nut'.

I replaced mine and got a unit that has the clutch style.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Ilovemycar
3rd Gear

Went to the dealer today and they gave me a new one under warranty with the new style clutch pulley under warranty! Very happy!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Ilovemycar
3rd Gear

Default 600 Rwhp and happy!

Just got an Edelbrock system on my 427 Convertible - insane!
Very very fast!

Quick Reply: Spun alternator pulley