C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When I talk to "car guys"

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When I talk to "car guys"

I love talking cars, I am a gear head and have a passion for autos generally. But when I talk cars, I notice that there are "car guys" and then there are car guys. The "car guys" are the ones you have probably heard a hundred times with an opinion on every car in the world of which they have never driven.

Corvettes always get the **** stick lol.

They are either Porsche fanatics, Audi boys, BMW freaks...you name it. Admittedly I was a BMW fan for a long time and had the same "car guy"mentality. Then i realized that every car has a unique personality and that's what makes them great. Porsches for their 4 wheel drive, heritage, build quality, and rear bias. BMW for there great feel and balanced engines. Audi for their 4 wheel drive sedan machines.

But you know what, corvettes get no love, no love at all. After listening to all these "car guys", I have come up with a great logical argument for them. Their go to is...."Your car is fast, but....on turns that (insert car BMW, Porsche, Audi) would kill you"

My three point answer: those cars are heavier, have smaller tires, and higher center gravity.

Their rebuttal: its not all about that, they turn good

Just had to rant because I literally laugh at how idiotic people are when it comes to simple things. Im not saying our corvettes are God's send to the world (well maybe), just tired of that "car guy" we all have met before.

BTW, had an f430 for breakfast in a canyon. love how terrible our cars turn. I had to use all power and no turning or breaks because all my car is is a sled thats goes straight down the road. I guess they just have to learn by experience.

from London, soon to be home again in the great U. S. of A

Last edited by mooksz06; 12-07-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can relate, but I don't consider myself the norm either, so I don't expect people to be a able to talke TT Gallardos, Switzer 911, Protomotive, 800whp EVO's. GT500's, GTR's, Supras from back in the day, Corvettes, Vipers, etc etc.

I'm as brand loyal as a Walmart shopper
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jasil
I can relate, but I don't consider myself the norm either, so I don't expect people to be a able to talke TT Gallardos, Switzer 911, Protomotive, 800whp EVO's. GT500's, GTR's, Supras from back in the day, Corvettes, Vipers, etc etc.

I'm as brand loyal as a Walmart shopper
That's a great list of cars.

That's my point! It would be like me talking about how crappy an EVO is when I have never driven one, not to mention a 800WHP awd monster.

Like you, I am not loyal anymore to brands and realize that as much as I love my vette, its not the best at everything.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

now stock vs stock ita different storie, guess what it take to bring an evo at 800whp, and supra' to do 9's! what a zr1 need? couples bolts on!

i onwed both, 2 wrs sti 600whp and 5 supra rate from 363 whp bpu to 1063 whp gt 4202
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Z06-TT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bring up the Nurburgring. Lol. Vette destories on that
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 AM
newvetteguy9
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes timmy but i can make an evo that fast or a supra that fast for about half of what a zr1 cost. not knocking you but i've done it. i love my vette and drive it everyday. but have a drag car that i've spent maybe a quarter of the cost of a new zr1 and still runs 9 second passes consistently and on a regular basis.
i would love to have the funds for a zr1 but the army pays well but not that well! i actually got rid of my modded b7 s4 to get the vette. i am not a loyal customer to any one brand or make. just my .02
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 AM
c6vette142dude
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-TT
Just bring up the Nurburgring. Lol. Vette destories on that
Just because someone is a self-proclaimed "car guy", doesn't mean they know a lot.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

I can relate. A guy at work always tells people that his BMW Z3 or 4 is a "sports" car and my vette is a muscle car. Basically his point is the same as you're car guy's point that vettes are only fast in a straight line. I let it go because if he believes that there's no point in spending the time to educate. I just tune into the next AMLS race, hey those muscle cars did pretty well this year in "sports car" racing didn't they.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My personal favorite is when a "car guy" comes up to me at a car show Ect.. and proceeds to tell me all about what their friends vette did and how I should have done this instead of that Ect. And have absolutely NO IDEA what their talking about! Drives me nutz....
Old 12-09-2012, 02:05 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

The "car guys" you refer to I call (you tubers)... Because they seen it on you tube they think they know it... You tubers gen are the younger crowd being under 26ish.. On my local fourm you can find it all day long.. Younger 16-26 guys talking trash about corvettes (point in click cars, the money spent on one you can easly build a faster car for the price,etc etc all while they are driving 350z's, sti's,gtis in such.. Then they bring up the GTR. I don't even reply to Them most of the Time.. Better off reading YouTube comments. Mean while the little older guys talking how they want one..The driving experience of the corvette is what makes it awesome.. It's an all rounded platform
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I just wanna go fast...
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marine&hisvette
The "car guys" you refer to I call (you tubers)... Because they seen it on you tube they think they know it... You tubers gen are the younger crowd being under 26ish.. On my local fourm you can find it all day long.. Younger 16-26 guys talking trash about corvettes (point in click cars, the money spent on one you can easly build a faster car for the price,etc etc all while they are driving 350z's, sti's,gtis in such.. Then they bring up the GTR. I don't even reply to Them most of the Time.. Better off reading YouTube comments. Mean while the little older guys talking how they want one..The driving experience of the corvette is what makes it awesome.. It's an all rounded platform
The other cars YES the C6 is night and days above on so many levels when you talk about the total package. My EVO was a blast though much more fun under 60mph even if not as fast!

GTR? The only thing you can say negative is $$$, or not traditional manual, or maybe it's ugly?

There are 8 GTR's in the 8's@164mph-173mph how many C6's are doing that?

One Lap of America has been decimated by the GTR 3 years in a row wanna guess what car will win it this year?

Posts some of the fastest 60-130mph times PERIOD in modded form.

They are rare imagine that a car that retains resale value and you don't see 10 a day?

Sorry, but I don't see how you think a GTR is not on a Vette level A great example is the thread about Lethal and their 9.7@163mph run on DR's with a 6speed. It's by far my favorite Vette build because it doesn't have a slush box!! I don't see how people see that as impressive, but don't see say Sean Ivey's are Tim's full interior GTR's running 8.9's@166mph+ on DR's as not impressive?

Last edited by Jasil; 12-09-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

A corvette requires driver mod... Gtr= barbie cars... I call them that because anyOne can take a 13 gtr and run a 10sec pass in stock form. How many people can Take even an auto c6 and come close to what There brocher claims? It's like playing a video game and just seems to take the excitement of driving away.. The car does 95% of the work.. All they have to do is steer... anyhow if I do recall there's not one gtr that can even tip 7's..and isn't there a c6 in the 6's??. Lmr took the street king title.. You can't really find gtr's on the road.. Looks like an maxima and hard to spot out..truth be told the average gtr can destroy the average c6... The dct is impressive... Not for 20k$... Rather have lg's sequential m6..
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slo-Poc
I just wanna go fast...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
A great example is the thread about Lethal and their 9.7@163mph run on DR's with a 6speed. It's by far my favorite Vette build because it doesn't have a slush box!!
I had to Google Slush box lol....makes way more sense now.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

We can build our cars for any purpose...so can everyone else. As an avid car nut I can safely say the ONLY TRUE statement is that there is ALWAYS someone faster...or can do something better...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin04
We can build our cars for any purpose...so can everyone else. As an avid car nut I can safely say the ONLY TRUE statement is that there is ALWAYS someone faster...or can do something better...

Agree 100% This is something that not a lot of people seem to understand.

I love the fact I have a 08 Corvette with a procharger but I know there's someone faster or someone with a nicer car and I accept that fact. I love how my car looks and the fact that when I forget how much power she has she bites me in the *** to remind me. Keeps me sane and happy.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 AM
lilmiller74
Instructor

I get made fun of by a bunch of kids with old *** corollas and supras lol...One guy has gone so far to say that he has as much money in his s2k motor as a used vette is worth...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilmiller74
I get made fun of by a bunch of kids with old *** corollas and supras lol...One guy has gone so far to say that he has as much money in his s2k motor as a used vette is worth...
WOW
guess he wins that dumba$$ contest

I personally love Dyno people LOL

yeah.... stupid has been breeding for a long time now
nothing we can do about

Get notified of new replies

To When I talk to "car guys"

Quick Reply: When I talk to "car guys"