C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Not yet on the 102. Long Michigan winter. Waiting for some Black Friday sales. Just bought the stage 1 E85 fuel system and flex fuel sensor. Gonna be a fun spring!
Old 11-21-2018, 09:10 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
Not yet on the 102. Long Michigan winter. Waiting for some Black Friday sales. Just bought the stage 1 E85 fuel system and flex fuel sensor. Gonna be a fun spring!
Nice! I’m looking forward to your results!
The following users liked this post:
ls1wolf (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:34 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scottg
Sammy, Don't know if you have been asked this before but do you have a lot of street rods down there that you run into on the street on a normal day, other than the video you showed at the strip. Curious minds want to know. Oh and have a great Thanksgiving to you and everyone on this thread.
Hey Scott. Same to you, bud. We actually have a few bonafide Hot Rods down here, including a guy with a couple of restorodded ******, a C2 with a big block, a Chevelle or two, etc. A friend of mine brought out his immaculate ‘65 GT350 clone Mustang and made a few passes with it at our last event. There’s a ton of turboed and nitroused 4-bangers here though, and that’s typically what shows up on race day, mostly Mitsubishi Evos and Civics. A few of those are very quick and the Evos have the distinct advantage of AWD on our poor track surface. Some of those guys are running 45-50 psi AND nitrous! There’s also a bunch of newer model Mustangs. Theres also a ton of bikes down here, and some of those are very quick. I’m basically the only guy fielding a couple of Chevys, my car and my brother’s.
Here’s a link to a gallery of one of our events on our website. If you browse through those, you’ll get an idea of what kind of vehicles are racing down here.
https://caymanracing.ky/uprising/
Old 11-21-2018, 10:51 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks Sammy nice pics, And nice ones of your ride.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:01 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Ordered all the stuff for the 8-rib conversion, so I’ll be doing that at some point in the near future. Got a 97.45” green belt and a slightly longer 98” Dayco belt from Rockauto, just in case the green one is too short. The 8-rib accessory pulley kit is on the way from IW. Meanwhile the 3.2” GripTech pulley, which was the first thing I ordered, has been returned to Z-Inducstries by UPS, because they forgot to put a friggin invoice on the packet for international shipment. Pure genius.
Since that’s delayed, I may just pull out the right front fender liner this weekend and swap out the Bosch H/X pump for the ZL1 pump.
Chiselchst (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:13 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm stoked to follow your IC pump change out results - I've had my car in 2-3 shops, and brought my ZR1 pump in and asked them to install it, but they all said it wouldn't fit. I told them some fab would be required when I dropped it off...with my bad back I haven't even looked at my Hx system too closely.

Also excited to follow the 8-rib belt conversion! I thought that had all but died, so it's cool to see that an option! When I have me knee replaced in the spring, and get off disability and retire, I might be able to access some $$$ and do my engine upgrade (CNC heads, cam & e85). We only live once!

Thanks so much Sammy for always sharing your projects! It's so appreciated...
FWIW, we finally are getting some rain here, and can breath the air again. The fires here have been unreal! A whole town burned down, hundreds missing. Grateful to be safe and (semi) healthy...
Old 11-22-2018, 07:35 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
I'm stoked to follow your IC pump change out results - I've had my car in 2-3 shops, and brought my ZR1 pump in and asked them to install it, but they all said it wouldn't fit. I told them some fab would be required when I dropped it off...with my bad back I haven't even looked at my Hx system too closely.

Also excited to follow the 8-rib belt conversion! I thought that had all but died, so it's cool to see that an option! When I have me knee replaced in the spring, and get off disability and retire, I might be able to access some $$$ and do my engine upgrade (CNC heads, cam & e85). We only live once!

Thanks so much Sammy for always sharing your projects! It's so appreciated...
FWIW, we finally are getting some rain here, and can breath the air again. The fires here have been unreal! A whole town burned down, hundreds missing. Grateful to be safe and (semi) healthy...
Hey Mitch. Sorry to hear that you’re not doing so well. Glad to hear that you’re getting some rain. I’ve been following that thing called “news” on the wildfires over there (most of which is PC bullshit about who said what and why) and it is crazy. Sad too, since California is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been and the people are actually nice.
On the HX pump, I’m even thinking I might rig the BAP to it and see how that works. I’ve mentioned this before and I don’t know if anyone has tried it, but I figure it can’t hurt, unless the damn motor burns up, which isn’t a big deal for me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I’m sure that it will take a bit of fabricating to get the ZL1 pump to work too, since that’s shorter and fatter than the Bosch.
I’m pretty sure that a flex fuel install and the requisite injector upgrade is in my future as well, but I need to figure out if I have enough fuel system to support that, because I’ll be damned if I’m dropping the tanks to frig around with installing a double or triple pump setup. I’ll throw a cell in the back of it and do a dedicated return system first.
Right now, I need to concentrate on getting the car to hook. Hopefully, the 15” conversion will sort that out. We’re also working hard at the track to rewire the timing system, so maybe, with a bit of luck, I’ll have a timing slip soon. Hopefully, it won’t be too embarrassing.

Last edited by CI GS; 11-22-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Traction - not a bad problem to have...the 15's should help quite a bit IMHO.

Love the BAP idea, I can't see why that shouldn't work. Commonly done with many electric motors.

I hear you on the fuel cell. They sure didn't make it easy to upgrade the fuel pumps/systems!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:44 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Gents - In addition to the fuel system for E85, I had to order the Innovator West lower from Juiced Motorsports as their pricing was amazing.

I have the pin kit from the heartbeat original kit still. Can that be used again for this? Also, use the bolt that comes with the pulley or ARP? I currently have an ARP on the stock balancer.

Lastly, remove steering rack or lower the cradle for install? Thoughts?

Going for the gusto in the spring.... god I hope this trans holds together...
CI GS (11-28-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 10:01 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
Gents - In addition to the fuel system for E85, I had to order the Innovator West lower from Juiced Motorsports as their pricing was amazing.

I have the pin kit from the heartbeat original kit still. Can that be used again for this? Also, use the bolt that comes with the pulley or ARP? I currently have an ARP on the stock balancer.

Lastly, remove steering rack or lower the cradle for install? Thoughts?

Going for the gusto in the spring.... god I hope this trans holds together...
Which size IW balancer did you go with? I opted for the 8-rib with the oversized “blower hub”, which comes with its own custom sized timing chain cover seal. I also bought the very neat IW crank pinning kit, which is the best and easiest way to pin their balancer. I marked the pulley so I would know how to position the pins so as to avoid drilling right next to the half-holes left by the Magnuson pinning kit (picture below). I would definitely invest in that pinning kit.
You also need to use the IW crank bolt that comes with the balancer. Their instructions specifically state that, IIRC.
I would pull the rack, but that’s only because after having to do it twice (don’t ask), I developed a relatively easy way to take the whole rack out through the top of the engine bay. The gory details are buried in a post somewhere earlier on in this now unwieldy thread.
Glad to hear that you’re going to take that thing to the next level. Don’t worry about the trans, it’ll be fine.

Last edited by CI GS; 11-26-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Went with the 10% over 8 rib. I do not want t do this again so in prep for future mods I went with the 8 rib. Been reading horror stories all morning about how to do the install. I really should have done this when I did the cam.... ugh

i need to find your install write up now
Old 11-28-2018, 12:44 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I went ahead and installed the BAP on the HX pump tonight. It was pretty easy - hardest part was figuring out where to put it. I ended up deciding that the only place to mount it was under the right fender where it meets the cowl, behind the HX coolant tank. Once I figured that out, it was just a matter of making a bracket to mount it and everything else after that was pretty straightforward. I tested it by turning the key on to run the pump and then bridged the Hobbs switch wires, and I could hear a noticeable difference in the sound of the pump and the flow of coolant through the HX tank. I’ll see how it works at the track this Sunday, if the weather holds.
EDIT: For clarification, I’m using the Hobbs to only activate the BAP when under boost, since that’s the only time I would really need it, other than after a burnout or so. During normal cruising, my IATs stay just about or slightly above ambient. If it looks like it helps, I may re-rig it in the future for manual activation so that I can run the pump at higher voltage during and after a burnout and throughout a run.

Last edited by CI GS; 11-28-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 AM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you guys seen what the Aussies are doing? They are basically running part of their AC system into the intercooler on the heartbeat.

https://fiinterchillers.com/products/
The following 2 users liked this post by Brewdog:
Chiselchst (11-29-2018), CI GS (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

That is very interesting. I wonder if it collects condensation under the lid of the supercharger. No price on the web page that I saw.I have to belief that Sammy should have one and report back to us, It is always 85 degrees down there. Heck I would like one up here for my 3 months of hot weather. By the way nice install Sammy

Last edited by scottg; 11-28-2018 at 07:07 AM.
CI GS (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Have you guys seen what the Aussies are doing? They are basically running part of their AC system into the intercooler on the heartbeat.

https://fiinterchillers.com/products/
That’s a very interesting setup. I’ve heard of other systems that use the A/C to cool the HX coolant. Those Aussies are bloody awesome, mate! Without them, there wouldn’t even be a Heartbeat blower, among other things.
I would need to know some more about it before I pulled the trigger on one, though, and I would need to know for sure that it wouldn’t compromise my air conditioning, because I’m not giving up any comfort in this car. I already have a race car that I got sick of sweating my *** off in. At our track, we mandate that all A/ C systems have to be turned off. I cannot understand how it would be possible to run the system “in race mode” on track without condensation dripping from the car. And then there’s the fact that when you go WOT, the AC compressor trips out, for good reason. I know what it sounds like to grenade one of those suckers. Did that in my old 1998 Z28 and it scared the living **** out of me.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scottg
That is very interesting. I wonder if it collects condensation under the lid of the supercharger. No price on the web page that I saw.I have to belief that Sammy should have one and report back to us, It is always 85 degrees down there. Heck I would like one up here for my 3 months of hot weather. By the way nice install Sammy
Thanks Scott. If it does collect condensation under the lid, that would be an added benefit - water injection!
I’m going to stick with the BAP and some chemical cooling until I can upgrade the fuel system and injectors and go Flex fuel on this b!tch. All I want to do is get the 8-rib setup on it, but USPS appears to be playing games shipping my IW pulley set all over the US (it’s been through the Chicago facility 3 times now!) and I can’t even get hold of Z-industries since UPS returned my pulley last week because they hadn’t included an invoice. Who would’ve thought it would be so goddamn difficult to ship a bunch of pulleys? Rockauto on the other hand, fedexed my belts out the same day and I had them in my hand by the end of the next day. Man, I love those guys.
BTW: Guess what temp it is outside right now? Yep, 85 frickin degrees.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:59 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice job Sammy!
I'd like the option to run the Hx pump (w/ or w/o the BAP) when the car is parked - to help cool back down. I might wire a manual bypass if I do the next round of mods. I like the idea to be able to cool down when parked (maybe even with a fan)
Mine cools down quickly once started after being parked for a bit, but I think it would cool down better if starting from a lower temp.

If you get that baby to hook, get the 8-rib up and running, damn...you will be frickin' hard to beat!
++++++++++++++++
Refrigerant -> inter-cooler = nice. I imagined they would just chill the IC water. Makes more sense to do it the other way though, as long as nothing leaks, LOL
Regarding the HVAC / Induction system, I understand(?) the Demon has that also?
I think it's a great idea, as long the *cabin* is comfortable. I'm with Sammy - must be comfortable inside

Last edited by Chiselchst; 11-28-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Nice job Sammy!
I'd like the option to run the Hx pump (w/ or w/o the BAP) when the car is parked - to help cool back down. I might wire a manual bypass if I do the next round of mods. I like the idea to be able to cool down when parked (maybe even with a fan)
Mine cools down quickly once started after being parked for a bit, but I think it would cool down better if starting from a lower temp.

If you get that baby to hook, get the 8-rib up and running, damn...you will be frickin' hard to beat!
++++++++++++++++
Refrigerant -> inter-cooler = nice. I imagined they would just chill the IC water. Makes more sense to do it the other way though, as long as nothing leaks, LOL
Regarding the HVAC / Induction system, I understand(?) the Demon has that also?
I think it's a great idea, as long the *cabin* is comfortable. I'm with Sammy - must be comfortable inside
Yep, I’ve seen that after shut down heat soak effect as well, and I’ve always thought what we need is something like the “turbo timer” system that the turbo 4-banger guys use - a system that runs our HX pump and the cooling fan for say, 4-5 mins after you shut off the car. That way, the HX system will prevent the CACs themselves from being heat soaked by the radiation of heat through the manifold. That way, when you restart, the HX can instantly bring the IAT back down. I have to say though, that with the larger HX reservoir, during the time between when I restart my car in the pits and drive to the start line, the IAT drops significantly to right around what the coolant in the tank is at. There’s many ways to ‘skin the cat’, so to speak. But the best way is definitely to simply inject methanol under the lid (as opposed to at the TB) and/or run E85. Watch that space. I just need to get my damn pulleys so I can (hopefully) get rid of the belt slip first.
Chiselchst (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

CI GS .....

I was initially concerned with possible belt slip after installing my Maggie on my GS, but I never got any on the dyno pulls. I am thinking that since I only make a max of 7 1/2 PSI of boost and only spin the engine to 6,300 rpm that belt slip should continue to be a non-issue for me.

But, I am just curious as to at what boost levels were you at when belt slip reared it's ugly head for you ... Had to be at a point well above 7 1/2 PSI.

Ron,
Old 11-30-2018, 12:23 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
CI GS .....

I was initially concerned with possible belt slip after installing my Maggie on my GS, but I never got any on the dyno pulls. I am thinking that since I only make a max of 7 1/2 PSI of boost and only spin the engine to 6,300 rpm that belt slip should continue to be a non-issue for me.

But, I am just curious as to at what boost levels were you at when belt slip reared it's ugly head for you ... Had to be at a point well above 7 1/2 PSI.

Ron,
I had no problem with belt slip with the 90mm pulley and stock balancer, which made right around 8.5psi with the stock cam. It wasn’t until after I stepped up to the 10%OD balancer and the 81mm/3.2” pulley that I started experiencing belt slip. Max boost I’ve seen it hit (momentarily) was ~13.5 psi after doing the 102mm throttle body (which netted me ~1.5psi). Since changing the heads to the CNC ported ones, the boost dropped back down a bit, by about 1 psi from what I can tell. But it’s all over the friggin place: fluctuating between 11.5ish to 12.5 in the higher RPMs. If I can get it to stabilize at 12.5 psi, I’ll be happy.
I’ve been trying to contact Z-Industries all week to find out where the hell my new 3.2” 8-rib is. I’ve made one or two calls every day at different times and sent them online messages, to no avail, ever since UPS shipped the pulley back to them because they didn’t include an invoice. They sent me an apology message last Friday and said they would ship it back out, but I have not been able to get hold of them ever since. They don’t even have a voice mail service. Not sure what to make of that...

Last edited by CI GS; 11-30-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **