C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

I think you have proven its pretty darn good. Or you make it look good.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:31 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,343 Likes on 951 Posts

Are you going full bore at the launch or maybe ramping it up as the rpm/speed increases? It is purdy!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:02 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Are you going full bore at the launch or maybe ramping it up as the rpm/speed increases? It is purdy!
I have a NX progressive controller that starts @ 20% and I’ll ramp it in from there to 100% over 1-1.5 seconds and adjust it from there depending on how it hooks.
I’m going to start with a 100hp shot (.052” Nitrous jet). The only problem is that N.O. didn’t include the right fuel jets for E85 in the kit(a .052” requires a .025” @~55psi of fuel press on E85).
Got the box from Summit today with the rest of my fittings (and plenty more that I don’t need). I’m going back at it for a bit tonight.
BTW: Since I can’t get the LPE subframe spacers until December, according to Summit, I made some shims of my own yesterday to use for the time being. I bought a dozen 5/8” washers and cut a slot in them to use as shims (pic below). I’ve used two on each bolt so far, but I’m thinking I’ll add another for some extra space. The Camaro lid is just about to touch the cowl.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:42 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Finished up connecting the fuel and nitrous hoses tonight. Decided to pull fuel off the rail for now, which shouldn’t be a problem, since I’m using a small fuel jet (~.025”). I also decided to continue to use the #4AN nitrous supply line for now as well. The kit comes with a big old #6 line, but I was feeling too lazy to pull the new line all the to the rear compartment. I’m battling a flu and only firing on like 6 cylinders myself, so I quit early tonight.
BTW: I’m changing the plugs to Denso IT-24s (NGK 8 equivalent) from the IT-22s I have in there now, just to be safe, since I noticed that the ground strap is looking a little bluish. Those came in today, but Customs is still “inspecting” them.
I need to re-connect the wiring for the solenoids and then reconfigure the intercooler hoses put the intake pipe back on etc. and then I can test fire it to check for leaks, etc.

Last edited by CI GS; 11-05-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:15 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CI GS
But do you need to? Here’s the thing, with your setup, you can pulley down a bit more and increase your meth for additional octane and better IAT cooling.
True... I need to do a little math to see how hard I'm spinning this blower. It has a 3.25" pulley on it now, I have a feeling a 3" would be too much, but maybe a 3.125" or something would get me a little extra

Or I could put the long tubes back on but damn those things stunk. I still don't understand why it bothers me so much on my own car but tune cars with them all the time and it never bothers me when I'm driving around. I still think there's some kind of leak under the car or something weird like that that's letting fumes in or something.

Anyways, back to seeing how much abuse yours will take

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-06-2019 at 08:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (11-06-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:32 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
True... I need to do a little math to see how hard I'm spinning this blower. It has a 3.25" pulley on it now, I have a feeling a 3" would be too much, but maybe a 3.125" or something would get me a little extra

Or I could put the long tubes back on but damn those things stunk. I still don't understand why it bothers me so much on my own car but tune cars with them all the time and it never bothers me when I'm driving around. I still think there's some kind of leak under the car or something weird like that that's letting fumes in or something.

Anyways, back to seeing how much abuse yours will take
I can tell you what will cure that stink:E85.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:11 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I can tell you what will cure that stink:E85.
I'm sure that will help
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I'm sure that will help
“I love the smell of ethanol in the morning”...
(For youngsters like Carson, who might not have been born when Duvall uttered his infamous line in Apocalypse Now)

Last edited by CI GS; 11-07-2019 at 10:05 AM.
old motorhead (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:28 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Apocalypse Now)
I don't even know what that is

Oh well
Old 11-07-2019, 12:18 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

And Apocalypse Now can be a really good description of an LS engine on Naaaazzzzz...
The following 2 users liked this post by old motorhead:
CI GS (11-07-2019), schpenxel (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 04:51 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I don't even know what that is

Oh well
That's cuz you're a young whippersnapper!
That's a must see movie, dude. Duvall at his best. I'd send you a DVD, but it would arrive with an extra hole too!
Old 11-07-2019, 04:53 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

And Apocalypse Now can be a really good description of an LS engine on Naaaazzzzz...
LMAO! You're purty quick for an old timer...
If it doesn't go pop and it hooks, it will be an Apocalypse...
Old 11-07-2019, 04:59 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

Please have a video going when you get it dialed in. I'd be like Charlie Sheen when he firsts sees Marlon Brando.
CI GS (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 05:06 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

LMAO! You're purty quick for an old timer...
If it doesn't go pop and it hooks, it will be an Apocalypse...
I probably should have said F/I A N D Naaawzzzz is closer to Apocalypse right NOW. I messed with that stuff in the '70's. Probably before most reading this were born. Never blew a motor. Not any talent or knowledge on my part....just pure luck.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I probably should have said F/I A N D Naaawzzzz is closer to Apocalypse right NOW. I messed with that stuff in the '70's. Probably before most reading this were born. Never blew a motor. Not any talent or knowledge on my part....just pure luck.
Yep, that has always been a potentially dangerous combo for sure. I've blown up more than one nitrous motor myself, back in the day, experimenting. But we've come a long way with nitrous tuning since then. I remember when they used to tell that jetting rich was "safest" and everyone was jetting their nitrous plates to run pig rich and then when they ripped a ring land off, they would scratch their heads. But then some smart guys like Monte Smith (R.I.P.) came along and figured all that **** out for us
Not to mention the improvement in fuel quality between then and now, and the tuning with widebands and 'puters an' **** that exists now.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Anyone using methonal/nitrous in a stand alone tank for a little additional cylinder temperature control? I'm not nitrous savvy so I'm more thinking out loud. You'd need a significantly larger fuel jet for a methanol nitrous kit. Just a thought.
CI GS (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:07 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MickVette
Anyone using methonal/nitrous in a stand alone tank for a little additional cylinder temperature control? I'm not nitrous savvy so I'm more thinking out loud. You'd need a significantly larger fuel jet for a methanol nitrous kit. Just a thought.
Been saying that for years. Nitrous with methanol augmentation can make serious power. There used to be a guy called Chuck Goodman (who I believe passed away last year) who used to more than the hp output of Merc 2.5 drag outboards with his 2 and 3 stage Nitrox N2O+meth kits. I bought one from him, albeit only a single stage 85hp kit, back in the day for my old home built Monty Racing-built Johnson/ lightweight Mirage RR, and it was a blast to drive. It used to trap around 115mph in the 1/4, which was a big deal back then (1998-2000). It takes some know how to keep a nitrous-fed 10,000+rpm 2-stoke alive, and it seems that methanol was the key on those setups.
BTW: All of the nitrous companies offer methanol jetting charts, so it’s certainly easily doable. It’s something I may look into. But, I don’t think that methanol will add anything in terms of additional IAT cooling over nitrous injected right above the intake port, but the extra octane will no doubt be a plus, if it’s needed.
I believe you do need a fuel solenoid with special meth-tolerant plunger though, because it’s apparently even more corrosive than ethanol.

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Been saying that for years. Nitrous with methanol augmentation can make serious power. There used to be a guy called Chuck Goodman (who I believe passed away last year) who used to more than the hp output of Merc 2.5 drag outboards with his 2 and 3 stage Nitrox N2O+meth kits. I bought one from him, albeit only a single stage 85hp kit, back in the day for my old home built Monty Racing-built Johnson/ lightweight Mirage RR, and it was a blast to drive. It used to trap around 115mph in the 1/4, which was a big deal back then (1998-2000). It takes some know how to keep a nitrous-fed 10,000+rpm 2-stoke alive, and it seems that methanol was the key on those setups.
BTW: All of the nitrous companies offer methanol jetting charts, so it’s certainly easily doable. It’s something I may look into. But, I don’t think that methanol will add anything in terms of additional IAT cooling over nitrous injected right above the intake port, but the extra octane will no doubt be a plus, if it’s needed.
I believe you do need a fuel solenoid with special meth-tolerant plunger though, because it’s apparently even more corrosive than ethanol.

I did some searching this morning and found a pretty good read on the subject:
https://turbobuick.com/threads/nitro...thanol.242868/
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...e-nitrous.html
After reading until my eyes could barely focus anymore and tons of why this is a bad idea, I ran into a comment from someone at NX commenting on actual applications:
"The other application that it works really well in is a forced induction setup. Blower cars respond very well to using alky with a nitrous plate and gas on the motor because the blower is creating the heat due to the un-intercooled boost. There was a local guy here that ran a blower on a 468 BBC with a nitrous plate on alky. That blower loved it, and ran so cold that after an 1/8th mile pass the blower and hat would almost be frosted over, lol."

My Heartbeat arrives Mon and Tues according to the UPS tracking numbers so I have been reading this thread carefully to make this go smoothly as possible. I learned a lot so far reading what you guys have gone through with growing pains and what not. I also called NitrousOutlet asking if the kit you are using will work on the LS7 Heartbeat lid. It will not but I can send my lid in and they will install the spray bars directly in the lid which may be a nice option to save space under the cowl.

Last edited by MickVette; 11-08-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:57 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MickVette
I did some searching this morning and found a pretty good read on the subject:
https://turbobuick.com/threads/nitro...thanol.242868/
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...e-nitrous.html
After reading until my eyes could barely focus anymore and tons of why this is a bad idea, I ran into a comment from someone at NX commenting on actual applications:
"The other application that it works really well in is a forced induction setup. Blower cars respond very well to using alky with a nitrous plate and gas on the motor because the blower is creating the heat due to the un-intercooled boost. There was a local guy here that ran a blower on a 468 BBC with a nitrous plate on alky. That blower loved it, and ran so cold that after an 1/8th mile pass the blower and hat would almost be frosted over, lol."

My Heartbeat arrives Mon and Tues according to the UPS tracking numbers so I have been reading this thread carefully to make this go smoothly as possible. I learned a lot so far reading what you guys have gone through with growing pains and what not. I also called NitrousOutlet asking if the kit you are using will work on the LS7 Heartbeat lid. It will not but I can send my lid in and they will install the spray bars directly in the lid which may be a nice option to save space under the cowl.
Nice. Looking forward to your install report on here.
Lots of folks have all sorts of opinions and theories about all kinds of things that they haven’t field tested themselves. As with a gasoline augmented nitrous system, you need to get the mixture right to make power. Any kind of nitrous/fuel mixture will lose power if it’s too rich. And some folks in the know will tell you that making it pig rich and flooding the cylinders with raw/unburned fuel can hang up a ring and rip off a ring land almost as quickly as if the ring gap is too small.
I believe that this plate kit can be made to work on the Vette lid (it fit perfectly on mine original lid). Of course you would have to use either the Hinson shorter engine mounts or the LPE spacers to gain cowl clearance. But, I think mounting the spray bars in the lid is a better option in any event, for two reasons:
1. If they can place the bosses for the hardlines in the front corners of the lid, instead of at the rear as with the plate, it will move those lines out of the way so that you can still access the two rear bolts;
2. The injector rails can bolt right back up without having to tuck them under the bosses on the lid and drill and through-bolt them, like I did (because I could not figure out how to use the N.O. supplied angle brackets).
Aside from that, you also don’t have to worry about an additional gasket and longer bolts for the plate.
BTW: If you ever want a spare Vette lid and CACs, let me know, and I’ll make you a good deal on mine. I see that you live in the TPA area. My stepdaughter is in university up there and we visit her now and then, so I could always bring it up in my suitcase, lol.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:10 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Sammy, love your work, I thought you said no race car? And Bond UNI is ok on the beautiful Gold Coast.
I guess its just like where you live but much quieter. Keep going, I'm loving it.

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **