C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You owe me a ride when you're done with the install. Repka's should be serving crawfish by then. Hmmm, fast Vette, cold beer, and crawfish. I guess it could get better, but I can't imagine how
Will do. It won't be quite as powerful as yours as I'm not doing a cam, but it will be fun.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodstoc
I like what you did with the intake. I have a Hurricane ram air intake I am going to try and mod to fit my HB when it gets here. YES, I have pulled the trigger, and ordered one. Mags is building mine as we speak, hopefully....if not, they need to get on with it!
Good stuff!
Let us know how you get on. You're doing the install yourself, right?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:46 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You owe me a ride when you're done with the install. Repka's should be serving crawfish by then. Hmmm, fast Vette, cold beer, and crawfish. I guess it could get better, but I can't imagine how
Ah boy...These Texans...
Old 02-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CI GS
Good stuff!
Let us know how you get on. You're doing the install yourself, right?
That's the plan, looks like I can do it in a weekend, then put it in a shop for a day or two for tuning. It may change depending upon my work situation. I may be doing some traveling in the next couple of months that could affect that, really depends on when Maggie gets it to me, and when I'm out. If so, I might have to get it in a shop.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

That's the plan, looks like I can do it in a weekend, then put it in a shop for a day or two for tuning. It may change depending upon my work situation. I may be doing some traveling in the next couple of months that could affect that, really depends on when Maggie gets it to me, and when I'm out. If so, I might have to get it in a shop.
What pulley are you going to start with?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:22 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Cool. I know what you mean. You should be able to do it in a weekend, especially if you get an extra set of hands. I ended up doing everything by myself, so it took me a while. I have lots of good friends around here, just can't find them when I need 'em!
Like Rodney asked, what pulley are you going with? FWIW: If you're going to get it dyno tuned, I would skip the standard 96mm and go straight to the 90mm to start, which is what I'm running for now. That should give you ~7.5 psi, which is a good starting place, IMHO. Maybe you can even go with a smaller pulley, but I'm not sure at what point you would need to change injectors (and/or add meth) which is why I haven't bolted the 81mm on as yet.
The following users liked this post:
old motorhead (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:36 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Cool. I know what you mean. You should be able to do it in a weekend, especially if you get an extra set of hands. I ended up doing everything by myself, so it took me a while. I have lots of good friends around here, just can't find them when I need 'em!
Like Rodney asked, what pulley are you going with? FWIW: If you're going to get it dyno tuned, I would skip the standard 96mm and go straight to the 90mm to start, which is what I'm running for now. That should give you ~7.5 psi, which is a good starting place, IMHO. Maybe you can even go with a smaller pulley, but I'm not sure at what point you would need to change injectors (and/or add meth) which is why I haven't bolted the 81mm on as yet.
When I went to 84mm had to but in B.A.P. After cam install the next year had to put in 65lb injectors. And new tires. And so it goes
Old 02-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I tried the same thing with a Halltech Beehive over a year ago. I just wasn't happy with the fitment and looks though. The HB intake is an odd shape, which means hacking away a lot more of the cover than I'd like.

I decided not to run it at all after I found data showing that Lingenfelter's similar ZR1 intake cover was causing airflow restrictions for guys making decent power. It might be okay with that hole you have in the shroud, Sammy, but it's something to consider.

I almost bought a complete Lingenfelter intake setup. Figured it probably flowed better than the HB intake, and it would be cleaner. But I didn't really want to cut my shroud (possible surging issues, etc.), so I left it as-is.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:31 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I tried the same thing with a Halltech Beehive over a year ago. I just wasn't happy with the fitment and looks though. The HB intake is an odd shape, which means hacking away a lot more of the cover than I'd like.

I decided not to run it at all after I found data showing that Lingenfelter's similar ZR1 intake cover was causing airflow restrictions for guys making decent power. It might be okay with that hole you have in the shroud, Sammy, but it's something to consider.

I almost bought a complete Lingenfelter intake setup. Figured it probably flowed better than the HB intake, and it would be cleaner. But I didn't really want to cut my shroud (possible surging issues, etc.), so I left it as-is.
Andy, are you running meth?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:47 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Streetk14

Thanks Andy. As usual you're offering some astute advice. I also looked at the LPE ZR1 CAI, but figured that since Rodney's testing indicated that the air filter assembly isn't a restriction at his power level, it would be a waste of money for me.
I have no way of knowing what adding does in terms of adding power, because I don't have access to a dyno.
BUT, when I took the intake off the car the other day to scrape those god damned pads out, when I reassembled the intake and drove the car, it was bucking and surging like crazy in 5th and 6th with the converter locked. I did some WOT blasts with the tune that I ran last before I put the BAP on, and it was running around 10.6-10.8 AFR. (NB: I had cut the slots in the shroud from before I put the blower on). I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I pulled the CAI off again, pulled the MAF out, and cleaned it with electrical cleaner, and the. I sandpapered the inside of the CAI with 320 grit sandpaper, as it had a bunch of scores in it from me scraping those pads out. I put it back together, made sure the MAF was seated and sealed properly and that the connector hose was snug on the TB and the inlet and that the clamps were tight, etc. and then I reloaded the same tune back into the car.
But, since it was pissing rain that day, I decided to cut the Beehive and fit it on the car. Then, a day or two later. I took the car out for a spin, and the surging and bucking was gone and the AFR was at ~11.4 again, which is where it was with your 90mm pulley tune. I can't tell you how pleased I was.
I also noticed that the average IATs at cruise are around 2-3 degrees cooler than normal too, and the car feels good.
In fact, this is the first time that I've truly enjoyed driving my car since I put the blower on it, but that's mostly due to the changes in the TCM tune.
So, I can only conclude that the lid works and in fact the car does NOT surge like it did before I put the beehive lid back on, and the car is definitely running better now with it, although I believe that's possibly because the air inlet was leaking air somewhere or the MAF was contaminated or something.

Last edited by CI GS; 02-07-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scottg
Andy, are you running meth?
Yep, he's running an Alky Control meth system, ID850 injectors with the 81mm pulley, IIRC.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

It's coming with the stock 96mm pulley, for the warranty. However, what happens in Texas, stays in Texas.....

I'm thinking of ordering a 84mm pulley, and changing the injectors to the ZR1s. I'm installing the Kenny Bell BAP.

Last edited by Woodstoc; 02-07-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:55 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

It's coming with the stock 96mm pulley, for the warranty. However, what happens in Texas, stays in Texas.....

I'm thinking of ordering a 84mm pulley, and changing the injectors to the ZR1s. I'm installing the Kenny Bell BAP.
Some say you must have right length injectors.

Last edited by scottg; 02-07-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:35 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I think the HBeat comes with the ZR1 injectors. The upgrade from there that everyone seems to favor for injectors is the ID850s. I'm not sure if you can get away with the 84mm without changing injectors. The 84mm should put you around 9.5 to 10psi at peak boost, I think, with the stock 7.5" dia. balancer.
That's the only reason I haven't slapped the 81mm I have on my car, because I think it will need injectors and meth (or race gas). I'm sure that you can run the 90mm and I think probably the 87mm on pump gas, provided that you have the BAP installed.
Trust me, you're still going to have plenty of fun, even with just 7.5-8.5psi.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:56 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

I think the HBeat comes with the ZR1 injectors. The upgrade from there that everyone seems to favor for injectors is the ID850s. I'm not sure if you can get away with the 84mm without changing injectors. The 84mm should put you around 9.5 to 10psi at peak boost, I think, with the stock 7.5" dia. balancer.
That's the only reason I haven't slapped the 81mm I have on my car, because I think it will need injectors and meth (or race gas). I'm sure that you can run the 90mm and I think probably the 87mm on pump gas, provided that you have the BAP installed.
Your right, I have 10 pounds of boost max with 84mm
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

I haven't ordered the pulley yet, was going to do a bit of research first. Sounds like good advice.

So the I have the BAP, ZR1 injectors, ZR1 sensor, Irridium plugs. The HB is being built, the Pulley???? To be decided
Old 02-07-2016, 06:44 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I haven't ordered the pulley yet, was going to do a bit of research first. Sounds like good advice.

So the I have the BAP, ZR1 injectors, ZR1 sensor, Irridium plugs. The HB is being built, the Pulley???? To be decided

You're using the ZR1 Iridium plugs, correct?
And you did get the Racetronix harness, right? That's one thing that I would definitely do. Hell, every C6 owner should install one of those, even if their car is bone stock.

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scottg
Your right, I have 10 pounds of boost max with 84mm
Scotty, are you still running the standard Magnuson kit (ZR1) injectors?
I recall that you used to make around 9# with the 84mm and the stock cam, and that made you 559whp? Were you running the same injectors then?
If so, then I think that Woodstoc should be able to go straight to the 84mm. In any event, who tunes the car will be able to tell if he needs to upgrade the injectors.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Yes, I forgot about that, I have the Racetronix harness, installing that with the BAP. ZR1 Irridium plugs going in as well. The only question is how far I can pulley down with that setup (stock cam).
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Yes, I forgot about that, I have the Racetronix harness, installing that with the BAP. ZR1 Irridium plugs going in as well. The only question is how far I can pulley down with that setup (stock cam).
Cool. You can pulley it down to the smallest upper pulley (81mm) with the stock cam, as there are a couple of folks that have done that already, but they have meth and/or bigger injectors.
Your two limitations are going to be the injectors and octane, as in when do you need to more of either or both.
I think that's going to be somewhere around 8-9psi of boost (with the stock cam).

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **