C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
BTW: I did get to run the car from a standing start through most of 4th the other day, on the "race gas" tune, and the scan looked decent and the car ran flawless and pulls real nice, although the AFR is a bit on the rich side (10.9ish to 11.2ish for most of the run). I was worried that it might be running out of fuel up top, but it looks okay, going by the AFR. I'm still thinking of doing away with the BAP and going with the ECS stage 1 fuel system though.
Need to work on the launch now too, because it will rip the tires up something bad off the line, even just rolling slowly into the throttle. If I can't get it to hook better, I may pull the diff and trans back out at some point and send the converter back to FTI and have it restalled to 3200 rpm (it's a 3600) and put the stock 2.73 diff back in it. (I'm starting to sound ambitious like my friend Carson now!)
Going to pull the valve covers this weekend and check the valvetrain over and then install some Holley valve covers on it.
Happy weekend amigos!
It never stops, it's like an addictive drug. I'm already thinking of doing some more to mine. Have to get a life change done with moving to Ft. Worth first, but then......
Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Okay, just about finished with the Holley valve cover install. Pretty straightforward and much cleaner than the stock covers with the magnuson coil brackets.
Here's the passenger side. The only problem is that I have to find a way to mount the H/X reservoir, because the Holley cover doesn't have the stock mounting bosses for that. I may as well just get a battery relocation kit now and something like the Moroso HX reservoir to install in the battery tray and be done with it.
And now the elite catch can can't work where it was mounted on the drivers side head either, because the new coil location points one of the plug wires right at it...
You're absolutely right woodstoc, it never stops...
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2016, 06:28 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Drivers side:
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You're starting to sound like me

I'm actually thinking about a fuel system now too.. pressure is starting to drop hard at 6K RPM's on mine now

The new valve covers look nice!

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-26-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:32 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Looking good.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:37 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
You're starting to sound like me

I'm actually thinking about a fuel system now too.. pressure is starting to drop hard at 6K RPM's on mine now

The new valve covers look nice!
Oh no! that's not good!
The fuel pressure drop isn't good either!
I think you should do the ECS kit and plumb a secondary line up to the rail like what Louis G did on that other guys car. That's a pretty damn smart way to do it. I'm thinking that if you could get a quick connect T fitting with one leg being a -6 or -8 AN nipple, you could plumb it in right where the fuel line connects to the rail. Either that or plumb the secondary supply into the shader valve test port. That way, you wouldnt even have to cut the rail.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:47 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I really liked how Louis G did that fuel system.. smart/simple way to do it. That guy seems to be pretty sharp. I'll probably copy it some degree..

Mine got down to ~40psi earlier.. I had been driving about an hour and a half at that point and it was fine earlier in the drive, so I'm not sure what is going on. I really hope it isn't a sign the fuel pump is going.. I already place that thing once. If I have to drop the tank again I'm putting bulkhead fittings in and installing regulator/bypass block off plugs..
Old 06-26-2016, 08:48 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Looking good.
Thanks Jody. They look so much better than my crappy spray can crinkled finished stock covers. And they work so well to pull the coils away from the blower, without the need for any brackets. Magnuson should include a set of these in their kit, IMHO.
BTW: You know you were the one who made me decide to buy these right?
On that note, I also picked up a set of Hinson engine and trans mounts the other day - the 3/8" shorter ones and wanted to ask you if it's possible to change the trans mounts without dropping the cradle?
I'm planning to install those to give me more clearance at the cowl and then get a high rise hood and then throw the taller Camaro lid and CICs on the Vette. They are much larger and the Camaro guys seem to be making way more power than the Vettes with these blowers.
I'll probably get someone to plumb some spray bars in it too, for some extra "cooling". Then I may do the Southways 108mm inlet setup, if I can ever get Magnuson to bother to answer an email. I think I'm going to test the limits of this blower and we what happens...
Like Woodstoc said, it's addictive, but WTF, you only live once.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:10 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jody. They look so much better than my crappy spray can crinkled finished stock covers. And they work so well to pull the coils away from the blower, without the need for any brackets. Magnuson should include a set of these in their kit, IMHO.
BTW: You know you were the one who made me decide to buy these right?
On that note, I also picked up a set of Hinson engine and trans mounts the other day - the 3/8" shorter ones and wanted to ask you if it's possible to change the trans mounts without dropping the cradle?
I'm planning to install those to give me more clearance at the cowl and then get a high rise hood and then throw the taller Camaro lid and CICs on the Vette. They are much larger and the Camaro guys seem to be making way more power than the Vettes with these blowers.
I'll probably get someone to plumb some spray bars in it too, for some extra "cooling". Then I may do the Southways 108mm inlet setup, if I can ever get Magnuson to bother to answer an email. I think I'm going to test the limits of this blower and we what happens...
Like Woodstoc said, it's addictive, but WTF, you only live once.
Holy crap man, I look forward to documentation on the bigger lid/CIC setup for sure.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by iced98lx
Holy crap man, I look forward to documentation on the bigger lid/CIC setup for sure.
Lol! First I'm going to do a larger Moroso reservoir, like in the picture below and change the HX pump to the ZL1 pump and fill the system with just distilled water and water wetter and see what that does for IAT's.
The larger reservoir will also allow me to drop some ice in the system (I'm thinking of using a couple of those gel chiller pads, actually ) whenever I race the car.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

BTW: The other thing that I've been wondering is, has anyone ever tested a BAP on their HX pump? I'm sure one of those crazy ZR1 guys has tried that already.

I'm thinking that when I do the ECS stage 1 fuel system, well, I'll have no other use for the BAP, so, WTH not?

Last edited by CI GS; 06-29-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:27 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

BTW: I got the elite can installed again on the driver's side cylinder head. Don't really like how it's located so close to the alternator though, so I'm going to cut the spacer and use a shorter bolt to pull it closer to the engine.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

BAP on the coolant pump?

Only you Sammy

Just kidding--someone has probably tried it honestly.. perhaps not on this forum though

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-29-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

BTW: I got the elite can installed again on the driver's side cylinder head. Don't really like how it's located so close to the alternator though, so I'm going to cut the spacer and use a shorter bolt to pull it closer to the engine.
Personally don't like the idea of the catch can right over the header.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Personally don't like the idea of the catch can right over the header.
I thought about that, but then figured, well wth, the valve covers are over the headers, and they leak sometimes. I'm not too concerned about it, to be honest. Besides, I don't have anywhere else to put it.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:35 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
BAP on the coolant pump?

Only you Sammy

Just kidding--someone has probably tried it honestly.. perhaps not on this forum though
Lol. Must be your influence, eh?
I keep hearing that the HX pumps are ***** on pressure and volume, so my simple mind went wondering again...
Old 06-29-2016, 11:38 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I thought about that, but then figured, well wth, the valve covers are over the headers, and they leak sometimes. I'm not too concerned about it, to be honest. Besides, I don't have anywhere else to put it.
Valve cover leaks seep down the block generally. Odds are against any issues, but oil dripping directly on a hot header can lead to something ugly happening.

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 06-29-2016, 03:29 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol! First I'm going to do a larger Moroso reservoir, like in the picture below and change the HX pump to the ZL1 pump and fill the system with just distilled water and water wetter and see what that does for IAT's.
The larger reservoir will also allow me to drop some ice in the system (I'm thinking of using a couple of those gel chiller pads, actually ) whenever I race the car.
I mean, might as well plumb some lines so you can add an ice box with a pump in the back. More volume==win right??
Old 06-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Sammy my Brother, I was thinking just that the other day! Hell, it's just a basic electric motor. Make it independently switchable. Maybe even a 2-speed set-up...

Sammy and other HB fella's (or men, LOL [I know Sammy loves the HB name, LOL]), what are your guys IAT's running?

Mine (90mm pulley) run 14-20*F above ambient when any air is flowing >20 MPH, and go up instantly 4-10*F higher with WOT. Can hardly run a complete 3rd (M6), and little to not much 4th as that's jail time here in the Bay Area.

Sammy, with your fab skills, I'd seriously check out the other pump that out performs the ZL1 pump...little amp increase, but mo flo across the entire curve, and must improvements with higher back pressure...

PS Nice job on the valve covers, and everything else. Keep it up!

BTW: The other thing that I've been wondering is, has anyone ever tested a BAP on their HX pump? I'm sure one of those crazy ZR1 guys has tried that already.

I'm thinking that when I do the ECS stage 1 fuel system, well, I'll have no other use for the BAP, so, WTH not?

Last edited by Chiselchst; 06-29-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:19 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Sammy my Brother, I was thinking just that the other day! Hell, it's just a basic electric motor. Make it independently switchable. Maybe even a 2-speed set-up...

Sammy and other HB fella's (or men, LOL [I know Sammy loves the HB name, LOL]), what are your guys IAT's running?

Mine (90mm pulley) run 14-20*F above ambient when any air is flowing >20 MPH, and go up instantly 4-10*F higher with WOT. Can hardly run a complete 3rd (M6), and little to not much 4th as that's jail time here in the Bay Area.

Sammy, with your fab skills, I'd seriously check out the other pump that out performs the ZL1 pump...little amp increase, but mo flo across the entire curve, and must improvements with higher back pressure...

PS Nice job on the valve covers, and everything else. Keep it up!
Hey Mitch. Thanks.
Actually, I was thinking of using the Hobbs switch on the BAP just like you would on the fuel pump, so that at idle the HX pump is only running at 12 volts. if the pump motor can take it, it should help the system move more water, I would think?
BTW: When I first put the blower on, I used only distilled water and water wetter in the HX system, and it seemed to work good. When I did the cam change, I refilled it with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Dexcool.
I'm going back to the WW and water to see if that will help.
FYI: When I was running @~8.5 psi before with the 90mm, 7.5" balancer and the stock cam, IAT's were peaking at ~124* IIRC, on a run all the way through 4th.
Now it peaks at ~142* with the 81mm, 8" balancer @ 12 psi.
The weather is also a bit hotter now too, than earlier in the year (~92* vs. ~84* on average) when I was testing it before the cam change.
All in all, the IAT's aren't astronomical, but I want to get them as low as possible.

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **