C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best supercharger for c6 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts
Default best supercharger for c6 base

I am interested in putting a supercharger into my base C6. I have a SLP CAI and Cora catback exhaust. Can anyone recommend the best supercharger for this car? Most hp gain and price. I read a lot about "ProCharger" and some guys are saying the Edelbrock retains its value but I do not know. Help is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Oh lawd. This gets asked quite often

Personally I like the ECS kits and that is what I would go with (and intend to at some point)
Old 08-09-2014, 01:26 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Oh lawd. This gets asked quite often

Personally I like the ECS kits and that is what I would go with (and intend to at some point)
Thanks I will look into them.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:27 PM
shftn7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
I am interested in putting a supercharger into my base C6. I have a SLP CAI and Cora catback exhaust. Can anyone recommend the best supercharger for this car? Most hp gain and price. I read a lot about "ProCharger" and some guys are saying the Edelbrock retains its value but I do not know. Help is appreciated.
Are you planning on doing anything else in the future? Make sure to plan the build in case of any planned changes in the future. ECS & Procharger are both good products.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
OK, first of all, your CAI goes into the parts for sale thread if you want to install a Hot Air Intake.

There are two main types of blowers, positive displacement (PD), like on the ZR-1 and aftermarket Edelbrocks and Magnusons, and centrifugal (centri), like a turbo but uses a belt instead of exhaust gases, Vortech units like ProCharger and A&A. There are pros and cons to both, and endless threads here debating it.

Short version, PD is more instant-on torque, while centri's come on later but scale linearly to infinity as RPM rise (I exaggerate, lest some smart alek come in and correct me). PD is more subject to heat soak, since it has integrated intercooler bricks. Not so much an issue for street cars, but it is at the strip.

It would be helpful if you stated your typical use of the car and your goals.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Ecs. Especially if you plan to DIY.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM
VetteAwe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my A & A V-2 si. 5 years and 65,000 miles since install and still running strong with no issues. Whichever you choose, the most important decision will be the right shop to install and tune if you are not DIY.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

ECS. I've messed with just about all of them. ECS is the only way I would go for my own car.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:21 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the A&A s/c kit. I have the V3-TI. A&A has a sticky on top of this section. Others may disagree, but I suggest spending the few extra hundred to upgrade to the V3-TI when you go with the kit. It is a lot cheaper to do upfront than later.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
OK, first of all, your CAI goes into the parts for sale thread if you want to install a Hot Air Intake.

There are two main types of blowers, positive displacement (PD), like on the ZR-1 and aftermarket Edelbrocks and Magnusons, and centrifugal (centri), like a turbo but uses a belt instead of exhaust gases, Vortech units like ProCharger and A&A. There are pros and cons to both, and endless threads here debating it.

Short version, PD is more instant-on torque, while centri's come on later but scale linearly to infinity as RPM rise (I exaggerate, lest some smart alek come in and correct me). PD is more subject to heat soak, since it has integrated intercooler bricks. Not so much an issue for street cars, but it is at the strip.

It would be helpful if you stated your typical use of the car and your goals.
Daily driver with 2-3 track days per year. Just want more power for the street on a daily basis.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

My ProCharger has been on for 10 years and I love it.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM
under_psi
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an a&a (vortech) Ti kit. Love it. In the past I would argue it was superior to ecs kits, but that is just my personal opinion. Endless debate and not worth going into again. First, find a trusted local shop. Go with whichever kit they are more familiar with, ECS or A&A. cant go wrong with either kit.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:34 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 959 Posts

Drive, or at least ride, in a centri and p/d car. Different strokes for different folks. What YOU like is what matters. It's your money. You're the only one matters when you're spending your money. ANY type of positive manifold pressure is better than n/a. That's not really arguable
Old 08-10-2014, 08:00 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ECS or A&A if you actually want to make power and go fast….

If shredding your tires at every stoplight and diesel like torque off idle is your thing, buy a PD heat pump...
Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Where are you located?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm a fan of centrifugal superchargers, the way they make linear power up to redline like a great breathing race engine. They also heat soak less then roots types chargers.
Many prefer the roots/twin screws for their immediate huge tq hit. Different stokes for different folks is all.
I went with a Vortech T-trim centri about 3 years ago and love it.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:03 PM
chaver450
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by breecher_7
ECS or A&A if you actually want to make power and go fast….

If shredding your tires at every stoplight and diesel like torque off idle is your thing, buy a PD heat pump...
This sounds like fun! If I could do it again, I'd get the "heat pump".

For the record, I went with the A&A kit, T trim with 3.6" pulley and Meth. 592 at the wheels in Phoenix, in the summer... Not too shabby and very fast. Don't get me wrong, I love my "linear" pull to redline but would rather get a big hit low...just my opinion.

Bottom line though, either way you go, you'll dig it!
The following users liked this post:
Bradu (11-23-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To best supercharger for c6 base

Old 08-10-2014, 06:31 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by chaver450
This sounds like fun! If I could do it again, I'd get the "heat pump".

For the record, I went with the A&A kit, T trim with 3.6" pulley and Meth. 592 at the wheels in Phoenix, in the summer... Not too shabby and very fast. Don't get me wrong, I love my "linear" pull to redline but would rather get a big hit low...just my opinion.

Bottom line though, either way you go, you'll dig it!
Whoa there scooter. You must have a screw (or two) loose somewhere. NO one EVER goes roots once they've had a centrifugal blower.

I have a few screws loose too. I wouldn't use a centri blower for street level power under any circumstances. Chevrolet wouldn't either. Dodge wouldn't. Ford wouldn't. Jaguar wouldn't. Porsche wouldn't. BMW wouldn't. Many others wouldn't.

BUT....breecher would. He's a legend in his own mind though
Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Great, this is descending into yet another dumb argument about PD vs centri, when I tried to reasonably and fairly lay out the differences between them for OP.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Where are you located?
Orange county new York. Hudson Valley.

Quick Reply: best supercharger for c6 base