C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Might want to get one of these. Might take a little trial and error to set it up at different locations in the cabin, like under the dash, rear trunk area, console, etc.. to see when it goes off first

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Combustible...-/253027203537

EDIT:
Lost quite a few brain cells myself in college back in the 80s
And from this moment henceforth, Phil of New Jersey shall be dubbed, “Inspector Gadget!”

It’s probably a good thing that you and Carson have lost some brain cells. Otherwise you guys would be really annoyingly smart. Like that Unreal guy.
BTW: I lose brain cells all the time. Nothing to it really. And I can still manage to tie my shoelaces whilst having a conversion, most mornings...
Old 04-03-2018, 11:10 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

QUOTE: Yeah the traveling will be nice. Got a trip to San Diego, Chicago, Orlando, NC beach then Europe planned between now and early June so it's going to be busy. Should be fun though. Most of them are extra days tacked on to the end of work trips so that makes it cheap to do.

Glad to hear that you’re getting out a bit man. That’s a pretty damn busy schedule!
Safe travels.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default So this means.....

Originally Posted by CI GS
QUOTE: Yeah the traveling will be nice. Got a trip to San Diego, Chicago, Orlando, NC beach then Europe planned between now and early June so it's going to be busy. Should be fun though. Most of them are extra days tacked on to the end of work trips so that makes it cheap to do.

Glad to hear that you’re getting out a bit man. That’s a pretty damn busy schedule!
Safe travels.
So this means..... My Grand Caman Tuning/Vacation will have to wait till after June????

Actually, I think I would appreciate it a lot more if it was winter anyways.....

We'll talk soon.
Chuck CoW
Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm the one traveling, not him

But the winter does sound like a better time to get down there
Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Just noticed that....

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'm the one traveling, not him

But the winter does sound like a better time to get down there
Just noticed that.... The "quote" did not happen properly in the post. my mistake.....

I'm supposed to go to Italy for tuning this weekend.... and my passport is expired... Wah whah.... wah...

This weather sucks.... Tuning an LS7 A6 Jeep in the Italian Mountains... would be nicer.....

Chuck CoW
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Yeah, “winter” is a better time to be down here, although we don’t really do winter down here.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Hey Sammy--saw that you tried to PM me. I'm no longer a premium member or whatever so I have like 2,000 messages to delete to get it back to where I can receive new ones again

Shoot me an email if you don't mind...
Old 04-04-2018, 10:54 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey Sammy--saw that you tried to PM me. I'm no longer a premium member or whatever so I have like 2,000 messages to delete to get it back to where I can receive new ones again

Shoot me an email if you don't mind...
Lol. Okay. Will do.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

The thread passed 200K views at some point!

I'm breaking out the wrenches again this weekend.. long tubes are going to have to go in the closet for a bit. I have stopped driving this car altogether because of the smell, so I'm looking forward to going back to LS7 manifolds/cats for now and driving it more.

I don't look forward to the power reduction, it was a noticeable increase when I put them on.. but I guess that is what it is for the time being. I can always switch back to them later if I figure out why it stinks.

On another note--are there any 1/2 mile events in the NC/SC/GA area this year? I haven't heard of any from wannagofast. Is Vengeance doing their own now? I would have liked to have gone but didn't realize wannagofast wasn't doing one until the last few days

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-01-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Put Z06 stuff back on today. It's so quiet now. Also feels slow, so that kind of sucks. But I can drive it anywhere and not get lightheaded, so there's that

Not a lot of pics but took a few

Need to work on tune some, it's a bit rich at WOT, hopefully it will feel a little faster after I lean it out some

Old 05-05-2018, 04:18 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Put Z06 stuff back on today. It's so quiet now. Also feels slow, so that kind of sucks. But I can drive it anywhere and not get lightheaded, so there's that

Not a lot of pics but took a few

Need to work on tune some, it's a bit rich at WOT, hopefully it will feel a little faster after I lean it out some

That is so strange to get that smell and stock you don't. Would of been nice to track it down.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, I dunno, and it wasn't even a gas smell, it was just exhaust.. which was probably even worse. I might spend some time on figuring it out one day, but just wanted to be able to drive it again
Old 05-06-2018, 02:02 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey Carson. Good to see that this monster thread is still going, and that youre still at it!
Its a shame that you have that gas smell. Maybe just get some high flo cats and weld those into the x-pipe on the LT exhaust?
I have so say though, that even with me messing around with the tune on my car, I still dont have that problem. Maybe its the ID 850s, or your help with the idle tuning, but I wouldnt even think of putting cats back on mine, simple because there really is on stinky overrich exhaust smell.
My truck, on the other hand, stinks like a refinery, even though it has a milder cam. Maybe you should experiment a bit with injection timing, if you havent already. Then post up your findings, so we can learn some more from you.

Last edited by CI GS; 07-17-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:09 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Hey Sammy

Yeah I don't know why this one has been so weird. Everything else I've tuned, cats or not, hasn't been like this. Some of them stink outside but don't smell in the cabin. I've played with injection timing quite a bit and have gotten rid of the "fuel" smell, but it still smells like exhaust in the cabin. I think I'd almost prefer the gas smell to that.. not to mention my head going numb, which can't be great for my already limited brain cells

Ah well. Long term I may go that route and have some decent cats welded in. The long tubes I bought were from Vararam (I guess they just sold a few sets for cheap and stopped?) but who the hell knows what they were supposed to fit. They were 3" all the way back but they looked like they were meant to line up with factory 2.5" exhaust. I was running 3" Z06 axle back so I ended up having an exhaust shop get the two to connect. My best guess is that's where the problem is. I bet it's leaking between at the connection to the axle back. I'll inspect it a bit closer later but I would think I would be able to see where it was leaking.

We shall see. For now I'm just going to try driving it for a bit. Really not liking less power and it doesn't sound nearly as good, but I've put a good 300 miles on it this weekend, so there's that at least..
Old 05-08-2018, 01:17 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey Sammy

Yeah I don't know why this one has been so weird. Everything else I've tuned, cats or not, hasn't been like this. Some of them stink outside but don't smell in the cabin. I've played with injection timing quite a bit and have gotten rid of the "fuel" smell, but it still smells like exhaust in the cabin. I think I'd almost prefer the gas smell to that.. not to mention my head going numb, which can't be great for my already limited brain cells

Ah well. Long term I may go that route and have some decent cats welded in. The long tubes I bought were from Vararam (I guess they just sold a few sets for cheap and stopped?) but who the hell knows what they were supposed to fit. They were 3" all the way back but they looked like they were meant to line up with factory 2.5" exhaust. I was running 3" Z06 axle back so I ended up having an exhaust shop get the two to connect. My best guess is that's where the problem is. I bet it's leaking between at the connection to the axle back. I'll inspect it a bit closer later but I would think I would be able to see where it was leaking.

We shall see. For now I'm just going to try driving it for a bit. Really not liking less power and it doesn't sound nearly as good, but I've put a good 300 miles on it this weekend, so there's that at least..
I remember that you had to do some work to get them to fit the Z06 mufflers. Yeah, that really is strange. I’m sure you will see if it was leaking. I would also check the welds/header flange and see if it wasn’t leaking exhaust gas somehow and the A/C picked it up? It really doesn’t take much exhaust gas inside the car to make you feel woozy.
Good to hear that you’ve got it back in the road though.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

empty your inbox@
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Send it via email, I have like 5K messages and a 100 message limit now lol

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Old 07-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I've worked in a refinery for close to 4 decades, and you might be super sensitive to certain fumes. Some folks I work with have became very sensitive to fumes, hydrocarbons, benzene, aromatics, take your pick.
During a shut down, we'll have many diesel light towers around the plant, and some have became super sensitive to that exhaust. Others have became super sensitive to PPM and even PPB amounts of hydrocarbons or specific components. IMO, once they build up a sensitivity to such, I've personally never one reverse and it go away...limited experience granted.

I'm curious about the (monster?) converter Sammy mentioned...dome?

I just got an idea (scary thought) - how about a cat converter with a bypass, based on boost? Doubt there's enough room in our cars, but that would handle idling & cruising...

ETA; congrats on this thread and the views. The index is cool, thanks for that...

Yeah, I dunno, and it wasn't even a gas smell, it was just exhaust.. which was probably even worse. I might spend some time on figuring it out one day, but just wanted to be able to drive it again

Last edited by Chiselchst; 07-17-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:42 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Makes sense. I've never had anyone else in the car mention the smell, so maybe it really is just me.. it makes my head feel like it's buzzing though, so it's pretty miserable. I keep thinking there has to be a leak somewhere for it to be getting in but it's not like cars are air tight.

There are def cats that will hold up to this level of power (within reason.. I don't think they'd take back to back 1 mile pulls or anything..) but it turns into a custom setup for sure so I doubt there's enough space to make much like that work.

I thought about trying some of those kooks green cats or whatever they're called that are supposed to hold up to FI applications but just don't feel like spending the money. I'll probably put the long tubes back on at some point and spend some time actually figuring out if they're actually leaking or not.

Somewhere along the way I tried back to back Z06 setup w/gutted cats and Z06 setup with regular cats and the smell was def there with the gutted cats. I could sometimes manage to keep the HVAC on recirculate the whole time and not stop and manage to not be totally miserable, but otherwise it just plain stunk to drive it.

Oh well. I have a lot more traction now at least?

No problem on the index. It's been pretty useful for me too when trying to find old projects or pictures
Old 07-17-2018, 02:54 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Makes sense. I've never had anyone else in the car mention the smell, so maybe it really is just me.. it makes my head feel like it's buzzing though, so it's pretty miserable. I keep thinking there has to be a leak somewhere for it to be getting in but it's not like cars are air tight.

There are def cats that will hold up to this level of power (within reason.. I don't think they'd take back to back 1 mile pulls or anything..) but it turns into a custom setup for sure so I doubt there's enough space to make much like that work.

I thought about trying some of those kooks green cats or whatever they're called that are supposed to hold up to FI applications but just don't feel like spending the money. I'll probably put the long tubes back on at some point and spend some time actually figuring out if they're actually leaking or not.

Somewhere along the way I tried back to back Z06 setup w/gutted cats and Z06 setup with regular cats and the smell was def there with the gutted cats. I could sometimes manage to keep the HVAC on recirculate the whole time and not stop and manage to not be totally miserable, but otherwise it just plain stunk to drive it.

Oh well. I have a lot more traction now at least?

No problem on the index. It's been pretty useful for me too when trying to find old projects or pictures
Its probably all those years of meth use...
You must’ve had a header leak and it was sucking exhaust gas into the cabin.
Those Kooks green cats are expensive. No wonder they call them “green”.
My 2” Kooks and ORX just arrived by air freight. Literally, just now, my people inside of customs just sent me a photo of the boxes being offloaded. That’s the benefit of living on a small rock I guess.
BTW: I’ll have a set of Pfadt headers I could send for you to test, but they would definitely have a leak or two after your friend in US Customs takes his drill to them too.

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)