C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who installed thier own supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:34 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Default who installed thier own supercharger?

just looking to see who installed their own supercharger? level of difficulty? how good of a mechanic do you consider yourself?

I am having little luck with getting a fair install price on a used a&a v2 ti-trim blower with meth kit. seems the install prices are excessively higher as I didn't purchase it from them. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have a good friend who is a very good mechanic on high end cars. I am considering doing this install myself (with help) to save me some (rake me over the coals $). i then can just get it tuned where i see fit....thanks for your comments.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Not complicated at all. Take your time and go step by step with the instruction manual. If your buddy knows mechanics, you shouldn't have any problems. Removing the damper and pinning the crank is the biggest pain, but not difficult, just time consuming.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:51 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Check out my thread "finally did it ECS/FSP" and you'll see my experience in detail.

It is not a super hard install. By far the hardest part is pinning the crank. It goes pretty quick after that

I had some issues come up along the way, so I would consider my experience to be a worst case of what you could expect. Mine is a high mileage car that had a balancer that was already about to fall apart.. adding a supercharger just made it fall apart faster (as in about 5 minutes ). If I had replaced it from the get go I would have been a lot better off.

I consider myself a good mechanic. Probably 7 or 8/10 where 10/10 is a pro GM mechanic. I'm slower than those guys are, but I can do most of what they can, even without a lift.

I'd say go for it.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Check out my thread "finally did it ECS/FSP" and you'll see my experience in detail.

It is not a super hard install. By far the hardest part is pinning the crank. It goes pretty quick after that

I had some issues come up along the way, so I would consider my experience to be a worst case of what you could expect. Mine is a high mileage car that had a balancer that was already about to fall apart.. adding a supercharger just made it fall apart faster (as in about 5 minutes ). If I had replaced it from the get go I would have been a lot better off.

I consider myself a good mechanic. Probably 7 or 8/10 where 10/10 is a pro GM mechanic. I'm slower than those guys are, but I can do most of what they can, even without a lift.

I'd say go for it.
nice. this is an oil fed unit so the oil pan probably needs to come off to make sure no metal shavings get in there. will take a bit more effort but....can pin the crank once we lower the cradle. should i replace my harmonic balancer to be safe you think? 05 ls2 with 25k miles on it?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
nice. this is an oil fed unit so the oil pan probably needs to come off to make sure no metal shavings get in there. will take a bit more effort but....can pin the crank once we lower the cradle. should i replace my harmonic balancer to be safe you think? 05 ls2 with 25k miles on it?
I would ask A&A how they do the oil lines.. I don't think there's really a need to remove the oil pan, but up to you.

The balancer question has two sides.. if you do replace the balancer you do end up having to remove the steering rack. Otherwise there isn't enough space to remove the balancer. This is a royal pain to do. If you don't replace the balancer you can away with just lowering the front cradle a little bit and raising the engine a little bit and it'll get you enough space to pin the crank.

I guess the short answer you'll probably be fine with the stock one, but I would probably replace it anyways. Instead of fully removing the steering rack, some guys have been able to disconnect it then shove it over to the passenger side wheel well which got it out of the way enough to replace the balancer. Otherwise it comes out of the driver side wheel well and has to go past all of the ABS / brake lines, which is not much fun. It's def. easier to pin the crank with the rack out completely, so that's a positive at least.

Summit and Trick Flow make one that is < $200 and better than the factory unit. That's what I ended up using and is what I would recommend. In one of the A&A Q&A threads Josh mentioned the part number. I believe it's this one for the summit version:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-c2501

Trick Flow has the same one in black but I'm not sure of the part number off hand
Old 03-10-2015, 05:15 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I would ask A&A how they do the oil lines.. I don't think there's really a need to remove the oil pan, but up to you.

The balancer question has two sides.. if you do replace the balancer you do end up having to remove the steering rack. Otherwise there isn't enough space to remove the balancer. This is a royal pain to do. If you don't replace the balancer you can away with just lowering the front cradle a little bit and raising the engine a little bit and it'll get you enough space to pin the crank.

I guess the short answer you'll probably be fine with the stock one, but I would probably replace it anyways. Instead of fully removing the steering rack, some guys have been able to disconnect it then shove it over to the passenger side wheel well which got it out of the way enough to replace the balancer. Otherwise it comes out of the driver side wheel well and has to go past all of the ABS / brake lines, which is not much fun. It's def. easier to pin the crank with the rack out completely, so that's a positive at least.

Summit and Trick Flow make one that is < $200 and better than the factory unit. That's what I ended up using and is what I would recommend. In one of the A&A Q&A threads Josh mentioned the part number. I believe it's this one for the summit version:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-c2501

Trick Flow has the same one in black but I'm not sure of the part number off hand
I've heard that you can use vaseline when tapping the oil pan to help catch the shavings and then could just run some cheap oil through he car with a magnetic drain plug to have some added insurance
Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I installed my ProCharger, solo. It took about 5 days of evening work. It really was an easy project.
I consider myself to have above average wrenching skills, but nothing with the install ever challenged me.

Easy greasy.

Take your time, be detailed oriented, and don't rush. If you get to a point you start rushing.... stop and have a beer.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:21 PM
SPIN20
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It's worth doing the balancer, mine crapped out on me at 19k miles on my 2005 and I was bone stock. The last thing you want to do is install the kit just to rip it out again cause your balancer went out.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:04 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

it isn't very hard assuming no parts are missing or wrong altogether... not knowing that something is missing on incorrect can have you running in circles
Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

thanks for the info...here we go!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I am an average mechanic and the blower install was cake.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I drilled the pan with it on the car. Get the rotobrach drill bit from A&A , or elsewhere. This bit (and some grease or vasoline) makes a clean hole and keeps the shavings on the outside.

Then you can just tap the hole for the fitting.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

If any shavings made it into the pan, it would then have to pass through the oil filter to return to the engine right? So would you feel confident that the oil filter would catch the shavings? I have no problems doing a couple oil changes back to back to ensure its clean...
Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

If any shavings made it into the pan, it would then have to pass through the oil filter to return to the engine right? So would you feel confident that the oil filter would catch the shavings? I have no problems doing a couple oil changes back to back to ensure its clean...
Yes, oil filter would catch them before they got to the engine. You could also take the drain plug out and dump some oil through the new hole to flush out any flakes, if there are any

Filter should catch them regardless IMO (if there even are any)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Yes, oil filter would catch them before they got to the engine. You could also take the drain plug out and dump some oil through the new hole to flush out any flakes, if there are any

Filter should catch them regardless IMO (if there even are any)
I'm thinking the same now. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I did my own install and while not completely easy, I won't sit here and be like it's a piece of cake. The cam install was harder, but this is less complicated and anyone with some mechanical skill can tackle it. Just take your time and make sure you read and understand the instructions before you start the project. Also, make sure you have all the tools so later on it doesn't become frustrating trying to find them or stopping to go purchase or rent them.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine myself. I consider myself a mediocre mechanic, but if the instructions are clear I dont have any problems. Like others said, pinning the crank was hardest part. definitely try the "engine raise/cradle lowered" method first. I would of saved about 2 hours trying that from the get go... Also, make sure your trimming of the radiator and shroud is done well. If this isnt done right the blower will be hard to get lined up. to get bolts and also get the air intake on. I also think spreading over the work over a few days is ideal, it seemed things went together and comprehension on the instructions was more clear at the start of each work day..

Get notified of new replies

To who installed thier own supercharger?

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, at the end of it it was extremely satifying knowing that I did it myself.. that whole "built not bought" thing ya know..
Old 03-11-2015, 03:06 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I appreciate all the info, moving forward with it hopefully next week. Just a toy so....if it takes a month then....no biggie
Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SPIN20
It's worth doing the balancer, mine crapped out on me at 19k miles on my 2005 and I was bone stock. The last thing you want to do is install the kit just to rip it out again cause your balancer went out.
How many have replaced the stock balancer when doing the supercharger install? I looked at the ati super damper. ....nice, but pricey. Is it really needed or will stock do?

Quick Reply: who installed thier own supercharger?