C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler or Core for 1000+rwhp turbo 427?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 PM
under_psi
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Intercooler or Core for 1000+rwhp turbo 427?

What you guys using, and what are your results. Open to core only to be built. Pro charger new IC is massive...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 PM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a custom Bell setup on mine. Very similar in specs to the new Procharger.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My 3.5x8x17 ECS made 1200rwhp no issues. Upgrading to a 4.5x12x19 or so bell core. Could go way bigger but want radiator flow and a huge air filter so not going bigger than 19 but could fit a 6x12x26 if I wanted but I think the mid size will perform better overall.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM
under_psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
My 3.5x8x17 ECS made 1200rwhp no issues. Upgrading to a 4.5x12x19 or so bell core. Could go way bigger but want radiator flow and a huge air filter so not going bigger than 19 but could fit a 6x12x26 if I wanted but I think the mid size will perform better overall.
I sold my old A&A IC which was 3.5x6x25. Looking at those bell pieces now actually. 4.5 would be nice. So you decided to go taller and not as long so as to leave a channel of air for the radiator on one side?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

More so room for air filter. If I go wide since blower inlet goes over radiator and up front, if I went past 19-20" I would be limited a ~6" filter. With the 19-20" wide can drop a huge 12-14" filter right up front that you will see through the grill. Sucking in cool air and more filter IMO will help more than a wide FMIC.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 PM
under_psi
Burning Brakes

More so room for air filter. If I go wide since blower inlet goes over radiator and up front, if I went past 19-20" I would be limited a ~6" filter. With the 19-20" wide can drop a huge 12-14" filter right up front that you will see through the grill. Sucking in cool air and more filter IMO will help more than a wide FMIC.

Gotcha. Well in my case the filter is not a factor as I ditched the blower entirely in favor of Twin rear mount 66s.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:18 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by under_psi
What you guys using, and what are your results. Open to core only to be built. Pro charger new IC is massive...
It is large, but it fits well, and is now proven to over 1,500HP

Lot of time went into that core design, to work with the nose of the C6, and the high CFM loads it was going to see.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Pro charger Big *** FMIC.. so far we have pushed it to 1460 rwhp Boost only with out REALLY leaning on the car.. i wish i could get an f1x-12 to fit.. then i could really push this fmic
Old 03-25-2015, 04:56 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
Pro charger Big *** FMIC.. so far we have pushed it to 1460 rwhp Boost only with out REALLY leaning on the car.. i wish i could get an f1x-12 to fit.. then i could really push this fmic
You can, since a C5 already has. Gear drive bro.... gear drive.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
You can, since a C5 already has. Gear drive bro.... gear drive.
have you ever lived in TX? no way am i pulling my AC out of my STREET CAR
Old 03-26-2015, 12:27 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Well when I first put my TT car together I used a Treadstone IC and I made 1200rwhp on that one with IAT's still good like 175-180 at the end of a pull Pre Meth injection. When I decided to turn it up a notch I sent it to Bell and had them make a 4.5" and about and 1.5" wider. Thought I'd see some difference in IAT's! I didn't LOL! Can't say anything about the flow as I changed to many things to be a good Comparison. But I still have to give Treadstone a thumbs up cause That's a sub $500 IC vs my $1400 Bell. SOOOoo for the money it just depends on your goals. Whether or not I'd spend the larger amount of money on a bigger name brand IC etc... GL hope that helps you some what.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by inspector12
Well when I first put my TT car together I used a Treadstone IC and I made 1200rwhp on that one with IAT's still good like 175-180 at the end of a pull Pre Meth injection. When I decided to turn it up a notch I sent it to Bell and had them make a 4.5" and about and 1.5" wider. Thought I'd see some difference in IAT's! I didn't LOL! Can't say anything about the flow as I changed to many things to be a good Comparison. But I still have to give Treadstone a thumbs up cause That's a sub $500 IC vs my $1400 Bell. SOOOoo for the money it just depends on your goals. Whether or not I'd spend the larger amount of money on a bigger name brand IC etc... GL hope that helps you some what.
Did you try back the Treadstone IC with all changes you made? maybe there were a difference and you did not notice it due to the "too many changes" you made...I'm saying maybe
Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 AM
FLTMEDIC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you coolant temps and what radiator set up are you running?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:41 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FLTMEDIC
How are you coolant temps and what radiator set up are you running?
Coolant temps right now are moot since it was winter... the real test will be running it around this summer in TX.
that being said i have the Dewitts Radiator and a BIG external oil cooler now so we will see how that goes.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

If I was going all out I would do the garret cores. They are the best in my experience.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Too bad the procharger one is way overpriced... Would be perfect
Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 AM
FLTMEDIC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coolant temps right now are moot since it was winter... the real test will be running it around this summer in TX.
that being said i have the Dewitts Radiator and a BIG external oil cooler now so we will see how that goes.
I understand that,I've been following your build.Im just curious what the temps will be in the summer.I can't deside between the a2a or a2w.But if yours does good in the heat I'll be headed to AMP to get mine done.

Get notified of new replies

To Intercooler or Core for 1000+rwhp turbo 427?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE_SHARK
Did you try back the Treadstone IC with all changes you made? maybe there were a difference and you did not notice it due to the "too many changes" you made...I'm saying maybe
Well if I was trying to really find out how far the Treadstone IC could go or do a real world comparison. I would, but I wasn't changing it just to see etc... I just was saying that up to 1200rwhp it terms of value its a great deal IMO! Not saying that this Bell or another IC wouldn't make more power, but it definitely works good to that point in my experience.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FLTMEDIC
I understand that,I've been following your build.Im just curious what the temps will be in the summer.I can't deside between the a2a or a2w.But if yours does good in the heat I'll be headed to AMP to get mine done.
honestly for me A2W is too race car ish.. it's awesome for the track when you know you can drain the water and dump in bags of ice.. but back to back pulls.. not so much if you dont want to keep draining and refilling.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dude_man
Too bad the procharger one is way overpriced... Would be perfect
Sorry about that. If we sourced our cores and tanks from overseas it would drastically change our pricing. (or even just bought fully assembled ones as some do, then just add tabs to them) But that is not what ProCharger believes in. We are a US company, that supports other US companies.

However there are only a FEW actual US companies that make cores in the kind of quantities we need, and have the ability to make custom sizes. (and I am not just talking HxWxT, but actual flow path changes)

The US built cores are pricy, the light weight sheet metal end tanks are also made here in the US, and obviously we do all the welding right here in house. So from start to finish, including the packaging the ship in and out with, is all USA.

If I was going all out I would do the garret cores. They are the best in my experience.
You would be surprise how many are re-branded.
Same as compressor housings.

Originally Posted by inspector12
Whether or not I'd spend the larger amount of money on a bigger name brand IC etc... GL hope that helps you some what.
Just depends on the project, hp, and flow. "Size" really is a loose term, since there are so many factors that go into it. However sadly the mainstream general public assumes "bigger is better" so thats what drives marketing.

Much like ascetics. People LOVE the look of the side flow intercoolers, however they always hit their choke points sooner due to the lack of cross sectional flow.

End of the day, the RACE unit we make for the C6 is wicked as far as IAT's and flow ability.
We may consider moving the outlet size to 4" to match that of most users tubing at that power level. Time will tell on that one, but it has been mentioned.

Quick Reply: Intercooler or Core for 1000+rwhp turbo 427?