C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IW 10%OD Balancer Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Whats it look like with the AC belt on there? Looks pretty close to right to me, but hard to say for sure
Okay, did a little rednecking and went into my carpentry toolbox and got out my laser level and used it to draw a bead across the balancer, aimed at the matching groove on the AC pulley, and it lines up decently, as far as I can see. What do you guys think? A laser ia a laser right?
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2016, 07:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Tough to get the laser pointed just right like that but the pullies sure do look like they're in alignment just looking at that picture

Hey worst case you can just adjust every other pulley to match your new balancer location
Old 04-05-2016, 07:36 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Tough to get the laser pointed just right like that but the pullies sure do look like they're in alignment just looking at that picture

Hey worst case you can just adjust every other pulley to match your new balancer location

That would be my luck.
I just threw the AC belt back on it. It looks pretty straight to me?
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That sure looks good to me. I'd go with it

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-05-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

To be honest, that pulley looks like it should be on further.. But maybe its just the photos. The pulley gets real close to the cover.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
To be honest, that pulley looks like it should be on further.. But maybe its just the photos. The pulley gets real close to the cover.
That's exactly what I thought too, hence this thread. But, I have used a straightedge and a wide beam laser level and now I have all the accessories on and they look fine, and the installed depth of the key/pin kit looks like it's spot on, so idk what more I can do but run it and see if it throws or chews up the belt?
I can also say that nothing short of a 1" drive impact or a torque multiplier has a chance of turning the installer even 2* more. I had a 3.5' pipe extension on the end of a breaker bar and put my full weight on that, and it wouldn't turn any more, so what ever it is, it's on as far as it will go.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CI GS
Thank you sir!
That's exactly what I was looking for! That's how mine looks right now too. But, I would've thought they would make the pin kit a little tighter against the washer, just to keep it from moving around in there?
Thanks again man. You might have just saved me from further back injury or a wrung-off crank installation tool!
no problem... the spacing threw me off too when I installed mine, I thought it needed to go on more but was bottomed out and when I put my laser on it all of my pulleys were in alignment... maybe the backside of it is machined differently than stock so it gives the appearance that it isn't fully seated... mine slid right on though, I didn't have to fight it with a cheater pipe... from what I remember those pins are pretty long and the space between the pin fixture and flat washer will not be enough for the pins to work their way out and cause the fixture to move around

Quick Reply: IW 10%OD Balancer Install Issues