C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminium drive shaft work couplers or without?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:25 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Aluminium drive shaft with couplers or without?

I talked to RPM about a built rear end and a stout drive shaft. They recommended a drive shaft without couplers. He said it's allot stronger without them. I know there's more vibration but how much?

Last edited by usmcpony; 04-08-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:59 PM
The_Nigel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I talked to RPM about a built rear end and a stout drive shaft. They recommended a drive shaft without couplers. He said it's allot stronger without them. I know there's more vibration but how much?

I have a DSS 3.5" full solid in my A6 car and anytime the converter locks below 1200rpms it has a very loud vibration. So I just tuned it so the converter is never locked around that RPM in any gear.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:33 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Any other issues?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:56 PM
NeedaC6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My concern was the same as yours. I have the 3.5 inch direct DSS aluminum shaft and I've noticed no vibration. My Mantic 9000 triple clutch was installed at the same time.

Last edited by NeedaC6; 04-10-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I am surprised they recommended that. Jeremy told me that I probably wouldn't like the solid shaft, for a regularly driven street car, and automatic. He said it would be rougher on shifts and recommended the DSS with ZR1 couplers, which is what I went with. I guess if more of a track junkie, then you might want to give up a little comfort and smoothness for the added strength. I wasn't willing to do that.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:23 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I am surprised they recommended that. Jeremy told me that I probably wouldn't like the solid shaft, for a regularly driven street car, and automatic. He said it would be rougher on shifts and recommended the DSS with ZR1 couplers, which is what I went with. I guess if more of a track junkie, then you might want to give up a little comfort and smoothness for the added strength. I wasn't willing to do that.
Same thing for me exactly but I have the 3" aluminum dss shaft. Seems like the vibration issue is a mixed bag with some having issues and others nothing. Mine is a 99% street car so I went with couplers but if I was putting slicks on the car etc I'd have gone solid
Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Interesting. My car is 90% street car with a couple trips to the track a year. Should make 1000-1200rwhp. I want it to be as strong as possible while still being streetable. I'm not trying to make this a track car.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Yasei
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most important thing installing a couplerless driveshaft is measuring the propeller shaft runout (both front and back end). I recommend around 0.05-0.07mm max. If more, get both the driveshaft and propeller shafts machined straight and remeasure. Also the propeller shaft centering needs to be perfect. Otherwise you WILL have vibrations. If you don't want to go through this trouble just forget the couplerless driveshafts, you'll most likely end up hating it.

Do NOT trust DSS parts straight out of the box! Been there, done that.

P.S. I have a DSS 3.5" HD for sale, the version that uses couplers. The safe choice.

Last edited by Yasei; 04-28-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

So after ~1000 miles on my couplerless shaft. yes is vibrates. Yes it shakes the car. Yes it can be annoying.

Friend just swapped to one, and has same issue, at idle. Mine does it around 1400rpm.

So be warned, and if that will annoy you don't do a couplerless shaft, or follow the above persons advice.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Yasei
Instructor

Mine vibrated at 1600rpm. Took it out and we machined all parts to the best specs we could, rebuilt the torque tube and remeasured that everything was good. No vibrations anymore and I'm happy. My vibrations were due to skewed aluminium ends in the carbon fibre driveshaft... One more thing was to turn a new front end centering adapter, the one DSS provided didn't fit the front prop shaft.

I would not drive the car long with any excessive vibrations. Something will break eventually...
Old 05-09-2016, 02:57 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I broke my stock ZR1 couplers at 1000-1200whp. Now have 3.5in solid shaft and it is not bad. Only makes some noise/vibration when it starts loping hard or is lugged down real hard. Not as bad as I expected.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Yasei
Mine vibrated at 1600rpm. Took it out and we machined all parts to the best specs we could, rebuilt the torque tube and remeasured that everything was good. No vibrations anymore and I'm happy. My vibrations were due to skewed aluminium ends in the carbon fibre driveshaft... One more thing was to turn a new front end centering adapter, the one DSS provided didn't fit the front prop shaft.

I would not drive the car long with any excessive vibrations. Something will break eventually...
DSS didn't even provide a centering adapter.

Vibe is very very minor at ~1300rpm. Not pulling it apart to deal with, but next time it has to come apart I'll mess with it.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Yasei
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
DSS didn't even provide a centering adapter.
My first one didn't have an adapter either and the OEM plastic adapter had to be turned to fit the driveshaft. The second driveshaft came with an aluminium adapter which didn't fit the prop shaft... Well done!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:21 PM
JetBlack_Z06
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
So after ~1000 miles on my couplerless shaft. yes is vibrates. Yes it shakes the car. Yes it can be annoying.

Friend just swapped to one, and has same issue, at idle. Mine does it around 1400rpm.

So be warned, and if that will annoy you don't do a couplerless shaft, or follow the above persons advice.
With the vibrations, will that damage the motor or transmission over time? I have vibrations at 2k rpm. I have 2 aluminum couplers installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminium drive shaft work couplers or without?

Quick Reply: Aluminium drive shaft work couplers or without?