C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mounted external trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:19 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Rear mounted external trans cooler

Anyone mount an external cooler w/fan around the rear cradle of a C6? If so which one did you use, where/how did you mount it, and how cool is your fluid temp?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I've been wondering if anyone had thought of doing this. I was looking at the possibly of putting it somewhere in the space behind the left rear wheel. I think it's doable and I had pretty much figured out how the lines could be routed to it too. You would pretty much have to reroute the lines from where they leave the transmission case.
You would obviously need one of the trans fluid cooling modules with the fan attached and you would want the most efficient cooler that you can get. The bigger B&M unit would probably be the shot.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds like a neat idea to me
Old 06-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

When I got an auto swap on my C5Z, they put a B&M 70297 on the back. It's bolted to the cradle and just fits between the exhaust pipes. It worked ok, but the trans temps were always over 200 degrees even with the fan. I wanted more cooling, so I eventually added a front mount in series as well.

Name:  exhaust_mod.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  TMSdynoday.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  139.3 KB

Name:  trans_cooler.jpg
Views: 6954
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  trans_top.jpg
Views: 3940
Size:  151.0 KB
Old 06-26-2016, 01:46 AM
JKTURBOTA
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my car back from LSXPERTS. We ended up doing a twin trans coolers in place of fog lights. Works great
Attached Images    
The following 2 users liked this post by JKTURBOTA:
m60gov20 (09-19-2022), tektrans (03-16-2023)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JKTURBOTA
Just got my car back from LSXPERTS. We ended up doing a twin trans coolers in place of fog lights. Works great
Nice looking ride you have there!
Looks just like what I want to do with my car.
Which hood is that? Siebon? Did you wrap the roof?
The twin cooler up front should work real nice.
What temps do you normally see and what kind of mods, stall converter, do you have?
Old 06-26-2016, 06:04 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
When I got an auto swap on my C5Z, they put a B&M 70297 on the back. It's bolted to the cradle and just fits between the exhaust pipes. It worked ok, but the trans temps were always over 200 degrees even with the fan. I wanted more cooling, so I eventually added a front mount in series as well.

That's a neat looking setup. It probably just can't get enough cool air through the cooler back there, because the diff sits right in front of it, and it's close to the exhaust as well, which no doubt radiates heat to the cooler, especially in stop and go city driving. Getting a good supply of cool air through the cooler is going to be the biggest challenge with any rear mounted setup.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:33 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

One B&M with a fan up front keeps trans plenty cool. Haven't heard of great success putting them in the back.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:26 AM
JKTURBOTA
Advanced

Originally Posted by CI GS
Nice looking ride you have there!
Looks just like what I want to do with my car.
Which hood is that? Siebon? Did you wrap the roof?
The twin cooler up front should work real nice.
What temps do you normally see and what kind of mods, stall converter, do you have?

Thanks man! the roof is glass and I had the Halo painted gloss black. Hood is a carbon creations hood. not the best looking hood but not bad for the money. I just had a FTI 3600 triple disc installed so wanted to make sure tranny temps stayed cool. In 90degree weather i see trans temps around 180 after making 2-3 pulls. Still running through factory radiator to transcoolers to get trans to operating temp quickly since the car is driven on the street ALOT. (so essentially have 3 coolers...2 in fog lights, one in radiator.) If i wanted to get it really cool i could bypass the rad but as of right now it isn't necessary. And if i want to have the trans freeze over I guess i could always add some SPAL fans to the coolers too haha

Last edited by JKTURBOTA; 06-26-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:19 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Thanks man! the roof is glass and I had the Halo painted gloss black. Hood is a carbon creations hood. not the best looking hood but not bad for the money. I just had a FTI 3600 triple disc installed so wanted to make sure tranny temps stayed cool. In 90degree weather i see trans temps around 180 after making 2-3 pulls. Still running through factory radiator to transcoolers to get trans to operating temp quickly since the car is driven on the street ALOT. (so essentially have 3 coolers...2 in fog lights, one in radiator.) If i wanted to get it really cool i could bypass the rad but as of right now it isn't necessary. And if i want to have the trans freeze over I guess i could always add some SPAL fans to the coolers too haha
Cool. I have a single large Hayden plate-type cooler sandwiched between my radiator and the A/C core and even with the H/X up front of that, my trans fluid temps rarely go over 190* in ~90 * weather, and that's when I'm beating on it. I have bypassed the radiator though. It takes me about 10 mins of regular driving before it reaches ~140* or so, but I don't ever have to worry about temps below 70* either. I have the FTI 3600 too, BTW! That's going to wake your car up real nice!

I would say to the OP that whilst it might make for a neat project to mount a fancy cooler/fan module at the rear of the car, it really doesn't make sense to blaze the trail on this, and the reason I haven't messed with it myself is because I don't need to, since my $60.00 bolt-on cooler is doing the job. There's plenty of other stuff for me to spend time and money on. One of them is going to be a carbon hood and wrap the halo and roof, because I really like that look on your car.
Another thing that I'm going to install soon is a B&M high capacity trans pan, that holds another 1.85 quarts of fluid, which I've bought already.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:35 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

As Canuk said - a single B&M with a fan, upfront does a remarkable job of keeping the trans fluid cool.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:20 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Gent's, thanks for all the responses and pics.

I'm installing a Circle D triple clutch 32-3400 stall to my built 6L80 and wanting to run a cooler for "longevity" (if that word can used in the same sentence as automatic). I'm really wanting to stay away from mounting one up front just because I don't want to run the factory lines up through the headers (or any lines up front for that matter). I also am wanting to stay away from the radiator. The car is basically a street/strip car and not a daily.

I know the C7's are running them in the rear left qtr but they have the vent on top for air. Was hoping someone was keeping temps below 200* with a rear mounted cooler/fan.
I actually thought about running one in place of the fog lights but really don't want to go upfront.

I did find a post Canuk replied too about this cooler, but again the post was a front mount and still utilized the radiator. Still has some good info. Here's the link for reference if you want to read.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...right-way.html

Will keep you posted on what I decide. Again, thanks for all the input.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:05 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by bmfvette
Gent's, thanks for all the responses and pics.

I'm installing a Circle D triple clutch 32-3400 stall to my built 6L80 and wanting to run a cooler for "longevity" (if that word can used in the same sentence as automatic). I'm really wanting to stay away from mounting one up front just because I don't want to run the factory lines up through the headers (or any lines up front for that matter). I also am wanting to stay away from the radiator. The car is basically a street/strip car and not a daily.

I know the C7's are running them in the rear left qtr but they have the vent on top for air. Was hoping someone was keeping temps below 200* with a rear mounted cooler/fan.
I actually thought about running one in place of the fog lights but really don't want to go upfront.

I did find a post Canuk replied too about this cooler, but again the post was a front mount and still utilized the radiator. Still has some good info. Here's the link for reference if you want to read.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...right-way.html

Will keep you posted on what I decide. Again, thanks for all the input.
I don't utilize the radiator. My dewitts has no cooler in it. If you use braided lines, its easy to route the away from the headers. Not saying its the only way, but it is proven. If you do a rear mount and it works well, it will be interesting to see the details. I have yet to see one work as well as a front mount.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:10 PM
JKTURBOTA
Advanced

Dont re-invent the wheel. Put a good trans cooler with a fan up front in the fog light hole with good -AN fittings and call it a day. Don't make things harder then they really are
Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Dont re-invent the wheel. Put a good trans cooler with a fan up front in the fog light hole with good -AN fittings and call it a day. Don't make things harder then they really are
But that goes against the corvette forum way.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:40 AM
JKTURBOTA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Unreal
But that goes against the corvette forum way.

So true. People ask for opinions. Get accurate answers from people who have actually done it and proven it.......then end up doing the total opposite, spending more times/money, and end up experiencing less than desirable results.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

The only opinion you have is what your shop sold you. Don't come in my thread ball busting with your with your gibberish when you have nothing but receipts.
The following users liked this post:
Dude_man (06-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Rear mounted external trans cooler

Old 06-27-2016, 01:22 PM
JKTURBOTA
Advanced

lol actually i have had that opinion long before i even took my car to that shop. have seen that same setup work time and time again on other cars. but go ahead and make your "custom" setup in the most inefficient location and go against what makes the most sense. To me thats gibberish. Good luck keeping that tranny cool
Old 06-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I've put the cooler in the rear of my old c6z and now my turbo charged zr1..

I didn't feel like it was a good choice cramping more crap up in the front of the car, and have to add twice the lines and fittings..

Plus I figured the less weight on the front and the more weight on the back the better off I was when trying to get the car to plant the tires...
Old 06-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bmfvette
The only opinion you have is what your shop sold you. Don't come in my thread ball busting with your with your gibberish when you have nothing but receipts.
LOL!!!!!

It can work really well ,if you dont have an exhaust back there.

Quick Reply: Rear mounted external trans cooler