C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to tell if C6 was supercharged before

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:34 AM
ImBoosted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to tell if C6 was supercharged before

I'm in the market for a C6 and found a LS3 vette I wanted to take a look at, but it seems to have a hood that was possibly installed to clear a roots supercharger.

Would there be any way for me to determine if the car had one installed and was returned to stock? I'd like to avoid it, if it was. I have attached a photo.

Front bumper fitment doesn't look the greatest, either.. But, the car supposedly has a clean history.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ImBoosted; 03-15-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Sure,

Check if the crank has been pinned.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:52 AM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Ah yes, the steering rack my favorite! I can't think of any practical way to see if it's had a blower. I'd just go buy a different car, the hood would make me worry. There are lots of cars that have been stock the whole time out there.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually you have a few options if it is a centri blower.

Check the front splash shield in the passenger fender. If it is notched for a charge pipe, chance are it had a SC.

Check the water pump. If it is grounded down on the passenger side to make room for the bracket, chances are it had a SC.

For the roots blower, check the bumper, if the fins that bolt to the lower radiator support where cut and redrilled, it more than likely at least had an intercooler on it.

Last edited by staticki; 03-15-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:17 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Aftermarket front bumper cover as well. may have just been a cosmetic mod.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:53 PM
ImBoosted
Intermediate

Thank you all for the responses.

Does anyone know which front bumper that is? Doesn't look like any that I've found, since it has that small hump in the middle of the scoop.

Originally Posted by russ472
Aftermarket front bumper cover as well. may have just been a cosmetic mod.
I was thinking/hoping the same thing since the car does have quite a few appearance mods.

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Sure,

Check if the crank has been pinned.
Would I be able to see this with the bolt in place, or do bolts typically cover the pin?

Last edited by ImBoosted; 03-15-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:15 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

fairly typical for those "wings" on the bumper to be up on c6 vettes too. the little clips just break from taking it on and off and are like a $6 part from GM dealer.

if you look at the tabs on the water pump you should be able to see if something was recently bolted onto it which woudl be where centri bracket goes. splash panel and pinned crank are good ideas too
Old 03-15-2017, 04:22 PM
ImBoosted
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neverstop
fairly typical for those "wings" on the bumper to be up on c6 vettes too. the little clips just break from taking it on and off and are like a $6 part from GM dealer.

if you look at the tabs on the water pump you should be able to see if something was recently bolted onto it which woudl be where centri bracket goes. splash panel and pinned crank are good ideas too
Thanks for the suggestions. If I end up buying this car, Ill address the bumper clips. Makes me wonder if they were broken when the bumper was originally replaced, or if its been removed many times, like you said.

I'll see if I can't some photos of these locations. I might just have to plan on making appointments to see other cars in the area in case I make the drive only to find out it did have a blower installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to tell if C6 was supercharged before

Quick Reply: Any way to tell if C6 was supercharged before