C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice cleaning out intercooler.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:56 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Need advice cleaning out intercooler.

I wanted how you guys would go about cleaning out an intercooler. I had a impeller on my my blower go bad during my motor break in. Car wasn't under any boost and just cruising at 65 mph. Intake, motor is fine, but tomorrow I'm taking it apart and installing the new head unit. I want to insure I get any metal out that might be in there.

I was going to seal a leaf blower to the outlet side of the intercooler and blow it out that way. I guess pressurized water would work also. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Great excuse to upgrade

Leaf blower/compressor/etc to blow it out. Maybe even hit it with a degreaser and hose incase something is sticking.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:51 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah mark I used all the above before. And like Unreal said I used lacquer thinner that I had laying around to pour down it to remove any oily residue then flushed with a mild mix of soapy water. Not much soap either just a little shot of Dawn and then just flushed with the water hose for a bit. I know it was over kill but none of it takes long when its out of the car etc... Then just blew it out again.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:08 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by inspector12
Yeah mark I used all the above before. And like Unreal said I used lacquer thinner that I had laying around to pour down it to remove any oily residue then flushed with a mild mix of soapy water. Not much soap either just a little shot of Dawn and then just flushed with the water hose for a bit. I know it was over kill but none of it takes long when its out of the car etc... Then just blew it out again.
Thanks Jeff. Hope all is well bud. I'm on my way to car to start on it. Are you out at the TSS Viper nationals? Haven't seen you at the last couple events.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:09 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
Great excuse to upgrade

Leaf blower/compressor/etc to blow it out. Maybe even hit it with a degreaser and hose incase something is sticking.
That's the plan, thanks buddy!
Old 04-09-2017, 02:34 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Thanks Jeff. Hope all is well bud. I'm on my way to car to start on it. Are you out at the TSS Viper nationals? Haven't seen you at the last couple events.
I was at the last Quick 30, but today I'm working days I've watched most of it on HTC as he's streaming it live etc...
Old 04-10-2017, 12:50 AM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
That's the plan, thanks buddy!

Wash it out with something that will break down oil first. I wouldnt use something flammable if your going to use a leaf blower or let it air out first
. Do all rinsing from the outlet side. While using the leaf blower take a small hammer and tap on the cooler to help dislodge anything. Blow gun isnt enough air.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Brake cleaner or petrol etc is always good for cleaning. Just fill it up, give it a good slosh about for a while and then allow it to drain via the dirty/intake side to hopefully flush anything out.

Although mechanical debris from a blower failure...chances of any of that debris making it all the way through the core to put an engine at risk is almost zero.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice cleaning out intercooler.

Quick Reply: Need advice cleaning out intercooler.