C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Catch can and breather system question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Yet another Catch can and breather system question.

Current set up is the MM wild with stock valve covers. All stock lines from oil tank to valve covers. The one line from the oil tank that went to the stock air intake pipe now goes to the ECS inlet filter.

I want to clean things up a little and picked up some Holley covers with -8 bungs already in them.

My questions
Will a -8 from each cover be equal or better then my current set up? I will run each cover to the MM can. Still use the intake for vacuum keeping the PCV check to stop boost going to the can.
What do I do with the oil tank lines?
I have looked at a lot of posts and see many do it many ways. Each set up is different. I'm running right at 14# of boost.

Not sure if I should just leave it alone or use the Holley covers. I could always get the MM Holley fitting and cap the pass side bung or run the oil tank to it. And run the drives cover over to the can.
I would still need to figure out the oil tank lines.

Last edited by GeneSch; 04-20-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:08 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

if those Holley covers don't have barbs to run to the oil tank i would add them (or at least one since they T together on most models before the dry sump) you may be able to use one of the 8's for that

if you use the other 8 to go to the can, thats fine just remember if you go from 10 to 8 your maximum flow capability is reduced. 20%

the fitting in 8/10/12 from me is 30 here
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...ll-an-adapters
Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Running a similar setup but with a Moroso air/oil sep. The Holley covers I just put on have barbs on both sides but maybe only for the tall covers. On the fence about venting both covers and only did the pass side.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Running a similar setup but with a Moroso air/oil sep. The Holley covers I just put on have barbs on both sides but maybe only for the tall covers. On the fence about venting both covers and only did the pass side.

depending on your power goals and current issues or lack of. you may be perfectly fine venting one cover. i assume at or around stock power?

the pcv system is just like any other one on the car. when you want to go faster, it needs to grow to keep up. just like fuel system, exhaust, intake etc. the pcv system will let you know in a hurry when it is not happy, sometimes in very expensive ways.

you would not try to run a 900hp car on a stock fuel system, same applies to crankcase ventilation
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Been really busy and haven't had any free time. I finished it up tonight.
I kept the vally plugged. I'd like to tie it into the system so it can pull some vapor out of the crank case. I'm not sure of the best way to do that.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

where is the forward port on the passenger valve cover headed?

you can include the valley if you want, but try blowing through it first. practically worthless from a ventilation standpoint.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I run 1/2" to the can from valve cover, and then have the sump into one of the holley barbs so the sump is sealed. Works great for me. Valley plugged. Had the sump venting with a small filter, but plugged it just to clean it up and ran that line to the valve cover so if the sump needs to breath, it just vents into the valve cover, and any pressure then can exit through the can.

Pulling vacuum on can from port preblower.
The following users liked this post:
GeneSch (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Right now, The valley is plugged, the rear line on the oil tank is going to the Pass side cover, and the front of the oil tank is going to the inlet filter on the blower. As Dave suggested, I will keep and eye on this line to be sure it doesn't push any oil out. It looks much cleaner and should work fine.

If I put a vacuum gauge on the front line coming from the oil tank to the blower inlet filter, should I see vacuum here as this should be the only fresh air inlet into the system?

Last edited by GeneSch; 04-28-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another Catch can and breather system question.

Quick Reply: Yet another Catch can and breather system question.