C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS3 12* Head from AFR

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Default New LS3 12* Head from AFR

Anyone on here seen or heard of any tests/results on these heads?

http://www.airflowresearch.com/260cc...ead/#prod_info

I've been wondering for a long time why AFR hasn't built an LS3 head and they've finally done it. Looks to be a good option, on paper, at least.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

A lot of coin. Would be interesting to see what they would do with the heartbeat
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
A lot of coin. Would be interesting to see what they would do with the heartbeat
IDK. For a 12* aftermarket head with all of the components that come with it, I think it's priced pretty competitively, especially the 6 bolt version. Summit has both types in stock for $2521 a pair. That's roughly the same as the TFS heads. It would be interesting to see which one is better. I would think they would be close in power. The AFRs come with their signature 3/4" deck. I think they make good quality stuff. ****, Tony Mamo works for them, doesn't he, so he probably had a hand in the design.
I've been running a pair of their BBC marine heads with hard anodized coating and inconel valves on my boat for over 12 years. It made a shitload of power with an intercooled Procharger M3 setup. Never had an issue with the heads. Just thought it strange that I hadn't seen anything on these yet, so thought I would post it up on here.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I think he use to work there, not anymore. Can probably ask him his opinion on them.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hmmmn. Didn't know that he left.
In any event, I don't think I would go with any aftermarket head for my current setup. Because, for the price of a pair of these, I could pick up a set of assembled GM CNC LS3 heads (for ~$1300) and throw my springs and retainers on them and still have enough left over to buy one of these or a TFS head.
And even if/when I build a forged bottom end, I would still consider whether to use a good set of ported LSA/LS9 castings, for a supercharged application, unless I decided to go full stupid and make it completely useless as a street car.
The GM heads tend to respond really well to the CNC porting on the exhaust side, which is where a supercharged engine needs it to flow, and this whole idea about a smaller, higher velocity intake port isn't so terribly important when your pushing air through it with a blower, IMV.
I've been reading some interesting posts by Tony Mamo on another forum about how the value of ported heads on supercharged applications is grossly underrated. I may very well just pick up a set of the GM CNC heads and a set of LS9 gaskets and ARP head bolts/studs and throw those on soon, just for ***** and giggles. It's not like my junk Hbeat setup will ever generate enough power to justify a thicker deck/better casting head anyhow.
The following users liked this post:
sallen619 (12-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New LS3 12* Head from AFR

Quick Reply: New LS3 12* Head from AFR