C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPR LS3/LSA build finishing up **820+ wheel HP**

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:51 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Received 211 Likes on 132 Posts
Default HPR LS3/LSA build finishing up **820+ wheel HP**

Results are coming in from one of our latest LS builds and showing some very impressive results.

Engine build details:
  • GM LSA engine block
  • GM LSA crankshaft
  • HPR/Wiseco Piston set
  • HPR/Wiseco H beam connecting rods
  • HPR spec'd hyd roller cam (231/247 .629/.629)
  • Morel travel limited link bar lifters with 0.750" wheels
  • HPR double taper 7/16" double taper pushrods
  • MAST 255cc LS3/LSA cylinder heads
  • Jesel 'zero thrust' 1.7 shaft mount rocker arms
  • C5R timing chain
  • All machine work done in house at HPR
  • All assembly done in house at HPR

Our customer finished the install with a Maggie Heartbeat supercharger, 102mm TB, 1 7/8 headers and fuel system.

**Before run was with prior package already installed. Car is a 6spd manual**

Pistons, rods, and rings ready for assembly

Short block finished after machine work, cleaning, and balancing

MAST 255cc cylinder heads

Mast intake runner

Morel travel limited lifters

Top end package with ARP studs, GM LS9 gaskets, MAST heads and Jesel rockers

Jesel's zero thrust shaft mounted rocker arms

Long block finished

In the car with the Maggie supercharger ready for dyno!

For a mild combo that can be used as a daily on normal pump fuel (not E85) the package turned out very well!

Granted this was in a CTSV, but the same package can be done on the C6 platform using the same supercharger and engine build.

Hopefully I'll have some video from the customer later this week!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:55 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

That's pretty dam spicy right there! Makes for one mean a$$ed Caddy. Just curious what diameter crank pulley and blower pulley you're using. Also, how much boost you're seeing. Congrats on a job well done
The following users liked this post:
HP RESEARCH (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
That's pretty dam spicy right there! Makes for one mean a$$ed Caddy. Just curious what diameter crank pulley and blower pulley you're using. Also, how much boost you're seeing. Congrats on a job well done
I would need to check with them on that, as we didn't put that side of the setup together. I do know he told me it was making around 16-17 psi of boost measured at the engine and that was a 'warm' pull after they had done some more break in with it on the dyno.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Nice build, with some impressive and expensive parts.
What cubic inch is it?
Are you saying that it's making that kind of power @ 16-17psi on pump gas alone???
Looks like the upper pulley is ~75mm, and the Caddys can a 9+" pulley on the Crank, so they can spin the snot out of those Hbeat blowers, compared to the C6 version.
In a C6 application, that build would make substantially less power, due to the C6 Hbeat kits pulley constraints, lower lid height/smaller charge air coolers and the unavailability of a larger inlet for the larger throttle body.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:59 AM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CI GS
Nice build, with some impressive and expensive parts.
What cubic inch is it?
Are you saying that it's making that kind of power @ 16-17psi on pump gas alone???
Looks like the upper pulley is ~75mm, and the Caddys can a 9+" pulley on the Crank, so they can spin the snot out of those Hbeat blowers, compared to the C6 version.
In a C6 application, that build would make substantially less power, due to the C6 Hbeat kits pulley constraints, lower lid height/smaller charge air coolers and the unavailability of a larger inlet for the larger throttle body.
It is stock stroke, 4.080" bore so stock displacement.

It has a meth kit on it, talking to the tuner last night they hadn't started to spray it yet, but I should get details on the pulley combo, more pics, and some video's of it. Bad thing about not being there while it is on the dyno, no first hand perspective. I believe he told me the upper pulley was a 2.55" but I need to confirm the lower size.

Last edited by HP RESEARCH; 08-10-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:05 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

I see that the LSA block is around $750 more than the LS3 block. What are the advantages of using the LSA block and at what power level does it make sense to go to the LSA block?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
I see that the LSA block is around $750 more than the LS3 block. What are the advantages of using the LSA block and at what power level does it make sense to go to the LSA block?
The LSA has a steel main cap vs the iron on the LS2/3 blocks. The LSA has piston oilers, which in some respects can be good and bad both depending on the build (they can be used or plugged). The LSA does use a slightly different process / aluminum alloy like the LS9 blocks. Now if any of these add up to more reliability, hard to say. we have both blocks in the four digit power levels and they all seem to "wear" about the same.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:30 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HP RESEARCH
The LSA has a steel main cap vs the iron on the LS2/3 blocks. The LSA has piston oilers, which in some respects can be good and bad both depending on the build (they can be used or plugged). The LSA does use a slightly different process / aluminum alloy like the LS9 blocks. Now if any of these add up to more reliability, hard to say. we have both blocks in the four digit power levels and they all seem to "wear" about the same.
What are some of the good and bad aspects of the piston oilers?
Old 09-05-2018, 04:39 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
What are some of the good and bad aspects of the piston oilers?
The LS engine platform as a whole is a oil bath machine. Rather than have the oil drain backs running along the sides of the block (like say a late model Hemi or Ford), they dump the oil right down the valley ontop of the crankshaft which then throws oil all over the place. So typically having oil reach the pistons / piston pins is not an issue. On larger stroke engines they can get in the way which either requires a special sprayer or machine work to the pistons for clearance.

I don't know for sure but I would say the factory did it for some sort of emissions reasons and keeping the tops of the pistons cooler possibly. Again, that is just a theory.

If it was a hard core dry sump system, say 5+ stages that can really pull a lot of vacuum then you might want or need to have them in there. In most applications that we have done over the years, including some 1000+ hp Texas Mile cars, we have never had any issues NOT using them and blocking the ports off.
The following users liked this post:
Chiselchst (09-10-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HP RESEARCH
The LS engine platform as a whole is a oil bath machine. Rather than have the oil drain backs running along the sides of the block (like say a late model Hemi or Ford), they dump the oil right down the valley ontop of the crankshaft which then throws oil all over the place. So typically having oil reach the pistons / piston pins is not an issue. On larger stroke engines they can get in the way which either requires a special sprayer or machine work to the pistons for clearance.

I don't know for sure but I would say the factory did it for some sort of emissions reasons and keeping the tops of the pistons cooler possibly. Again, that is just a theory.

If it was a hard core dry sump system, say 5+ stages that can really pull a lot of vacuum then you might want or need to have them in there. In most applications that we have done over the years, including some 1000+ hp Texas Mile cars, we have never had any issues NOT using them and blocking the ports off.
Thanks for the info. It may be they are needed for cast pistons and not forged pistons for some reason. GM likes to use cast pistons because of their low coefficient of thermal expansion, meaning less engine noise. Maybe the oil squirters are there to keep the cast pistons from expanding too much, since they run at tighter tolerances. Or maybe the hypereutectic alloy is more sensitive to heat in some way.

Get notified of new replies

To HPR LS3/LSA build finishing up **820+ wheel HP**

Quick Reply: HPR LS3/LSA build finishing up **820+ wheel HP**