C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure drop driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Tommy1995
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fuel pressure drop driving me crazy

OK so here is my situation if anybody can help. I have a 2008 base manual C6. Cam, v3 A&A supercharger (7 lbs of boost), ID1050 injectors, full exhaust, meth, tuned, ECS Stage 1 fuel system. Boost a pump. Lingenfelter hi flow pump.

The problem I'm having is a loss in fuel pressure. I have been told the car should be running 58psi. At start up the car runs at 58. As I'm driving around and it gets to normal opperation temp it will drop down to around 52. If I get stuck in traffic the car will drop lower and lower and eventually end up at around 42 to 45. Once moving again the pressure will come back up slowly to around 50. If after driving I shut the car off and let it sit for 15 minutes When I go back to started it will be low (around 48). It seems to me like the heat is causing the drop. But it also seems to me like it shouldn't even drop when it warms up to normal operating temperature and drop to 52psi considering all the extra stuff I have put on like the stage 1 fuel system and high flow pump with boost a pump. What could be causing the low pressure. I have a glowshift fuel gauge that is connected to the fuel rail. I have tried one other gauge
/sending unit to eliminate that as being the issue.

This all started after installing the A&A v3. Boost A pump was installed at the same time. Then the ECS Stage 1. No change in pressure. Hi flow pump. No change in pressure. Meth no change.

Any help please !
Old 10-17-2017, 12:24 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Who installed the stage 1 system and BAP?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:36 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

Originally Posted by User Omega
Who installed the stage 1 system and BAP?
BAP was installed by the LSX shop that did the blower. Stage 1 was installed by a shop i have used to do all my gas tank work. ie fuel vapor leak from top of tank/pump and high flow pump.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tommy1995
BAP was installed by the LSX shop that did the blower. Stage 1 was installed by a shop i have used to do all my gas tank work. ie fuel vapor leak from top of tank/pump and high flow pump.
I'm leaning towards your stock pump going bad.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

I'm leaning towards your stock pump going bad.
stock pump was removed and the hi flow Lingenfelter was put in. No change.

The order was...
Cam
Blower with injectors
Boost a pump
ECS Stage 1
Hi-flow fuel pump
Meth.
None of the above have had any affect on fuel pressure loss
Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Have you checked the actual voltage at the pump?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

I haven't only because temperature seems to have to do with pressure loss. If the voltage wasn't there then wouldn't it always be low or start out at between 42-50?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:54 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

And would it be better to measure the voltage at the pump itself or coming out of the bap?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:41 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

You could test the output of the BAP too. With heat resistance increases. I am just giving you ideas.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

You could test the output of the BAP too. With heat resistance increases. I am just giving you ideas.
That is true. I will test the voltage coming out of the Bap. Thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

More than likely it’s the stock fuel pump harness though, because neither the BAP or the ECS aux pump comes into play until youre making boost.
I would suggest replacing the stock FP harness with the Racetronix harness. That’s the best $60 anyone can spend on a C6, and the easiest install too. It even comes with the plug for your BAP. You just need to buy the plug to install on the power wire to the BAP and then it’s a completely plug and play deal.
BTW: why are you running a BAP with the Stage 1 fuel system? At 7 psi, you probably don’t need either, especially if you’re using meth. I would remove the BAP and just use the ECS fuel pump for fueling under boost.

Last edited by CI GS; 10-17-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

Originally Posted by CI GS

I would suggest replacing the stock FP harness with the Racetronix harness. That’s the best $60 anyone can spend on a C6, and the easiest install too. It even comes with the plug for your BAP. You just need to buy the plug to install on the power wire to the BAP and then it’s a completely plug and play deal.
have a link?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=FPWH-008

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=IPH-008&Tp=
Old 10-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Tommy1995
Racer

great. Thanks !
Old 10-17-2017, 01:55 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,087 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS

More than likely it’s the stock fuel pump harness though, because neither the BAP or the ECS aux pump comes into play until youre making boost.
BTW: why are you running a BAP with the Stage 1 fuel system? At 7 psi, you probably don’t need either, especially if you’re using meth. I would remove the BAP and just use the ECS fuel pump for fueling under boost.

Well said, I would also suggest putting manual pressure gauge on the car to know it's actually losing pressure, or is the sending unit failing.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:14 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd lean towards a voltage issue as well. I'd be willing to bet your charging system is at its peak voltage when the car is cold and alternator is cold. Which is supplying your fuel pump with the proper voltage. Then once the alternator is hot system voltage drops. Lowering the voltage to the pump...then in traffic the alternator heat soaks and drops voltage even more. ECT. I'd also recommend the upgraded harness as previously mentioned as well as you might want to look into a higher amp alternator depending on voltage readings when hot and idling.

Last edited by BLWN427; 10-21-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 AM
BT03mach-1
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anything? I'm having kind of the same issue. ECS kit with just a BAP and hot wire kit. It will start up fine driving it around and make a few Highway hits and then it will start to stumble when taking off. it starts getting worse and worse and a/f gauge showing lean. when I get home it will not start. I bypassed the BAP and that didn't change. After awhile of checking wiring, solder joints, swapping relays, checking grounds and checking fuses it will start up again like nothing ever happened. I can jump the relay and hear the pump running. Voltage looked fine but when it started stumbling when taking off I stopped watching the voltage and watched the a/f

also when it starts doing this once I get it pass the stumble giving it gas it runs fine till you have to get off the gas. It's like it happens at light throttle then gets worse. My tuner said he didn't have any issues. IT seems to happen after driving for awhile

Last edited by BT03mach-1; 11-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure drop driving me crazy

Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

Originally Posted by BT03mach-1
Anything? I'm having kind of the same issue. ECS kit with just a BAP and hot wire kit. It will start up fine driving it around and make a few Highway hits and then it will start to stumble when taking off. it starts getting worse and worse and a/f gauge showing lean. when I get home it will not start. I bypassed the BAP and that didn't change. After awhile of checking wiring, solder joints, swapping relays, checking grounds and checking fuses it will start up again like nothing ever happened. I can jump the relay and hear the pump running. Voltage looked fine but when it started stumbling when taking off I stopped watching the voltage and watched the a/f

also when it starts doing this once I get it pass the stumble giving it gas it runs fine till you have to get off the gas. It's like it happens at light throttle then gets worse. My tuner said he didn't have any issues. IT seems to happen after driving for awhile
Still nothing figured out on my end. All my tuners say the same thing that they don't have any issues. Yours definitely sounds like a vapor lock problem. Not sure if that's even possible in a c6 but it reminds me a lot of my old Camaro that had vapor lock. I will post any updates when I find out what's going on. Back in the shop this week for a clutch problem and feel pleasure/vapor problems
Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 PM
BT03mach-1
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks! I guess I can start searching vapor lock. The odd thing is after I installed everything the 1st start up it wouldn't start . I had jump the relay to make the pump run for it to finally start. So I'm wondering if its not a heat issue.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Tommy1995
Racer

Originally Posted by BT03mach-1
Thanks! I guess I can start searching vapor lock. The odd thing is after I installed everything the 1st start up it wouldn't start . I had jump the relay to make the pump run for it to finally start. So I'm wondering if its not a heat issue.
I'm sure mine is heat related. Mine only had problem when warmed up. Always good pressure from a cold start.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure drop driving me crazy