C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single turbo help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Single turbo help!!!

Hi all im just after some guidance from the turbo experts out there.
Cut a long story short, I live in the U.K. and searched for a company to make me a single turbo kit where I could keep the ac and also a rear exit exhaust.
I found a company in the US who make kits for c6’s but it has not gone smoothly and has cost me £15k to purchase and install this kit.
It consists of custom headers with 2.5” crossover pipe from driver to passenger header, 80lb injectors, bap, Xs power bov/wastegate (thought I was getting tial), bw 369sxe turbo.
Problem im having is that the turbo will not go beyond 9psi max, beyond this it causes all sorts of problems and the car seems to hit a wall.
I went to a garage today who said they could rebuild the passenger header so it’s higher up and allow a 3/3.5” downpipe to fit (currently 2.5” downpipe). Also to reroute the wastegate to atmosphere as at the minute it seems to point straight at the turbo outlet. All this will cost near enough £2k to do.

Now will this sort the issues im experiencing or should I also upgrade the turbo to a pt7675 at the same time. It just seems to be more and more money but this kit really doesn’t work well at all.

Last edited by SteveSierra; 02-11-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Couple issues i will note here.
1. What looks like the turbo draining into the oil drain plug has to go. Oil must be drained ABOVE the oil level. I am shocked your not blowing oil out the exhaust.
You also need far more angle then it looks like your getting there with the current turbo/drain location.

2. That air filter is junk throw it away buy a quality filter. I have used much larger nicer filters and seen multiple PSI difference let alone that worthless thing that is on there.

3. I like the idea of a larger downpipe you could very honestly be maxing a 2.5 inch downpipe. I made around 580whp on a different platform on a 2.5 inch im not sure what is left after that.

4. Consider re routing your boost controller to what is shown on page 14 of this document rather then 13 like it looks like you have it setup.
https://sirhclabs.com/resources/cort...ions-4-0-3.pdf

5. Double check the springs inside of the wastegate. It very well may just require a tougher spring to make more then 9psi...put a different stronger spring combo in and check it out. Base it off of what you want to run at the max. I normally size my springs for around half my target so if i want 30psi i set the base spring at 15 or so depending on what springs i have laying around.

6. Your turbo is on the small side for a single and a 6.0L but if your goals are small ie maybe like 600whp then keep it. If want 700-800 then you need something larger imo. I would avoid a pte anything I have purchased a couple and found them lazy compared to other options on the market. Only thing pte does is offer something cheap in a small package not exactly the best product. I prefer Bullseye power turbos but thats just what i have experienced. They are borg based with varying levels of modified depending on budget and goals.

The whole kit looks pretty poorly made in components material and welding. Sorry to see you have all these issues. It will be worth it once you fix it all.

Last edited by Shortpersonbk; 02-11-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 AM
SteveSierra
Racer

Thank you for your time in replying, I really appreciate it.
I know what you mean about the air filter and I’m currently trying to move things about to squeeze a bigger filter in there.
We did try stronger springs in the wastegate but the car just didn’t like it when we increased the boost and the back pressure was too much.
Move heard a lot of good things regarding precision turbos so surprised to hear this, the main reason for me to use them would be the very limited space I have. I currently just fit the bg 369 so worried the larger framed turbos simply wouldn’t fit. I believe the pt 7675 is the same size unit as my current turbo but more potential.
My current vacuum routing is as below, does this seem ok?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 AM
EnviedC6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm curious, what company made this kit? I haven't seen this come from a company around here. A couple of people have fab'd up their own kits similar to this one.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveSierra
Thank you for your time in replying, I really appreciate it.
I know what you mean about the air filter and I’m currently trying to move things about to squeeze a bigger filter in there.
We did try stronger springs in the wastegate but the car just didn’t like it when we increased the boost and the back pressure was too much.
Move heard a lot of good things regarding precision turbos so surprised to hear this, the main reason for me to use them would be the very limited space I have. I currently just fit the bg 369 so worried the larger framed turbos simply wouldn’t fit. I believe the pt 7675 is the same size unit as my current turbo but more potential.
My current vacuum routing is as below, does this seem ok?
The more boost issue could be a by product of the intake filter choking it out or the backpressure issue. Recheck the diagram i linked you too the T should be on the top of the gate not the bottom.

It is not that PTE turbos are bad like i said i have purchased a few over the years. They are price friendly and compact. They just have terrible customer support and the product its self in back to back testing i have done just has not held up as well when it comes to response, lag, and power to competitor units that is all. If it is what fits in your situation in both space and budget your will more then likely be happy.

That being said i have a friend with a 5.7 hemi and a s366 turbo with a billet wheel and he makes enough power to trap in the 130s in a pretty heavy old jeep wagoner he even sees full boost by like 2,000 rpm or something. It is really all based on your end goals as to if you switch turbos or not. But please please fix that oil drain line im shocked that s369 is living through that but if you switch to the pte turbo it 100% will need to be rebuilt within a couple miles.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Yes I will definately get a garage to move the oil return and also shorten the line as at the minute it’s too long and bends under the car below the pan itself.
With the vacuum lines I’ve double checked in the innovate instructions and it says I have it correct.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Yes I will definately get a garage to move the oil return and also shorten the line as at the minute it’s too long and bends under the car below the pan itself.
With the vacuum lines I’ve double checked in the innovate instructions and it says I have it correct.
Yeah there are multiple ways to route the vac lines for a 3 port solenoid. Different routing promotes slightly different behavior. The one i posted i believe should allow you to get a little more boost out of a set spring within the gate since you route some of the pressure to the top of the gate.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Looks like a Mirror Image turbo kit. Can't believe I actually considered using them at one point. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
What size is exhaust side housing? Definitely choking it up. The wastegate dumping into the exhaust so close to the exit is not helping either. Venting the wastegate to atmosphere may even allow you to run a few extra PSI before the back pressure jumps up again.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 PM
zx10cobra
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol. So much misinformation on here. Yes, small frame journal bearing precisions do blow ***. Your typical precision 7675 will do just fine, so long as you don't choke it, and starve it of oil, or drench it in oil. I've built kits that had to utilize extremely small air filters and they most certainly didn't pose any restriction. Also the DP should be 3.5" at a minimum, 4" if at all possible. Oh and the oil does not absolutely have to drain back above oil level, but that does depend on plenty of other factors... but that particular routing and drain back is ****.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Originally Posted by zx10rcobra
Lol. So much misinformation on here. Yes, small frame journal bearing precisions do blow ***. Your typical precision 7675 will do just fine, so long as you don't choke it, and starve it of oil, or drench it in oil. I've built kits that had to utilize extremely small air filters and they most certainly didn't pose any restriction. Also the DP should be 3.5" at a minimum, 4" if at all possible. Oh and the oil does not absolutely have to drain back above oil level, but that does depend on plenty of other factors... but that particular routing and drain back is ****.
Eh when i did back to back pulls with a couple different filter setups including none and one of those velocity stacks i found a larger quality filter was the best there were multiple psi differences from one to another on a setup where the gate was basically shut as could be and turbo making everything it had for the rest of the setup.

Maybe it is just the small frame precisions that suck or maybe they are all subpar and just are much better at marketing i dont really know or care. Like i said above they work for what they are.

Last edited by Shortpersonbk; 02-12-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:26 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I've used several precision turbo's on my Supra and never had a problem, and the billet versions make crazy horsepower. Just make sure you have good oil drainage, or use an oil restrictor for the feed if you have too much oil pressure. Not sure how well a 7675 will do, the turbine might have too much back pressure for a 6.0?
Old 03-01-2019, 05:54 AM
SteveSierra
Racer

So I finally got a larger filter so hopefully that will help. I just about got it to fit in the bay as it’s absolutely huge, probably over kill lol.
What are people’s thoughts on the crossover going straight into the passenger header? Will this have a huge effect and cause issues with the flow of the header or am I over thinking this bit?

Old 03-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

So I finally got a larger filter so hopefully that will help. I just about got it to fit in the bay as it’s absolutely huge, probably over kill lol.
What are people’s thoughts on the crossover going straight into the passenger header? Will this have a huge effect and cause issues with the flow of the header or am I over thinking this bit?

On my current turbo build we are dropping the crossover into the back of the manifold and I fully expect to make anywhere from 750-900 ish whp so take that for what it is.

Hopefully with all these minor tweaks you get what you want from the car. Curious what are your goals?
Old 03-01-2019, 04:36 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Thanks.
Have you got any pictures that you can share with me please.
I was looking at 700 as that’s what the kit was sold as achieving.
Might think about upgrading the turbo though to with a pt7675 or comp CTR4508R 8088

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
On my current turbo build we are dropping the crossover into the back of the manifold and I fully expect to make anywhere from 750-900 ish whp so take that for what it is.

Hopefully with all these minor tweaks you get what you want from the car. Curious what are your goals?
Old 03-03-2019, 02:21 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Anyone have any experience with these turbos please?
PTE 7675 cea
Conp CTR4508r (oil or oil less)

many thanks

Last edited by SteveSierra; 03-03-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 PM
Clayton Adams
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all im just after some guidance from the turbo experts out there.
Cut a long story short, I live in the U.K. and searched for a company to make me a single turbo kit where I could keep the ac and also a rear exit exhaust.
I found a company in the US who make kits for c6’s but it has not gone smoothly and has cost me £15k to purchase and install this kit.
It consists of custom headers with 2.5” crossover pipe from driver to passenger header, 80lb injectors, bap, Xs power bov/wastegate (thought I was getting tial), bw 369sxe turbo.
Problem im having is that the turbo will not go beyond 9psi max, beyond this it causes all sorts of problems and the car seems to hit a wall.
I went to a garage today who said they could rebuild the passenger header so it’s higher up and allow a 3/3.5” downpipe to fit (currently 2.5” downpipe). Also to reroute the wastegate to atmosphere as at the minute it seems to point straight at the turbo outlet. All this will cost near enough £2k to do.

Now will this sort the issues im experiencing or should I also upgrade the turbo to a pt7675 at the same time. It just seems to be more and more money but this kit really doesn’t work well at all.

This really worries me I am currently in the process of purchasing a kit from them as well! Afters reading this I quickly contacted them and sent them the link Mirror Image claims they have never send a kit the UK?! They also told me to rest assured this is not there kit! With that being said I was wondering if you had the invoice they email you or possibly a receipt?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Clayton Adams
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve any further information about whats going on would be great and possibly save me a ton of problems!?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 AM
CHR89
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayton Adams
Steve any further information about whats going on would be great and possibly save me a ton of problems!?
Looks identical to the mirror image kit to me
Old 04-25-2019, 03:23 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Yes it is

Originally Posted by CHR89
Looks identical to the mirror image kit to me

Get notified of new replies

To Single turbo help!!!

Quick Reply: Single turbo help!!!