C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 E-Force - external fuel pump woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Default 2005 C6 E-Force - external fuel pump woes

Hello everyone -

I have had my E-Force supercharger on my C6 for about 3 years now.

Car setup: LS2 block, LS9 cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, E-Force supercharger, Kooks headers, DSX E85 sensor and FIC1000 injectors. 3" Edelbrock pulley - the car made 650 RWHP on E85.

I installed the external fuel pump at the same time - it is an ECS style setup - using -8 PTFE hoses - and using the same inline 3/8 to -8 AN fitting that ECS uses: https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=313-15121

I have a Deatschworks 350IL external pump as well.

The problem that I am running into - from a dig - or on the dyno - the car is dropping almost 20-30 psi when you step on the gas. From a stop - hit full throttle and it goes from 60+ psi down to 40 psi of fuel pressure.

When you are at speed - or on the highway and you floor it - the fuel pressure maintains 60+ psi without issue.

I have done my research here - and I saw a few "fixes" that I tried.

1. I installed the Racetronix fuel pump "hotwire" kit.
2. When I was installing the external pump kit - I somehow missed the fact that you need a check valve - I added a check valve after the fuel pump.
3. I replaced the external pump ground wire - with a wire that is 3x bigger - and I moved the ground location to a proper chassis ground.
4. I replaced the Hobbs switch as the tuner had noticed it had gone bad.
5. Installed a fuel pressure gauge so that I can verify what the fuel pressure at the rail is.
6. Verifed the External pump is receiving around 14 volts when activated - I also tested the ohm value of the ground wire that I replaced - and there was very little resistance drop.

I had done a few mods before this problem showed up:
1. 4" intake and cone filter from Vibrant
2. 2.75" pulley from Edelbrock
3. Russel -6AN Y Fuel Distribution block - and -6 PTFE hose to the back of the passenger side fuel rail.

I've done as much research as i can on this issue - hence why I am here - reaching out for some help.

Short of dropping the tank(s) - putting in the Lingenfelter FPR block off plates, adding an AFPR up front after the fuel rail, and adding a return line back to the tank - I am not sure what to do next and try and resolve this issue.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 AM
CHR89
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you bypassed the hobbs switch to run the external fuel pump full time?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Just a guess really but maybe your external pump is overpowering the factory regulator.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:00 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Originally Posted by CHR89
Have you bypassed the hobbs switch to run the external fuel pump full time?
No - the Hobbs switch is working fine - I did bypass it to verify that the pump is getting 14 volts - then I plugged the Hobbs switch back in. At speed - you can give it gas and see the fuel pressure increase from the second pump.

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Just a guess really but maybe your external pump is overpowering the factory regulator.
Yeah that issue had occurred to me - I have seen a number of threads where an AFPR was added + a return line - but the boost referenced regulator was adjusted to 58 psi and the boost reference port was left without a hose on it.

I've already been looking into getting the parts for that setup - but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious/stupid.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM
CHR89
Instructor

Yeah I assumed the hobbs was working since you mentioned replacing it, I was just curious to see if it had similar issues when running it full time vs off the hobbs switch. I had similar issues running my external 044 off of the hobbs so I deleted it and just run it full time now.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:10 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
No - the Hobbs switch is working fine - I did bypass it to verify that the pump is getting 14 volts - then I plugged the Hobbs switch back in. At speed - you can give it gas and see the fuel pressure increase from the second pump.

Yeah that issue had occurred to me - I have seen a number of threads where an AFPR was added + a return line - but the boost referenced regulator was adjusted to 58 psi and the boost reference port was left without a hose on it.

I've already been looking into getting the parts for that setup - but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious/stupid.

That's exactly how min is set up now and its no issue. But now that I think about it I had an ECS stage 1 system with my eforce and never had an issue... so something is wrong somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
bonecrrusher (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:14 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Where is your external pump picking up from ?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:38 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Yeah I assumed the hobbs was working since you mentioned replacing it, I was just curious to see if it had similar issues when running it full time vs off the hobbs switch. I had similar issues running my external 044 off of the hobbs so I deleted it and just run it full time now.
That sounds dangerous - lol.

Where is your external pump picking up from ?
I have the pickup at the same spot where the ECS bulkhead picks up - I do not have the ECS bulkhead (its in my parts list for the return line - as I don't want to drill another hole in the tank).

Pic is below:

Old 04-25-2019, 02:52 PM
CHR89
Instructor

How do you figure that would be dangerous?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:56 PM
CHR89
Instructor

Also you don't really want your check valve on the inlet side, you want it as free of restriction as possible.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Try running the secondary pump full time. Maybe you are running out of pressure before it kicks in. What psi is the hobbs set to come in at ?
Old 04-25-2019, 03:07 PM
CHR89
Instructor

Try running the secondary pump full time. Maybe you are running out of pressure before it kicks in. What psi is the hobbs set to come in at ?
That was my thought, not sure why he doesn't want to run it full time though. First thing I'd do though is get that check valve out of the inlet side especially with the pump pulling from essentially the bottom of the tank to the top.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Hobbs switch is set for 5 PSI.

I could try running the pump full time - and see what it does. That'll probably be the next thing that I do.

Could a weak alternator impact the fuel pumps?

Only reason I ask - is that both pumps run off of the alternator now - and I noticed it dipping into the 11 volt range yesterday when I was driving during lunch. It was 90* out and the AC was on. The car actually stalled out pulling up to a stop sign.

When I drove last night - it was in the 70's and the AC wasn't on and I didnt notice the charging issue that much.

I tested the battery - and it has 14 volts - also tested the alternator at idle and was producing 14 volts as well.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

That was my thought, not sure why he doesn't want to run it full time though. First thing I'd do though is get that check valve out of the inlet side especially with the pump pulling from essentially the bottom of the tank to the top.
The check valve is on the outlet of the fuel pump (bottom of the DW pump) - the check valve looking thing near the tank is a -8 fuel filter.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM
CHR89
Instructor

The check valve is on the outlet of the fuel pump (bottom of the DW pump) - the check valve looking thing near the tank is a -8 fuel filter.
Sounds good, looked like a check valve. I would for sure look into your electrical issues though especially because your alt will be putting out the least amount of charge from a stop/idle. Running the secondary pump full time will help you figure that out as well. Interestingly enough when I had the same issue with my 044/eforce build I was having alt issues as well. I still just run both pumps full time on mine though, have done quite a few cars like this in the past but I am also on a return style setup now.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Hobbs switch is set for 5 PSI.

I could try running the pump full time - and see what it does. That'll probably be the next thing that I do.

Could a weak alternator impact the fuel pumps?

Only reason I ask - is that both pumps run off of the alternator now - and I noticed it dipping into the 11 volt range yesterday when I was driving during lunch. It was 90* out and the AC was on. The car actually stalled out pulling up to a stop sign.

When I drove last night - it was in the 70's and the AC wasn't on and I didnt notice the charging issue that much.

I tested the battery - and it has 14 volts - also tested the alternator at idle and was producing 14 volts as well.
Low voltage will definitely effect the pumps. Make sure the belt isn't slipping or voltage dropping on hard acceleration.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:58 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Sounds good, looked like a check valve. I would for sure look into your electrical issues though especially because your alt will be putting out the least amount of charge from a stop/idle. Running the secondary pump full time will help you figure that out as well. Interestingly enough when I had the same issue with my 044/eforce build I was having alt issues as well. I still just run both pumps full time on mine though, have done quite a few cars like this in the past but I am also on a return style setup now.
What did you do to resolve the alternator issues? I am thinking of pulling mine and getting it load tested. After I do that I will run both pumps and see what happens.

Low voltage will definitely effect the pumps. Make sure the belt isn't slipping or voltage dropping on hard acceleration.
Thank you - I will pursue both of those.

I don't think I have much belt slip as I have the bigger 90 or 100mm idler pulley (whatever size that upgrade was) and the updated bracket. The Gates HD Green belt was really difficult to put on.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 E-Force - external fuel pump woes

Old 04-25-2019, 04:01 PM
CHR89
Instructor

What did you do to resolve the alternator issues? I am thinking of pulling mine and getting it load tested. After I do that I will run both pumps and see what happens.

Thank you - I will pursue both of those.

I don't think I have much belt slip as I have the bigger 90 or 100mm idler pulley (whatever size that upgrade was) and the updated bracket. The Gates HD Green belt was really difficult to put on.
Mine ended up being just a bad alternator, I replaced it with a higher amp unit without the clutch on it (make sure to red loctite the nut if you do this). It could be your Alternator as it gets warm or your starter as it gets a little cooked by your headers. If your battery is up front you can always run a power wire from the battery directly to the lug on the alternator to rule out your starter being faulty.

My alternator died pretty quickly after running both pumps + my EMP pump for the coolant tank full time.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:22 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

maybe I am wrong, but looking at your picture, it looks like the inlet line to the pump is on top of the pump.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:18 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by russ472
maybe I am wrong, but looking at your picture, it looks like the inlet line to the pump is on top of the pump.
Yep, that’s the same thing I was thinking. It’s possible that the way it’s set up, it’s losing prime on the hit and the pump is cavitating. The first thing I would do is flip the pump over and try to keep the inlet on the pump as close to the bottom of the tank as possible.

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 E-Force - external fuel pump woes