C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire suppression

Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Fire suppression

Hey guys. Im thinking the more money I sink into this dope *** 19 year old car the more I should protect it. What are some good fire suppression systems I can have in the car? Im going to start with a fire extinguisher, but whats a good brand I can rely on?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Halon is your best choice
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

That **** was banned lol. I take it they are better now?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:33 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I put fire extinguished system to engine bay. Now build new fuel system and put one nozzle more. Incar i have CO2 fire extinguished.

The following users liked this post:
CI GS (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 04:59 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
Hey guys. Im thinking the more money I sink into this dope *** 19 year old car the more I should protect it. What are some good fire suppression systems I can have in the car? Im going to start with a fire extinguisher, but whats a good brand I can rely on?
I’m looking at this now myself. A fire extinguisher is the one thing that you should always hope that you’ve wasted your money on, until you need it. In that regard, it’s probably the best way to waste money on your car.
From what I have found, the best agent is the Halotron 1 by H3R Halgard, which is certified for B and C class fires (chemical and electrical). The benefit of this for automotive fires is that it is a “clean agent” which is very good where you’re going to be spraying it on expensive equipment. Because the only thing worse than fire damage is even more damage caused by spraying the typical nasty, corrosive, powder extinguishing agent all over your engine compartment, because that stuff gets everywhere.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:15 AM
sonnysucks
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Good question, i was thinking about this more and more as I filled my Methonal tank in the engine bay... We use FM200 in the computer industry, Halon is poisonous and not used anymore. FM200 is clean, I'm just not sure if they use it in the automotive industry... going to check out the Halotron and see what options are out there.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:44 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sonnysucks
Good question, i was thinking about this more and more as I filled my Methonal tank in the engine bay... We use FM200 in the computer industry, Halon is poisonous and not used anymore. FM200 is clean, I'm just not sure if they use it in the automotive industry... going to check out the Halotron and see what options are out there.
Yep, Halotron was developed as an alternative to Halon after it was banned. It’s easy to find. Summit, Jegs etc. sells the Halgard clean agent extinguishers in 1.4, 2.5 and 5 lb capacities.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

The best peace of mind is getting out and calling your insurance agent
Old 07-04-2019, 05:46 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I’m not sure about anywhere else, but all the the insurance companies I know have entire teams of lawyers dedicated to assisting them in finding ways to deny claims, and certainly around here, the minute they hear that your car caught fire during racing they’re going to invoke their standard exemption for refusing coverage for anything remotely connected to racing, pacemaking, speeding, and/or for any modifications done to your car, etc. It’s what insurance companies do. So, I certainly won’t be using the terms “peace of mind” and “insurance agent” in the same sentence anytime soon, let alone in a discussion about fire extinguishers.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:02 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
Yep, Halotron was developed as an alternative to Halon after it was banned. It’s easy to find. Summit, Jegs etc. sells the Halgard clean agent extinguishers in 1.4, 2.5 and 5 lb capacities.
how long are they good for?
Old 07-05-2019, 07:57 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
how long are they good for?
According to Jegs’ website, they are warrantied for 6 years. That’s better than a new car...
Old 07-12-2019, 02:13 AM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

An 8lb Kidde garage fire extinguisher and a gallon of water did little to stop the fire that engulfed my 05'. Insurance sucks, still fighting them. I definitely need a real fire suppression system in my next car. May 31 19'
Old 07-12-2019, 12:56 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Any fire suppression system is just that, a system to suppress the fire until you are out and safe! It’s not going to stop a car from burning down! But it could save your life...

I have seen top speed cars that dump their cooling water into the engine bay should there be a fire. Wonder if the same could be done for a car? Couple of pipes coming off the rad hoses to melt-able end? Engine fires could be put out by the engine water? Safing any fire suppression for the cabin / fuel area? Just a daft thought.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CI GS
I’m not sure about anywhere else, but all the the insurance companies I know have entire teams of lawyers dedicated to assisting them in finding ways to deny claims, and certainly around here, the minute they hear that your car caught fire during racing they’re going to invoke their standard exemption for refusing coverage for anything remotely connected to racing, pacemaking, speeding, and/or for any modifications done to your car, etc. It’s what insurance companies do. So, I certainly won’t be using the terms “peace of mind” and “insurance agent” in the same sentence anytime soon, let alone in a discussion about fire extinguishers.
Don't go talking like you're a lawyer or something fancy like that, Sammy
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Don't go talking like you're a lawyer or something fancy like that, Sammy
Sorry. My bad. I won’t do it no mo’. Promise.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by darknit

An 8lb Kidde garage fire extinguisher and a gallon of water did little to stop the fire that engulfed my 05'. Insurance sucks, still fighting them. I definitely need a real fire suppression system in my next car. May 31 19'
Man, that really sucks. All cars should come with a fire extinguisher mounted in them, IMV. When I bought my first LS vehicle, a 1998 Z28, it was part of an order of 16 cars than our local dealer got that were supposed to be shipped to Mexico. That car came with a fire extinguisher and a road safety kit with reflectors, a flare and a bunch of other ****. Haven’t bought another GM vehicle since that came with all that. Makes me wonder why GM doesn’t do that for their domestic market? Probably some legal liability bullshit...

Get notified of new replies

To Fire suppression

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fire suppression