C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Methanol injection and e85?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 01:54 PM
rykerwolf
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Methanol injection and e85?

There’s tons of threads over this topic but after reading for a while I keep finding conflicting answers to my question.

My car is on a pretty simple LQ9 408ci setup with an F1A procharger and e85/methanol for fueling. Now i’m not sure why I was told to run 100% methanol with the e85 (maybe it’s cause it’s flex and would help in the event I used 93oct?), but always have. The blower was just recently switched and some other stuff is getting done so while the cars down I wanted to turn my attention to the methanol system. It’s a single nozzle alky control kit. I was looking into upgrading to dual nozzles for the power I’m shooting for but decided to dive back into the methanol topic. This leads me to my main concern, is methanol even necessary with e85, and if not, would running a mix be beneficial? If I could get rid of the system entirely that would be ideal as it’s kind of a hassle to fill up, fix leaks, etc. But if it will make a night and day difference for cooling I would still run it.

The car has an A&A dual pump setup with fic 1700cc injectors, which according to LG would support my 900-1000whp goal. So the methanol shouldn’t be necessary for extra fueling, which I wouldn’t want to do either way.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:24 PM
rkruse
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my understanding which anyone with more knowledge please jump in, the main benefit of methanol especially in a high octane(E85) car is reducing the charge temps without the use of a larger intercooler or an air to water interchiller setup. With the car already being on E85 you are really going to be battling heat and trying to keep the air going into the engine as cool as possible as to avoid pre detonation
Old 03-07-2024, 11:49 AM
Creamo3
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

For your power goals E85 should be sufficient, unless you're trying to compensate for an inefficient intercooler and using meth to bring down your IAT's. The problem with meth injection is that distribution isn't uniform across all cylinders and you have to tune to account for the additional fuel being injected. It's also another failure point that could have you running lean unless you have some solid fail safes in place should a pump go bad/nozzle clogged etc. Methanol as a fuel is amazing for making power/safety, however for your goals is might cause more headache than benefit.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:38 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 498 Posts

Ethanol will support 2000hp with 5L+ displacement.
300hp/Liter is a walk in the park e.g. 1500bhp from 5L

thought process
If you wanted to run methanol, switch to methanol only and replace the E85. It would be a minor benefit for your application I do not recommend that but that is how to use methanol if at all, based solely on it's toxicity and the hobbyist application premise e.g. the goal of the vehicle is not to win any racing events for sponsorship, career, fame, etc... so why should you risk your life unnecessarily by using toxic dangerous fuels as methanol. MEthanol turns into formaldehyde when it comes into contact with human alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes. It is highly cancer causing toxic liquid with other negative consequences beyond its health hazard from direct contact such as invisible flame.

I recommend for hobby apps always just be E85 which is fine. E85 is much less toxic. You can drink ethanol (Not E85 which contains gasoline but alcohol for drinking is ethanol) you're better off with ethanol. Both E85 and Methanol fuels are similar, 2 and 1 carbon alcohol. Almost the same thing. Its like taking an aspirin and Tylenol for a headache together when either one by itself would probably do the job. Methanol is just an entirely new level of toxic and unnecessary and should be reserved for those engine configs which actually require methanol as a fuel. As a cancer researcher it is more of a precautionary tale when using methanol which I use as a tissue fixative for paraffin embedding samples, for example.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:36 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

If you already have it, keep it as it will only benefit you by reducing iat’s and increasing the octane. 100% meth is all I use.
The following users liked this post:
m60gov20 (03-17-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Methanol injection and e85?

Quick Reply: Methanol injection and e85?