C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Default C6 Scanner

These two companies advertise being CAN-enabled, but neither are actually available. I want to start tuning my VE tables, but need to log ltrms.

Anybody found a product that works?

Autotap & Autoenginuity don't yet, although both website claim they do!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:44 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll copy this to tech section, since it's kind of dead in scan and tune right now.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The AutoXray 4000 does support CAN and will work with the C6. With the GM upgrade software it will display a number of parameters - I don't have the exact list, but I can get it. By itself, it will display current data or can be set to capture a small number (31, I think) of samples before and after a manual trigger.

It does support a PC interface, I believe that this can be used for data logging, although I've never tried it. You might check out the manufacturer's web site (http://www.autoxray.com/) for more info.

I have the 4000 and a C6 but don't have the PC interface cable or software. I'd be happy to provide any info I can, or lend you my scanner to try out (as I say, I don't have the PC interface so you'd still have to buy that).

As a footnote, the AutoXray 4000 runs about $250 and the GM upgrade another $50. I believe that the AutoXray 4000 / 5000 / 6000 are all the same basic product with different packaging. The 4000 has the scanner and OBDII cable; the 5000 includes OBDI cables, the 6000 includes PC cable and software - as I recall. In any case, the cables and software are also available separately.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The 4000 is $369 plus $50 for the GM stuff, according to their site, but it does look promising. The 5000 comes with the PC cable, but is over $500 (wow!)

From their site, I can't tell if it comes with the PC cable or not?? I have to be able to download data into a spreadsheet so that you can average data cells.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Try http://www.tooltopia.com/ and search for scanner.

Best I can tell, here's the breakdown:

4000 includes OBD-II cable for '96 - current cars, PC cable for upgrades: $243 at tooltopia.

5000 same as 4000 plus OBD-I cables for '83 - 95 GM, Ford, Chrysler: $346 at tooltopia.

6000 same as 5000 plus mfg-specific upgrades and PC software:
$465 at tooltopia.

GM enhancement for 4000 and 5000: $50 from AutoXray (it's already on the device, you buy an enable code to use it).

EZ-PC 500 PC data capture software with cable for 4000 and 5000: $90 from AutoXray.

The ability to read and reset codes without at trip to the dealer: priceless.

So the cheapest route is the 4000 plus GM upgrade plus PC cable and software, around $400 with shipping. The 6000 would be a better deal if you want to work on pre-OBD-II cars or other brands.

I may go on and order the PC link cable and software - I'll have to try to scare up a laptop with Microsoft® Windows™ on it - I don't have one handy, but probably can find one laying around.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for the updated. I've got an email into them, and will let you know what they say. If it sounds like it can do what I need, I'm ready to buy!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Buffy, have you actually logged ltrms, etc??? I know they say the enhanced GM stuff works, but want to confirm. I'm likely to order today if you can confirm this. MAF, ltrms, rpm, temps, etc.

Thanks for the website, those prices are great.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Buffy
Drifting

I haven't actually logged anything, because I don't have the PC software. I assume (and we know that can get us in trouble) that with the PC logging software you can log the same data that shows in monitor mode. I can't think why it would be any different, but I can't swear to it!

I do have the GM "enhancement", and I'm sure I've seen both short- and long-term left and right fuel trims there, along with MAF, MAP, temps, load, timing and misfire history. I don't remember exactly what else - there are two or three dozen items. I can run a scan and post what it shows, but not until some time this evening.

I'll offer again - if you want to try it without springing for one, I'll pack it up and send it down. You'd still need to buy the PC software to try that.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C6 PCM has more then 3 dozen parameters.
I have been a beta tester for JR of Teamzr1 who recently tuned my C6 and the Ease scanner I see about 250 parameters just for the engine and can scan about 60 parameters at same time per screen

Originally Posted by Buffy
I do have the GM "enhancement", and I'm sure I've seen both short- and long-term left and right fuel trims there, along with MAF, MAP, temps, load, timing and misfire history. I don't remember exactly what else - there are two or three dozen items. I can run a scan and post what it shows, but not until some time this evening.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

ordered the AutoXray-Thanks!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:27 AM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Auterra claims CAN capability and looks respectable. Does anyone know if this works on LS2/7?

http://www.auterraweb.com/dyforwiusb.html
Old 12-10-2005, 02:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

it should, however, I don't know if they have the GM enhanced protocols, or just generic OBD2 (trouble codes and basic parameters)
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on my limited understanding of these widgets, it appears that I could use the AXR4000 to turn off the Check Engine Light that is on based on my LG Long Tube Headers and that it would also give me a list of the codes that were causing the CEL. Correct?

Also, will this gizmo allow me to mate a new set of OEM wheels to the wheel sensor circuits in the car's pcm? I want to run an extra set of OEM wheels at the track with race rubber.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

it will cut the codes off temporarily, but if you have one of the ultra-sensitive cars, the codes will likely come back.

You will need to program your car via LS2edit, HPTuners, or have a pro do it, if you want the tables properly adjusted for your mods.

I don't know if this unit will do the wheel sensors, but I doubt it.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mako7
Based on my limited understanding of these widgets, it appears that I could use the AXR4000 to turn off the Check Engine Light that is on based on my LG Long Tube Headers and that it would also give me a list of the codes that were causing the CEL. Correct?

Also, will this gizmo allow me to mate a new set of OEM wheels to the wheel sensor circuits in the car's pcm? I want to run an extra set of OEM wheels at the track with race rubber.

Thanks!
The 4000 will turn off the light, and it will give you the codes that caused it. This may help you understand the reason for it coming on, but it won't fix the underlying problem - if it turns out to be a change needed in the computer you'll need tuning software like LS2edit for that. Of course if it's something like a loose O2S connection then it'll lead you to it.

It won't help with the wheel sensors, either. The computer can be told to recognize new wheel sensors by doing a sequence with the parking light switch, however the wheel sensors need to be told to "speak up" to be recognized. This requires a special tool that sends a radio signal at 125KHz to the sensors. These are available from Bartec (there's a thread about getting one at a forum discount).
Old 12-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffy
The 4000 will turn off the light, and it will give you the codes that caused it. This may help you understand the reason for it coming on, but it won't fix the underlying problem - if it turns out to be a change needed in the computer you'll need tuning software like LS2edit for that. Of course if it's something like a loose O2S connection then it'll lead you to it.

It won't help with the wheel sensors, either. The computer can be told to recognize new wheel sensors by doing a sequence with the parking light switch, however the wheel sensors need to be told to "speak up" to be recognized. This requires a special tool that sends a radio signal at 125KHz to the sensors. These are available from Bartec (there's a thread about getting one at a forum discount).
Thanks very much!

I will need to wait for LS7 Edit to come out for the tuners to dyno tune my car. I am running cats and o2 sensors with the headers, the CEL just somes on. It may stay off if turned off.

I suspected a separate tool would be required for the wheel sensors.

Thanks for your efforts!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted_z06
C6 PCM has more then 3 dozen parameters.
I have been a beta tester for JR of Teamzr1 who recently tuned my C6 and the Ease scanner I see about 250 parameters just for the engine and can scan about 60 parameters at same time per screen

Same here

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Scanner

Quick Reply: C6 Scanner