C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 VE Table Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 VE Table Tuning

I just finished tuning the virtual VE Table for my 08 Vette. The car runs much, much better and the MAF Table needed very little adjustment. The stock equations are not optimized in any way and the low end was very lean. Looking at the VE Table, there were 2 areas that touched 100% VE. This is unlike other LSX VE Tables. What I ended up doing was starting from an 05 VE Table and tweaking from there.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

PM sent. Hoping for a little guidance. Thanks.

Jim
Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

I ended up using Bluecat's EQ_VE program. Also, PM sent
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Vette
I just finished tuning the virtual VE Table for my 08 Vette. The car runs much, much better and the MAF Table needed very little adjustment. The stock equations are not optimized in any way and the low end was very lean. Looking at the VE Table, there were 2 areas that touched 100% VE. This is unlike other LSX VE Tables. What I ended up doing was starting from an 05 VE Table and tweaking from there.
You're referring to EFI LIVE software?

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 02-13-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that on my 2007 and it made a huge difference in throttle response both at the track and for everyday driving. It did take a lot of driving around while logging with a wideband but it was definitely worth the effort.

To give you one example of how it changed things for the better, when I pull out of the water box at the track I typically just punch the throttle to get the tires coated. What used to happen before I did the VE tuning was that the car would bog (for want of a better term) before starting to spin the wheels. Now when I punch the throttle in that situation the tires break free instantly.

This also helped while staging at the lights because now all I have to do is give it very light throttle pressure to get up to my launch RPM (about 1500) and I've actually had to learn to give it less pressure since it shoots up so quickly now.

It's definitely worth doing in my opinion.

Christopher
Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Brian, thanks for your reply. Couple of followup questions. Have you seen CPig's writeup from HPTuners forum. Is that the method you followed? DId you us a wideband to tune your VE or use the LTFT and STFT? I know you mentioned using it for the maf table. How did you send your 08 into SD and open loop mode. CPigs write up gives great step by step directions but in the end he states you should disconnect the MAF to ensure SD mode. I know I cut the wires temporarily on my 04. I prefer not to do this. Ultimately, how are you all going into SD open loop mode. As I told TX Vette, I scan the HPTuners forum daily but have not seen a step by step guide for tuning the VE tables for an 08. I have the general jist of using Bluecats program and have plug my current tables into it. Why did you use an 05 VE table vs Bluecats program. SOunds like my answers are in "THetuningSchool" program but I just rather spend the $450 on something else. THanks.

Jim
Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Does this work on an 08:
1: Unplug MAF sensor

2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES!

3: Change all points to 1.13 in the Open Loop F/A vs ECT vs MAP table (commands AFR of 13.0)

4: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table to 250* (Disables closed loop)

5: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table (computer reverts to low octane table when MAF is unplugged, this assure’s optimal timing)

6: Change all points in the Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs RPM table to 1.0 (disables PE mode)

7: Use your wideband and HPT histogram to verify AFR of 13.0 dum

8: Make adjustments to the VE table accordingly to dial in a 13.0 AFR using
the desired formula - current afr/13.0 = VE multiplier
example: cell @ 1600 rpm Map 50 is showing the air/fuel to be at dum11.7dumin the histogram. dum11.7/13.0=0.9 Lets say that your VE table has a value of 48 listed at 1600 rpm, Map 50. Using the above formula you would multiply that value times (.9). 48*.9=43.2. 43.2 would be your new VE value. dumContinue using this formula until all data has been plotted.

9: Hand smooth VE as described by Magnus (a smooth VE results in crisper throttle response), upload new .bin and repeat steps 7 and 8 until all cells in the histogram are 12.8 - 13.2.

10: Change all points in Open Loop F/A vs ECT vs MAP table back to stock (re-enable stoich commanded AFR) see step 3.

11: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table back to stock (re-enables closed loop operation and fuel trim leaning) see step 4.

12: Change all points in the Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs. RPM table back to stock (re-enables PE mode) see step 6.

13: Use wideband and PE table to dial in desired WOT AFR. (Optimum HP at WOT).
Old 02-13-2009, 06:04 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
Brian, thanks for your reply. Couple of followup questions. Have you seen CPig's writeup from HPTuners forum. Is that the method you followed? DId you us a wideband to tune your VE or use the LTFT and STFT? I know you mentioned using it for the maf table. How did you send your 08 into SD and open loop mode. CPigs write up gives great step by step directions but in the end he states you should disconnect the MAF to ensure SD mode. I know I cut the wires temporarily on my 04. I prefer not to do this. Ultimately, how are you all going into SD open loop mode. As I told TX Vette, I scan the HPTuners forum daily but have not seen a step by step guide for tuning the VE tables for an 08. I have the general jist of using Bluecats program and have plug my current tables into it. Why did you use an 05 VE table vs Bluecats program. SOunds like my answers are in "THetuningSchool" program but I just rather spend the $450 on something else. THanks.

Jim
Jim:

I put the car in open loop and installed a Wideband O2 Sensor in the passenger side exhaust manifold for all VE and MAF Calibrations. No need to unplug the MAF.

To put into open loop for tuning:

1. Engine>Fuel Control>OL & CL> Set the Closed Temp to 284*
2. In the same tab, set the Open Loop Gas and Gear to 1.13 and set Airflow Gain, IVT Gain, InjTemp Gain, AIR Gain (Gear), AIR Gain (P/N), Misfire and EQ Ratio Min to 1.00 to ensure you are requesting 13:1 AFR at all times.
3. Set the Long Term Fuel Trims Min ECT to 280*. This is still in the same tab.
4. Go to the Power Erich> EQ Ratio vs. RPM and set all cells to 1.13.
5. Engine>Fuel Control>COT and disable the COT. This will alter the AFR if the cats get hot and makes tuning inconsistent.
6. Engine>Fuel Control>Fuel Cutoff and set the DFCO Enable Temp to 284*. What is does is cuts the injectors when you are coasting. The AFR will exceed 20 and will skew your numbers.
7. Engine>Fuel Control>Fuel Cutoff and set the CFCO Enable ECT to 284* for the same reason as DFCO.

The idea is to command a certain AFR (1.13 = 13.0:1) and tune the VE table to acheive this AFR.

If you want to tune the VE Table, you will need to disable the MAF.

1. Engine Diag>Airflow>MAF Fail High and set this to 0Hz
2. Engine Diag>Airflow>DTC>P0101, P0102 and P0103 and uncheck the SES Enable. This way you don't have to look at the SES light while tuning.
3. Engine>Spark Control and copy the High Octane Table to the Low Octane Table. Don't worry about the DOD table since you don't have it. Without the MAF, you are in speed density and this will default to the Low Octane Table.

Once I loaded the stock equations into the EQ-VE Program, There were 2 areas where the VE reaches 100%. The stock VE table was way off and decided to use the LS2 VE Table for a 2005 Corvette. The adjustments were much smaller and the VE Table looks as it should.

Last edited by Brian@RPT; 02-13-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
Does this work on an 08:
1: Unplug MAF sensor

2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES!

3: Change all points to 1.13 in the Open Loop F/A vs ECT vs MAP table (commands AFR of 13.0)

4: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table to 250* (Disables closed loop)

5: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table (computer reverts to low octane table when MAF is unplugged, this assure’s optimal timing)

6: Change all points in the Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs RPM table to 1.0 (disables PE mode)

7: Use your wideband and HPT histogram to verify AFR of 13.0 dum

8: Make adjustments to the VE table accordingly to dial in a 13.0 AFR using
the desired formula - current afr/13.0 = VE multiplier
example: cell @ 1600 rpm Map 50 is showing the air/fuel to be at dum11.7dumin the histogram. dum11.7/13.0=0.9 Lets say that your VE table has a value of 48 listed at 1600 rpm, Map 50. Using the above formula you would multiply that value times (.9). 48*.9=43.2. 43.2 would be your new VE value. dumContinue using this formula until all data has been plotted.

9: Hand smooth VE as described by Magnus (a smooth VE results in crisper throttle response), upload new .bin and repeat steps 7 and 8 until all cells in the histogram are 12.8 - 13.2.

10: Change all points in Open Loop F/A vs ECT vs MAP table back to stock (re-enable stoich commanded AFR) see step 3.

11: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table back to stock (re-enables closed loop operation and fuel trim leaning) see step 4.

12: Change all points in the Power Enrich Fuel Multiplier vs. RPM table back to stock (re-enables PE mode) see step 6.

13: Use wideband and PE table to dial in desired WOT AFR. (Optimum HP at WOT).

This was the old LS1/LS6 method and the later LSX motors are similar. There are more tables to adjust especially in disabling closed loop.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

To use EQ_VE, you have to have the application open. Also, have your open loop/speed density tune open as well.

1. Go to General Airflow and open VE Lo Altd and leave open.
2. Go to Dynamic Airflow and open Zone RPM Boundries and Zone MAP Boundries.
3. Go to Speed Density and open Constant, MAF Square, MAP, MAP.RPM, RPM and RPM Square and leave all of these open.
4. Go back to EQ_VE and go to HP Tuner Hooks.
5. Click on Copy Equation from HP Tuner and click OK.
6. Once that is complete, click on Gen Table and you can save if you want.
7. Click on VE Table and there it is.
8. Click on Edits in order to edit the table.
9. If you click on analysis modifying, you can apply AFR error data from HP Tuners Sanner. Make sure the right histogram is open and you can multiply the VE table by the data from the scanner.
10. Once you are happy with that, close the VE Table.
11. Click on Gen Equation.
12. Go to HP Tuner Hooks and Send equations to HP Tuner.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Brian, you da man. THanks a million.

Jim
Old 02-13-2009, 06:38 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
You're referring to EFI LIVE software?

BJK

I am using HP Tuners MPVI
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I am using HP Tuners MPVI
I have an '08 and HP Tuners also. You guys are way ahead of me in the knowledge department. I'd really like to see the tune that you came up with.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

I can do that

Get notified of new replies

To 08 VE Table Tuning

Quick Reply: 08 VE Table Tuning