C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare ECM

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spare ECM

I’ve read a number of posts that suggested swapping out the stock ECM with a spare when tuning to avoid detection in the 09. Has anyone tried this?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure that will work. Something about the car's VIN being tagged to the ECM. Also, there are several computers in our cars and they all talk to one another. Someone with tuning skills will probably chime in and have a response.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 PM
0ian@thetuningschool
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There as been a lot of people who buy i spare ecm and tune it. As long as you know some with a Tech 2 that can pair the ECM with the VIN number it will work. But if you tune the car and swap back in the OEM calibration and GM does a check on the ECM, they wont know the difference.

Ian
Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

what does a ecm cost, new or used?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne

Originally Posted by george vee
what does a ecm cost, new or used?

E38 $129 programmed and VIN matched

http://ecuoutlet.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=57
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 PM
budmont
Drifting

Originally Posted by ian@thetuningschool
There as been a lot of people who buy i spare ecm and tune it. As long as you know some with a Tech 2 that can pair the ECM with the VIN number it will work. But if you tune the car and swap back in the OEM calibration and GM does a check on the ECM, they wont know the difference.

Ian
A few sites allegedly will program and VIN match the ECM if you choose to supply your VIN.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
rebel7777
Intermediate

I thought this could be done with EFILive, am I missing something? I have a spare ECM for my truck that I swap out with no issues.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
rebel7777
Intermediate

Originally Posted by budmont
E38 $129 programmed and VIN matched

http://ecuoutlet.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=57
For that price it's worth the 2nd ECM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
1badzo6
Advanced

Originally Posted by ian@thetuningschool

Ian
What about the 2008 and newer Vettes.
Its been back and forth that 2007 and under, they will never know if switched back to the oem calibration, but 2008 and newer, they can tell how many times its been re-flashed. Is this true?????
I am about to purchase a second PCM for this purpose, and have a good friend with a Tech II tool, am I wasting my money??
Thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 1badzo6
What about the 2008 and newer Vettes.
Its been back and forth that 2007 and under, they will never know if switched back to the oem calibration, but 2008 and newer, they can tell how many times its been re-flashed. Is this true?????
I am about to purchase a second PCM for this purpose, and have a good friend with a Tech II tool, am I wasting my money??
Thanks
Don't know why the 08 would be any different than earlier years, they all use same ecu, E38.

when I bought my 08, I asked the dealership's World Class Master Tech if anyone could tell if an 08 could be flashed and then returned to stock. He said NO! Diesels YES. I had a similar conversation with him this year and got same reply. I have talked to a world class tech at a local Caddy dealer. I was told same thing.

The developers of a certain tuning software package have made the same claim. They also claim that the E38 has the ability to track changes but GM has not actually implemented it.

There is also a world class tech who operates a website. He claims he can even tell when a ecu has been changed. I questioned this and he said he could not divulge his technique. Must be mystic powers.

Chris White of White Automotive also sells ecu's and also programmed for GM. Contact him and ask him his opinion.

Bottom line, I have asked a number of people their educated opinions about changing ecu's. I know what the consensus is. My problem is I am not a betting man!

GL!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM
1badzo6
Advanced

[QUOTE=Chalky;1571729899]Don't know why the 08 would be any different than earlier years, they all use same ecu, E38.

The developers of a certain tuning software package have made the same claim. They also claim that the E38 has the ability to track changes but GM has not actually implemented it.

There is also a world class tech who operates a website. He claims he can even tell when a ecu has been changed. I questioned this and he said he could not divulge his technique. Must be mystic powers.

Chris White of White Automotive also sells ecu's and also programmed for GM. Contact him and ask him his opinion.

Do you have a link or contact for White Automotive.

These guys (E38 $129 programmed and VIN matchedhttp://ecuoutlet.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=57) Dont respond.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

[quote=1badzo6;1571746812]
Originally Posted by Chalky
Don't know why the 08 would be any different than earlier years, they all use same ecu, E38.

Sending PM!

These guys (E38 $129 programmed and VIN matchedhttp://ecuoutlet.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=57) Dont respond.
Thanks
Sending PM!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM
1badzo6
Advanced

[QUOTE=Chalky;1571747363]
Originally Posted by 1badzo6

Sending PM!
Chalky,
Check your pm box,
thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 PM
budmont
Drifting

[QUOTE=1badzo6;1571746812]
Originally Posted by Chalky

Thanks
Here it is but they never have any in stock nor will they respond to requests for availability.

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 07:38 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

I guess you guys are concerned if GM could tell the flash was performed for warranty reasons?

Get notified of new replies

To Spare ECM

Quick Reply: Spare ECM