C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A REAL Question about Tunes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Jolan
Advanced

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

The Magnuson-Moss act was only designed to allow other manufacturers to produce oem equivalent parts that wont void your warranty. If it didn't, you would have to have delco filters, delco plugs, delco fluids, etc. to stay legal. MM has nothing to do with aftermarket performance parts. If you are modded then the dealer doesn't have to prove squat to void your warranty if he thinks it is the reason for the current problem.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolan
The Magnuson-Moss act was only designed to allow other manufacturers to produce oem equivalent parts that wont void your warranty. If it didn't, you would have to have delco filters, delco plugs, delco fluids, etc. to stay legal. MM has nothing to do with aftermarket performance parts. If you are modded then the dealer doesn't have to prove squat to void your warranty if he thinks it is the reason for the current problem.
These guys would beg to differ....
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used (see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jabbott
Mike,
Then yours will be the first. Notice I did not mention the predetor because we do not use and I have not tested it first hand. I can tell you that all of the others do including HP and EFI and I believe those are a little more in depth then the predator. So before you say incorrect, you do not have the only tuner out there and that was a blanket statement I made. If you would like to bring two cars I would be more the happy to check them for you.
While it may not seem on the surface that the Predator is as 'in depth' as the full tuning suites, what you have to understand is that the tuning side and the interface side are 2 totally different things, and we have our GM interfaces down pat. I have personally seen one of our competitors handheld devices show a bad CVN on a LMM duramax, and then we flashed it 4 more times with the Predator, and the last CVN that showed was the same bad one from the other handheld. The Predator flashes DO NOT even show up. It is pretty slick.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many of these posts have we read? If you tune your car, GM can thumb their nose at you when you break it. If you want to fight them in court, the cost will kill you, unless it's small claims and then it's a crap shoot.

When I lived in southern California the dealer that serviced my car (I had museum delivery) told me he would do drive line warranty repairs despite the tune on my car. When I moved to North Carolina, I went to the local dealer to have my top adjusted and I asked their Corvette person if they would do drive line repairs if I had tuned my car. He said yes they would, citing a recent example of replacing a decimated LS7 engine that was supercharged.

So, what this comes down to is the dealer. Most of these guys pay keep the lights on with warranty work and they're not apt to throw it away in this economy. If you're not having your car serviced at the dealer to save a couple of bucks, you're throwing away an important relationship that allows you to ask the service manager about what he will or will not do for you. So, ask!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Mike,
I fully understand what you are saying, I would just like to see it in person. I still do not agree with anyone getting their car warrantied in event that they caused a problem and not GM.
Seevi, that is the way it used to be. The problem now is the dealers hands are tied on larger items. I don't think GM is asking them for tune info if your diff or trans failed. However if you have a bad engine they are asking for a readout on the Tech2 which is something the dealer has no control over. Either way it pays to be fairly close to your dealer if your car is under warranty. It also pays to make sure that your parts and your tunes are being done correctly.
Thanks
Justin
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jabbott
It also pays to make sure that your parts and your tunes are being done correctly.
Thanks
Justin
That's the real key here....

Quick Reply: A REAL Question about Tunes...