C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL Light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
mikefili
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CEL Light on

Took my Z out today and the Check Engine Light came on. I have an EFI Live that has never been hooked up to this car, Can anyone please give me some help with what to do to find out what caused the CEL light to come on? Also how I would clear the code using EFI Live?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

You run the EFILive Scan software. It will read the code(s) and if you want you can remove all of the codes.

Click info / Diagnostic Trouble codes Or you can "Shift + F8"

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 12-06-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
Took my Z out today and the Check Engine Light came on. I have an EFI Live that has never been hooked up to this car, Can anyone please give me some help with what to do to find out what caused the CEL light to come on? Also how I would clear the code using EFI Live?
Did you get gas(the car, not you)? Maybe the gas cap is not tight. Did you change anything with the air breather lately?

You can disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to clear the CEL. If there is an ongoing problem, the CEL will come back on and you can check for codes.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Did you get gas(the car, not you)? Maybe the gas cap is not tight. Did you change anything with the air breather lately?

You can disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to clear the CEL. If there is an ongoing problem, the CEL will come back on and you can check for codes.
I thought the 2007s and up didn't clear the CEL with the battery trick?

Elmer
Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 AM
mikefili
Pro

First thing I checked was the cap, although I did not get gas, it was tight. I changed or replaced nothing. I have used the EFI Live on my 09 Vert and have entered and replaced tunes with it, I have never tried the scan portion of the program. What do I do, just hook it up with the car in ACC mode no engine running and click on scan? Like I say I have very limited experience with EFI Live and only used it to download tunes in a previous car.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM
eboggs_jkvl

First thing I checked was the cap, although I did not get gas, it was tight. I changed or replaced nothing. I have used the EFI Live on my 09 Vert and have entered and replaced tunes with it, I have never tried the scan portion of the program. What do I do, just hook it up with the car in ACC mode no engine running and click on scan? Like I say I have very limited experience with EFI Live and only used it to download tunes in a previous car.

Naw, the scan is for reading the actual results of the tune while the car is running. Things like LTFTs, spark advance, Knock retard, RPMs, MAF flow, and the like.

Hook it up, run "Verify PIDs", and see what you're engine is doing.

Here is a screen-shot of what I usually monitor on my "Dashboard".

Elmer
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I thought the 2007s and up didn't clear the CEL with the battery trick?

Elmer
Cleared the CEL on my 09 Z06 when I was messing with the intake.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Cleared the CEL on my 09 Z06 when I was messing with the intake.

Did it clear it from history too or is it still in history. The older ones cleaned out the history with this battery removal method.

Elmer
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Did it clear it from history too or is it still in history. The older ones cleaned out the history with this battery removal method.

Elmer
Don't know. Does it matter? It cleared the CEL and that's what I wanted to happen.

If my CEL comes back on, the code will be present at that time, to be seen by the dealer's tech. Does it matter what happned a year ago to cause the CEL to come on if nothing's wrong today? If something happens tomorrow to cause the CEL to lite, then the Tech will be able to read the current code tomorrow and perform the corrective procedure.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM
mikefili
Pro

I have been trying to load the program into my new laptop, I keep getting an error code 740 or 704, 740 I think, EFI help tell me that I need to be registered as administrator, well I am ane I still can't load it. I guess I will fire up my old laptop and try to use that one. It I have used that one in the past. I still am not sure how to read codes once hooked up to the car, all I have ever done is load different tunes into my past C6, can someone give me a short detail of what to do once I plug into the car in order to read and clear the CEL please?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 AM
eboggs_jkvl

I have been trying to load the program into my new laptop, I keep getting an error code 740 or 704, 740 I think, EFI help tell me that I need to be registered as administrator, well I am ane I still can't load it. I guess I will fire up my old laptop and try to use that one. It I have used that one in the past. I still am not sure how to read codes once hooked up to the car, all I have ever done is load different tunes into my past C6, can someone give me a short detail of what to do once I plug into the car in order to read and clear the CEL please?
Go to the EFILive forum and look around for information on those codes. If you can't find anything, make a thread. They are very good at responding to users in distress. Hell, I practically lived there until I got some idea of how to use this stuff.

Get the software loaded on your PC AND get the latest software for your interface and then we'll do the connection stuff.

When you're current, I do:

Plug in to DTC, plug into V2 handheld, connect V2 handheld to laptop, open scanning software, click on "connect", tell it what type of ECM I have", click on record, and I'm scanning. The first time you hook up, you will need to "Verify your PIDs". The PIDs you want to monitor need to be selected (don't select all or you won't get squat) I have 19 selected for 24 channels (some PIDs need 2 channels). You will probably need to adjust your dashboard initially to display the PIDs you've selected (not too hard, a right click, a menu selection and it's done). I've already displayed the screen I use and I can help you with your setup but you need to get it loaded onto the laptop that YOU want.

Elmer
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 AM
mikefili
Pro

got it solved, the code was P204, relating to the cat converter. Light now to see if it stays out. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
eboggs_jkvl

got it solved, the code was P204, relating to the cat converter. Light now to see if it stays out. Thanks everyone for the help.

I'm glad you have it solved. Usually the codes are 4 digits P1000 or P0123 something like that.

Post up if the problem persists.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To CEL Light on

Quick Reply: CEL Light on