C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

midrange sputter after switching to E

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default midrange sputter after switching to E

Got my Ysi boosted vette tuned at JMS in San Antonio about 4 months ago after swapping to E-85 from a 93 tune and now the car all-the-sudden started to slightly shake and sputter (like a lean condition feeling) in the midrange RPM. We just got the ID2000s flowed and the inline fuel filter changed out from a cellophane to a stainless unit. Next we plan to drop the tanks and see how the fuel socks look on the Fore Innovations Triple pump setup. If they are anywhere near as dirty as the 88mm inline filter, they will be restrictive possible causing a lean condition. Car almost feels like the ECM lost the tune. Idle is good, WOT is terrible in the midrange but cleans up up top. Thoughts?

MODS:
ERL 427 Superdeck 6 bolt shortblock (M5)
TFS 255cc Gen-X heads
10 rib Ysi 2200X 2.75 pulley upper and 10 O/D IW lower
Full Fore fuel system (2000hp model) larger FAST rails
ID2000s
Speed density tuned by JMS in San Antonio

Last edited by bp92gsr; 04-12-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You can never lose your tune--even if the battery goes dead the base tune cannot change
The only thing that can change is the "learning" of your fuel trims--This normally takes about 50 miles of normal driving--the more your engine is modded the longer it takes to learn out
If you suspect a problem either rich or lean at throttle tip in or mid range this can be caused by several issues----The only way to find out exactly why is to have your car data logged---
E85 requires a lot more timing so data logging the actual timing can determine if it's a timing issue----as far as fuel is concerned Ethanol uses typically 30% more fuel---Data logging your AFR's with a wideband is the only way to see exactly what your actual AFR is
I run a 2014 C7 converted to E85 but the similarities are almost the same---At WOT I record 30* of timing with 70% ethanol---that is 6 more than all gas--At P/T you can see as much as 14* more timing
Did your tuner input all the correct P/T AFR values ? and the correct WOT fuel values?
At WOT the AFR should be commanded at approx .83 lamda---
If your car ran fine for awhile then went south this would indicate something else---Like after learning out the tune was so far off that it created your issues----
I would make sure you check your Ethanol % content---to make sure your E85 sensor is working----Someone with HP or EFILIVE can check those values-------Or install an Ethanol % gauge-----Start with checking this 1st
PS I dynoed my bolt on C7 on gas and then with 70% ethanol and I was pleased that it showed 25-30 more RWHP-------I love E85 !!!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Why not just measure fuel pressure and AFR and see what is actually going on before you start dropping tanks and doing unnecessary stuff?

Dropping tanks or throwing parts at it without more data isn't a very good way to move forward.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but tblu is close to being right on this one

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-13-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Originally Posted by tblu92
You can never lose your tune--even if the battery goes dead the base tune cannot change
The only thing that can change is the "learning" of your fuel trims--This normally takes about 50 miles of normal driving--the more your engine is modded the longer it takes to learn out
If you suspect a problem either rich or lean at throttle tip in or mid range this can be caused by several issues----The only way to find out exactly why is to have your car data logged---
E85 requires a lot more timing so data logging the actual timing can determine if it's a timing issue----as far as fuel is concerned Ethanol uses typically 30% more fuel---Data logging your AFR's with a wideband is the only way to see exactly what your actual AFR is
I run a 2014 C7 converted to E85 but the similarities are almost the same---At WOT I record 30* of timing with 70% ethanol---that is 6 more than all gas--At P/T you can see as much as 14* more timing
Did your tuner input all the correct P/T AFR values ? and the correct WOT fuel values?
If your car ran fine for awhile then went south this would indicate something else---Like after learning out the tune was so far off that it created your issues----
I would make sure you check your Ethanol % content---to make sure your E85 sensor is working----Someone with HP or EFILIVE can check those values-------Or install an Ethanol % gauge-----Start with checking this 1st
PS I dynoed my bolt on C7 on gas and then with 70% ethanol and I was pleased that it showed 25-30 more RWHP-------I love E85 !!!
I was told the same about never being able to lose the tune but some, on extremely rare occasions have experienced it. I plan to have the car logged very soon and may very well get it retuned by a different tuner but I will say that the original tuner regularly tunes 1000+ hp cars and has a ton of good feedback. I would like to think that he knew what he was doing with the AFR inputs and timing. The crazy thing is, this car ran very good for months after getting it back from the dyno tune session in San Antonio. I live in OKC which really isn't too much different weather wise. The issue at hand is that this WOT sputter started happening very gradually (almost unnoticeable) to very noticeable in a small period of time (maybe 1 month). A few guys that I've talked to about this believe that the E-85 could have cleaned out all the gunk caked on this inside of the fuel system from regular pump gas and in the tanks or loosened it up enough to start clogging filters intank and externally. Honestly, it makes sense but we haven't been able to take the tanks out yet. This is my next step. If the intank pump sock filters are anything like the inline was, they will be restrictive. The inline was pretty dark and dirty.

Last edited by bp92gsr; 04-13-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

And yes, I am very familiar with the burning properties of E-85. It burns 30% more, likes higher timing, runs cooler, and is approximately 105 octane. The entire fuel system in this car was designed to run E-85 and could also run E-100 with an additive. I plan to install a fuel pressure guage at the regulater soon; just havent gotten around to it.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

It does sound plausible that something is going on due to E85 gunk breaking lose or clogging something up. Fuel pressure up near rails and some time with a wideband should figure it out pretty quick.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:38 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
It does sound plausible that something is going on due to E85 gunk breaking lose or clogging something up. Fuel pressure up near rails and some time with a wideband should figure it out pretty quick.
Yeah, I have the Innovate ECB-1 gauge that monitors 4 channels (boost, fuel temp, AFR, and ethanol content %). I can also do some data logging with it but haven't figured out that part yet.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:29 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Check with forum member DSteck in Austin, as he is close to you. He is all over this type of setup.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:38 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Originally Posted by jim2092
Check with forum member DSteck in Austin, as he is close to you. He is all over this type of setup.
I'll check with him although he's not too much closer than the original tuner.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

He is a master tuner and an expert in E85 in Corvettes. Just what you need .
Old 04-13-2017, 06:09 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

He's a master tuner? I've never heard of him and I feel that I am pretty familiar with the well known guys.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:14 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

Just PM'd him. Hopefully he will get with me before I go making some bad decisions lol.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

He's new to the area if I recall. He's the one that figured out all the E85 stuff for these cars.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
He's new to the area if I recall. He's the one that figured out all the E85 stuff for these cars.
he wasn't able to help me because I have not logged any data. Once is do, I'll shoot it over to him.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Which is pretty much the first thing you should have done

Logging, that is.

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-14-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:00 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

With Higher HP E85 engines you should also check your duty cycles of your injectors--The added 30% of fuel may run your DC above the industry standard of 80% Again the only way is to log your duty cycles----At WOT with to small of an injector they are pretty much open all the time anyway But at mid range or throttle tip in if your injectors are too small and maxed out this would create a leaness temporarily--- What injectors do you have ? and are they rated at 3 bar or 4 bar ???? Stock ??
Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

With Higher HP E85 engines you should also check your duty cycles of your injectors--The added 30% of fuel may run your DC above the industry standard of 80% Again the only way is to log your duty cycles----At WOT with to small of an injector they are pretty much open all the time anyway But at mid range or throttle tip in if your injectors are too small and maxed out this would create a leaness temporarily--- What injectors do you have ? and are they rated at 3 bar or 4 bar ???? Stock ??
Might want to read what the OP said originally.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

If you think the problem is fuel socks in the tanks, try this before pulling the tanks. Remove the fuel cap. Disconnect the fuel line at the fire wall connection. Send a low pressure blast of compressed air down the tube toward the tank.
It will clean the sock if it's dirty. put it back together and run it. It won't run very long before the sock is plugged again. But it should run good for a little while if the sock is dirty. If running good for a while and then reverting back to sputtering, then pull the tanks. If it never runs good after the air blast, its most likely not the tanks socks.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

From my research, E85 likes LESS timing at light loads. Obviously more at high load. This is how oem flex vehicles that I've looked at are setup and how I setup my flex timing table.

Get notified of new replies

To midrange sputter after switching to E

Quick Reply: midrange sputter after switching to E